Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Straightening with a clothing iron?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stinka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stinka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straightening with a clothing iron?
    Posted: March 06 2003 at 6:36pm
How do you do this? It looks so awsome on anyone who tries it.

Someone told me that I need to put a towel ontop of my hair, and then get someone else to iron it for me.

It didn't work at all.

Im wondering if you need to apply the iron directly to your hair. But isn't that totally useless. Wouldn't your hair get destroyed in a sec?

I need suggestions.
"And to make a long story short, I was wearing an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time..."
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2003 at 9:34pm
HI,

Using a clothes iron on your hair was made popular back in the 60's but I've never heard of any one doing it now. With the help of products and the latest technology its not really necessary to straightn your hair in this manner.

I would suggest you buy a ceramic flatning iron for your hair not clothes. When using flat irons it is always important to use a barrier product on the hair to reduce damage.

Some of these products would be Redken spray starch, Sexy hair concepts-Soya want flat hair, Paul Mitchell heat seal.

Good Luck!!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
versatylestyle View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote versatylestyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2003 at 7:38pm
hey, last year i straitened my hair just about everyday with a clothing iron... even though i do not recommend doing this i'll tell you how because i was hopeless with dry frizzy thick hair and it does make it look perfectly straight and sleek.

First make sure your hair is dry so you don't burn it, put the iron a a medium setting and put a towel on the floor. make sure your hair is brushed and lie down on one side and brush your hair on the floor, ever storke you brush run over with the iron, about two strokes and its straight. keep flipping from left side to back to right side to stomache.

REASONS NOT TO:
it does take a while, and your arms hurt a lot reaching in akward positions, which also is dangerous (i've got two burn marks on my arm) yes you do directly apply the iron to your hair, and it doesn't fry it but after a while it does get a lot of split ends so regular trims is necessary. make sure you condition and don't leave the iron in one place for a long time, also make if you put a heat treatment product in prior to ironing it helps with the damage.
i asked my hairdresser and she said that if i really wanted to do it make sure one day when you know you have the whole day or aren't doing anything the next night, put a lot of conditioner in your hair, wrap your hair with plastic wrap and sleep with the conditioner in, wash it out the next day, this helps a lot!

i stopped ironing my hair because i got a really good hot tools straightner, if your going to use a straightner i suggest putting each finger on your eyebrows and drawing a line to the back of your head where fingers meet bring the top half into a bun on the top of your head straighten the rest and keep doing this about 3 or 4 times getting higher as you go depending on how thick your hair is , when your done your hair will be straight, this just makes sure you don't miss any curls.. i hope i helped, i havne't found any way to straighten my hair without appliances so if anyone knows of a better way for pin straight hair please help!
MissSagittarius View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissSagittarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 12:50am
Me & my sister used to iron our hair when we were in middle school. I tell you it looked and seemed t work really well for a week and then after that our hair was literally fried. Becareful! Try ANYTHING different first!
Nidia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nidia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 6:14pm
Hi..my hair is thick..& i wanted to get it thinned out @ the hair place......but i found out that it only lasts a few dayz so i wanted to see how it would turn out if i straightened it with the clothes iron..I read the reply up there sum where of how to do it...but im afraid that it will like burn my head or sumthing..lol...so if ya have any tips then u can email me at lil_mexican236@hotmail.com Ok? i have msn messenger & the microphone so that would make it alot easier u know?..im gonna wait 4 you guyz to answer me until i can straighten it with the iron..ok?.. thanx laterz!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic