Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how much freedom of dress you have

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much freedom of dress you have
    Posted: November 19 2003 at 2:47am
I was just wondering how much freedom you guys have in dressing for work. What you do for work and if there is a dress code, whether or not you may wear jeans. And if you may, whether or not you normally do, and whether having this freedom means a lot to you.

I am doing all I can to work in a field where I may wear jeans. Except in certain professions, I would be reluctant to dress smarter than I do, including wearing "business casuals". I would under normal circumstances only accept a job requiring me to wear a tie if I were desperate. And I would refuse all jobs that require me to cut my hair or shave off my beard.

Do they tell you how to wear your hair_
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2003 at 7:06am
I work for a Fortune 500 company at the corporate headquarters where the code is business casual. Men typically don't wear ties/suits (polos are the norm) but such outfits are not out of place. Women wear khakis/sweaters/virtually anything that isn't jeans. We have casual Fridays for charity fundraisers every so often where you donate a dollar and get to wear jeans. Most people do, with the exception of most executives.

I tend to dress more professionally than most of my colleagues, primarily because I am 22 and one of the youngest people in the entire worldwide corporation (I LOVE how that sounds .) I wear a suit once a week, a lot of pants and silk tops and plenty of knee-high boots, tweed or plaid skirts and chunky turtlenecks, as they are called. I buy almost everything from the back half of Banana Republic and the Ann Taylor outlet.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2003 at 7:08am
Duke I just noticed your question about hair. My company has no policy on hair. Mine is getting close to being among the longest at headquarters (and there are 1,000+ people in this building alone--how cool is that?!?!) My boss and I decided I would probably look nice with a short cut but I'm just not ready for that. I like being distinguished with long hair admist a sea of shorties. Someday, perhaps. Just not today.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2003 at 2:25pm
My company doesn't have a dress code. There are about 25 employees. Some wear jeans every day, others dress up every day. Most of us, myself included, will vary our dress according to how we feel, what's clean, or if we have a meeting or visitors that require us to dress more professional.

Some people look neat and good even in jeans, others get a little too sloppy and do not even look like they're employed. Friday is jeans day for most everyone regardless of how they dress the rest of the week. There are however, 1 or 2 men who never wear jeans - ever.

Twanda
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 4:36am
Twanda - what does your company do?

Lyris - if there's no hair policy, why was it a topic of discussion with your boss?

I hope you keep your hair long. It looks nice and as far as I'm concerned, you're doing other employees a favor too - if you have long hair, then they may feel less inclined to conform to this stupid and useless "norm" of shorter hair.
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 8:38am
Duke, we are a govt. defense contractor employing scientists, engineers and support staff. I type and format presentations; also use corel draw and some clipart to illustrate these presentations.

Twanda
rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 10:20am
I currently work on a government contract. The contract is made up primarily of subcontractors. The people who work for the "prime" company have to dress up, except on Friday. The rest of us "peons" get to wear jeans except when there's something special going on.

I know what you mean Twanda about some people looking good in jeans and others not looking employed. I think I do a fairly good job of looking neat.... nice jeans, button up shirts.... but a woman I know who makes a lot of $$ (she and her fiance together make in the 6 digits) but people who don't know her think she's on welfare. That just totally amazes me.... or I should say baffles me.

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 12:13pm
Duke, I socialize with my boss outside of the office. I asked her honest opinion of my hair and she gave it, on our own time. Don't worry, I intend to stay long for a long while!
Tinkerbelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 4:24pm

I work as a therapist in an elemantary school.  I work independantly and really have no boss.  I usually just wear dress slacks and a blazer, or a cute shirt.  I will on occasion wear a skirt...as long as it goes to my knees...and usually pair it with knee high boots. 

On Fridays, we can wear jeans if we donate a dollar to charity.

If I am going to a buisness meeting, or meeting with parents, or other therapists, I usually dress up something a bit more professional.

Tinkerbelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 4:25pm

As for my hair.  I usually will wear it how it is in the picture of me, or else I will put it all up in a ponytail

mdjgirl7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjgirl7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 10:15pm
I own a beauty salon and we do have a dress code not a strict one but we do have one. One bad apple can spoil it for everyone. You would think grown people would know when you deal with the public you need to look professional not like you just crawled out of bed or worse. As for hair we are ok with almost anything as long as it is clean lol.
MaryPoppins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaryPoppins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2007 at 1:52pm
I work for a marketing company where the majority of my coworkers are relatively young and trendy.  We do not have a very strict dress code - we can wear jeans each day if we would like.  Of course it is a professional setting so there are no scandalous shirts and no strapless or halter sundresses (unless a sweater or jacket is worn over top).  It's fun to be able to dress in my own style to go to work! 
digitaldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitaldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 1:20pm
The corporate world is a game. Either you learn how to play it or get played. You don't see Donald Trump with long hair and tattoos. Because these smart people know that their image is everything. For the people that refuse to dress professional for work, I suggest you buy a book on corporate politics, be happy with only making 60k a year, or go to a very creative environment. You aren't going to find very many people in corp America that make 6 figures and dress unprofessionally. You may be thinking well I'll own my own business. Most people that own their own business don't dress unprofessional either. They have to make money from someone and they have to gain respect. I could go on and on about this topic. Also, take some professional speaking courses if your grammar isn't top notch or pretty good.
AS OF 5/25/2007
4A
10 1/2' in the top
10 on the sides
3 1/2 in the back

GOAL
BSL
jakeliu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakeliu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 12:27am
I type and format presentations; also use corel draw and some clipart to illustrate these presentations.

shinning_likeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinning_likeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2014 at 3:35pm
well as far as dress code is concerned looking perfectl proffessional is the call of any business game so its best to look good in not very but light formal clothes , neat and well dressed
HeadBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeadBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2019 at 7:33pm
Our dress code is very relaxed; jeans are allowed as long as you are not customer-facing. On days you will meet with the general public, business dress is requireed. That means ties for men, women's tops/dresses have to have sleave, and nothing above the knee when it comes to dresses or skirts.

Hair has to be neat and tasteful, and tattoos that are visible cannot have profanity. It is a credit union, so I understand the need for professionalism when meeting people about their money. 
Peace to all
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic