Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GHD Hair Straighteners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cat5187 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat5187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GHD Hair Straighteners
    Posted: May 11 2003 at 1:47pm
I can't believe nobody's mentioned GHD ceramic hair straighteners... I can honestly say they are the most amazing straighteners I have ever come across. Words cannot describe how wonderful these are... http://www.ciao.co.uk/GHD_Professional_Ceramic_Straighteners__Review_5317114 has a good review.
The only drawback is the price but it's worth every cent, in my opinion.
Cathy
cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 3:28pm
One of my friends owns a pair of these and all I can say is, I'm so jealous! When she first bought them, her hair went from average to stunning overnight. Would love to own GHD straighteners myself.

~ Cait x
StA Hair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StA Hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 9:11am
We got a pair of these for my partner a couple of months ago from a salon in West Lothian, Scotland (excellent quick service, but just can't remember their name). I have to say that they are the best product for starightening by FAR - it used to take her several hours to properly straighten her bra-strap length hair, now in 5 minutes it can be poker straight and looks stunning.

The key I believe (correct me if I'm incorrect) is the heat of the iron. Normal irons cannot reach nearly the same type of heat as ceramic plates, which can tolerate far higher temperatures. It is this high temperature which porduces much better results and will last much better by straightening porperly by first or second pass, as opposed to a normal iron that you pull down the hair slowly, with a long time in contact, when serious heat damage can be caused.

I know the GHD ones are expensive, but watch out for some brands that claim to have 'ceramic coated' elements - these are better for your hair than standard straighteners, but they still cannot reach the temperature a true ceramic element can.

Slightly off topic - does anyone know a trick to reduce the amount of static that builds up when we straighten her hair, and can you get such a thing as a ceramic curling tong?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 6:33pm
Hi,

I had a visit from my Conair rep yesterday and she demonstrated their new ceramic irons. They are designed to compete with GHD and Chi and the other similar brands. The diff? They are made by the same factory but the costs will be dramatically different. My rep told me that I better order well because one they are available to the general public it will be impossible to get them quickly.

I believe that they have a ceramic curling iron as well and I know that there was talk of ceramic curlers. They are going completely ionic and ceramic.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
astrogoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astrogoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2003 at 2:22pm
I just bought (online) a Hot Tools flat iron because thats the one my friend used when she showed me how to straighten my hair. She got hers through her stylist but I found it easier to buy online since they aren't available in stores. I think mine was marked WAY down at only $25 plus shipping. I know my friend paid around $50 for it when she ordered it through her stylist.

And all I know is I've heard PLENTY of horror stories about the Conair flat irons.
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2003 at 2:59pm
what horror stories?
astrogoddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astrogoddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 12:53am
Some of my friends have used the conair flat irons and its nearly ripped out their hair. I'm not sure if its the plates that aren't good quality but I think it was the little 'comb' that is supposed to i guess neaten the hair, but rather the iron will get caught and stuck in the hair, which of course is NOT GOOD when it comes to any kind of heatstyling appliance.

If you want a good flat iron, ask your stylist because you'll get the best results from a professional brand rather than a cheap drugstore brand.

In this case, all I can say is 'you get what you pay for.' It's a better idea to shell out some more money for a professional flat iron than have scorced and ripped hair.

As I said in my previous post, look around the internet for the brand and model a stylist has told you to try before ordering the flat iron (or any other hair styling appliance for that matter) through the salon. I paid half of what my friend paid for hers and its the exact same model.

NOTE ABOUT GHD: I looked on ebay for GHD straighteners and nothing turned up at all!
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 11:11am
i have use both hot tools and conair. infact i just tried conair new conair ceramic. it worked awesome. i have bangs that i like pin straight. there new one is very thin so it's great for bangs. yes the conair came with teeth i just take them off. don't always buy into ''you get what you pay for'' yes it may apply to somethings. it's a competitive maket. why would conair keep putting out not good flat irons? there are 20 bucks not like there 5 dollars you said you paid 25 for the hot tools. that's only 5 dollars more. at the time i paid 40 for my hot tools. it was the first flat iron at the time you could buy in the store. infact i was worried i heard it could burn your hair. my beautican used the hot tools at first and said it was not true.
now the ceramic are the better ones.
just something to think about
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 2:08am
After reading those reviews, this iron sounds amazing. I have a vidal sassoon metal iron that works moderately well, but lately I've been noticing a lot of damaged split ends. Do you think this would actually be much healthier for my hair than the cheaper metal kind? I'd spend the money if it was really worth it, because my hair means a lot to me.

Also while I'm at it, is there a product I can put in my hair after washing that would protect my hair from heat styling? I don't blow dry at all, but I want something to protect my hair from the flat iron. Thanks!
razziberri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razziberri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 8:54pm
I was plan on getting a CHI next tuesday. Trading Secrets have them and there's a 20% discount every Tuesday. But after hearing that there is cheaper ceramic irons out there, I'm not sure. Any suggustions?
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2003 at 3:05am
I decided to get the GHD straightener after I get my new credit card in a couple weeks. I'll tell everyone how it works out when I finally am able to get it. I'm pretty excited to try this so hopefully I don't get too impatient!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic