Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where do I start!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Courtney23206 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courtney23206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where do I start!
    Posted: March 04 2004 at 7:16pm
heyY!.. well.. all i need really is a very cute HAirstyLe For Prom this is my first prom to go to cuz i am a sophie.. but I have a dreSs Already and I kNow what to do!.. Juss helP Me with a hairSTylE Please!
thanks !!
Ttyl*!
XoXo- CouRtneY!
ggflower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2004 at 7:45pm
I know it can be hard trying to figure out where to start. I believe you should start by creating the hairstyle that is most suited for your face type and your personality@ like if you are an athletic girl you won''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''t likely feel comfortable in a very fancy hairstyle, but you still want to look smashing!!! I have written several article about that and you can see them at my website which is ALL about PROMs and how to plan and get ready for it!!! It helps you decide what dress to wear, what hairdo is best on you and what colors look best...
Check it out and if you have more questions you can write another post and I will chek back!@!
Good luck
GG Flower
creator of
http://www.shop4prom.com
prom, a night like no other
you, like no one else~!
pixie lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixie lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2004 at 10:18pm
Great Enfys!
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 3:22pm
Thanks Karen, there were some really pretty styles and great new ideas on there. I'm going to start experimenting soon.

There has been a fab new development in the prom saga - I'm going to be head of designing, and making the invitations, posters and decorations etc.

Yay!!!! I'll really get to make the rules now!

I'll keep you posted!
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2003 at 6:31am
Hi all,

You might want to check out the HairBoutique.com Prom articles. I post a ton every year including a bunch of new stuff for 2004.

Check out Prom Hair New Articles for 2004 at:
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/promhairnewarticles.htm

Best wishes & Happy New Year,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
anyone_but_you View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anyone_but_you Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2003 at 5:15pm
lol not all americans sleep with their date. im not sleeping with my date because we are just friends. our traditions are just going to a dance and having fun. btw im from the U.S. anyways. good luck with prom. hope you have fun. Im a junior but i was asked by a senior to go so our proms are in may. peace.
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2003 at 9:37am
15 or 16. I'll still be 15. And not legal. How old are people attending their leaving prom in the US? Are they 18?
cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 8:04pm
Sounds like the fastest way to make your school teachers rethink hosting a ball every year... Out of interest, how old is everyone going to the dance anyway?

Cait x
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 2:30pm
I was kinda dubious myself. I know some people who're sleeping with their date. Not good.

It's not the best wat to end the night, by feeling pressured like that to be American. I'm not having a go at Americans, it's just that the traditions have carried over from there.
cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2003 at 9:20pm
Sleeping with your date? C'mon, we're British, girl! We don't do that type of thing! ;)

Seriously though, I want to underline that sleeping with someone because you went to a prom with him is the stupidest reason for sex ever. Especially if you had no prior relationship. Any guy who suggests that is trying it on and deserves to be attacked by a giant harpy. Never let any guy pressurise you into doing something you don't want to - always remember that you're worth more than that.

Cait x
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2003 at 5:38pm
Diolch yn fawr iawn, tina!

(thank you very much)

I'll need it! Still, some (male) people I prefect with at breaktime are very friendly, so I could go with a friend rather than a boyfriend.

Do you really have to sleep with your date? That's like the head being flushed down the toilet thing, right?!
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2003 at 10:29pm
Good luck young Welsh lady!!!
tina
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2003 at 5:31pm
Thanks for your help all of you!

I'd never really thought of going alone. Could work. Maybe I could find some impressionable young man who I could go to the cinema with to the Matrix. He will be forever at my beckon call or whatever the phrase is. Guys like that, right? I know I like the Matrix, anyway. Mmmm, Neo.
cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2003 at 2:02pm
At my school we had two proms - the big one was in our final year, but we also had another one the year before that. For the first prom, I was all set to go with this guy in my year, but he fell ill a week before the prom. Nightmare. After a lot of "should I? shouldn't I?" I decided to go stag. I went to the prom myself and actually had a great time. For the big prom in our final year, I got asked by a few guys and believe me, I was hardly the most popular girl in school. In the end, I went with a male friend and had a great night. In fact, it was only the disgustingly loved up couples who had been going out for months previously who went to the prom on a "date". Most people did the same thing I did - take a friend of a different gender. Several girls even went with each other for a laugh and no, they weren't gay. Trying to find an actual "date" can put way too much pressure on you and you don't have to do that.

I personally would love to have a male gay best friend and have a Will and Grace type thing going on :D But hey, if going to the prom with a gay guy would make you feel uncomfortable for whatever reason, then don't do it. Like I said in my last post, proms are supposed to be fun! Do the selfish thing and make the night all you, you, you. Dress up, feel pretty, take who you you like - it's great:D

Group dynamics change so much in secondary school and you will probably find yourself drifting closer to and further away from different people over the course of a school year. You have heaps of time before your prom, so you're right, you probably will have a few different mates - hopefully people with whom you feel more comfortable with and think with whom you fit in better.

I don't even know if any of this is helpful. Basically what I'm trying to say, is that there are other people who feel the same as you do, and there are probably several of them at your school. You just have to find them.

Cait x
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2003 at 7:53pm
Most of them are gay?, oh come on, what are the odds of that, of having so many gay boys in one area. I don't believe it.
Give some of these boys a chance, some of them might be nice to you and you might have a good time with one of them!
tina
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2003 at 1:26pm
Thanks Cait, it's nice to know that I won't be the first person to wear a long dress. The reason I want to ignore the prom is that I'm that I don't really fit in with my friends (it's a sad story, I know) so I don't want to be the odd one out. Also, there is no hope of date for me. There is not one boy, out of the 173 in my year, that I can stand for long enough to share a prom with! Also, most of them are gay, and I'm not exagerating. I'm not being homophobic, but I would not spend that time with a boy who was eyeing up his mates. Still, maybe I'llhave some different friends by then. You're right, I'll try not to worry about it.
cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2003 at 6:53pm
At our winter prom, one of my friends bought a gorgeous black velvet dress from Laura Ashley that was fairly long with long sleeves as well and a beautiful scoop neckline. It covered up all the things you mentioned you wanted to hide - arms, legs and back - but it looked stunning in a classic way.

Although the velvet wasn't that thick, it is definitely not the fabric of choice for a summer prom. However, you happen to have a very talented auntie who can create a dress in a similiar design for you, but in a much lighter fabric. Problem solved!

When it comes to prom dress styles, you need to pick a dress that flatters you. Your friends might suit short skirts and look pretty, but a long A-line flowing skirt might look equally gorgeous on you. Pick a style you feel comfortable in and you think accentuates your best features. Wearing what you think is the perfect dress will boost your confidence and help you have a great night.

I'm not sure why you want to ignore the prom - are you nervous about finding a date? Proms are great fun and listening to your friends will actually help you de-stress rather than make you all panicky. Sometimes the build up is the best part - discussing with friends what clothes/accessories one of you should wear, what another should buy, etc.

Having a prom at your school is a new thing, so your year can make up the rules! How formal do you all want it to be? Smart casual,****tail dresses, fairytale ballgowns... Whatever you like. Get everyone talking. You must all be excited and you have heaps of time to negociate amongst yourselves what you want to do.

Remember, you can make this as big or as small a thing you like. Go to the prom with all your girly mates or bite the bullet and ask a guy to go with you (or wait for one to ask you). Get your mum to give you a lift or club together and hire a limo! Wear your hair down or put it up in an elaborate style. Why not invite a bunch of your friends around and play with each other's hair until you find some great updos that suit you all? Alternatively you could make an appointment at your local hair salon nearer the time and have your hair done professionally.

There are tons of issues involved with proms, but remember that it's all supposed to be fun. If you feel as if you have to bury your head in the sand and ignore what's going on, then it's not fun for you. Do what you're comfortable doing. You don't need to wear a short dress that shows everything - in fact, that would probably suit very few people. Ultimately it doesn't matter whether you spend £20 on a dress from New Look or £150 on a dress from Monsoon - it's having so many friends in one place at one time that really makes the evening special.

I hope some of this helps you!
Cait x
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 5:14pm
Erm. I need to know everything. I don't know anybody who went to one because it's too new to the school. I don't know the basic kinds of things like what kinds of dress to wear because I literally own one skirt, and it's a combat one. I know that you need to wear a dress, obviously, but I'm not sure what styles etc. are the traditional ones (IF there are traditional ones). I also don't like revealing clothes. Most of my peers love little dresses and short skirts, but I can't stand them, or backless/sleeveless dresses. I will be June, though, so I don't want to fry. It'd be great if anyone could suggest a way around this, I'm open to all ideas.

I think the dress is my biggest worry, but my auntie is a very VERY good dress maker, so I'm sure she would help me make one. If anyone has any ideas or even designs, I'd love for you to help me. Thanks.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 2:09pm
Oh sweetie, don't worry about prom! If it's anything like the U.S. kind, it's an evening of fun, friends and gorgeous outfits. I went to prom all four years in high school and loved the experience. I don't know about an online guide, per say, but perhaps your friends at HB could help with your specific questions. What exactly do you need to know?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 1:43am
I wish I could help you but I dropped out of high school early and didn't go to proms.

I have a five year old daughter, maybe she will go to a prom when she is older.
tina
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic