Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

aSK mIZZ p FOR PROBS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 12:24am
Did Mizz p vanish? I thought she had the answers and now she don't have nothing to say? interesting...
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 8:40pm
can i add honey to my conditioner?
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 7:40pm
The last hairstylist I went to gave me this hair stuff to put on so it isn't dry. I read the ingredients when i got home and it's petrolatum also. So I haven't been using it because i don't use vaseline on my hair but it was sitting on my dresser and my 2-year-old niece who loves shea butter thought it was shea butter and put it all over her hands and the floor. It took forever to wash it off her hands and I've washed the floor and it's still kind of dull looking. I was thinking I should just use a clarifying shampoo on the floor.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 10:47am
The trick with coconut oil is to use it in moderation. Don't glob it on or it'll be hell to wash out. ... The appropriate amount for a person depends on three things, maybe more that I've missed:
(1) hair thickness (how many hairs per square inch)
(2) length.. obviously the longer hair, the more hair volume, the more absorption
(3) % volume that your hair can absorb water or oil. .. "porosity" or absorption rate. Some hair absorbs more water or oil than others. Coarse hair, especially, absorbs lots. It takes less to oil finer hair.

And the right amount can be found with experimentation. I use less than a teaspoon and I my hair is slightly shorter than waist length. Sometimes less than a teaspoon.. I use less oil if I'm planning to condition with two separate products after washing (CWCC). Maybe two grams. (two cc's/cubic centimeters is a pretty close approximation)

If you do a first trial amount of... say, 2 cc's... and it's still too greasy after a wash and condition, then shampoo it out and try again with less oil. It takes a couple tries to find a happy amount.

Good luck
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 1:14am
I hope to get coconut oil at walmart....the one you said somone on here uses (wrote the name down somehwere). I got this new neutrogena triple moisture deep recovery hair mask today and tried it. Oh God...k...i was meant to leave it for 3-5 mins but i left it on for like 30 mins. When i washed it out, my hair felt so hard and thick and it felt sort of dry. So to get out what the stuff had doen to my hair, i used suave daily clarifying and i dont know what happened but t took me 15 minutes to rinse out the foam or whatever and my hair was a mess. I finally rinsed it all out then shampooed it with the NTm shampoo before fianlly using dove conditioner. This was the same thing that happened when i used the leave in foam so i guess that line is not for me. I use the shampoo though. I also got surge hair revitalizer plus 14 and it worked wonders. It worked as a detangler and my hair isnt thick and dries in like 30 minutes but this time, it was dry by maybe 10. Air dry I mean. Anyway, that was what i went through tonight and i just needed to vent i guess. Coconut oil...here i come!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 7:56pm
I wouldn't give up on oiling. It's the Vaseline that you don't do well with, and NOBODY does well with vaseline in their hair. That gunk doesn't come out.

I'd encourage you to try again with REAL 100% coconut oil. Don't give up on it because of one vaseline product. Again, shampoo really well.
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 6:10pm
"blue magic" is the name of the coconut oil that i bought...yeahh i used suave's daily clarifying shampoo and surprisingly it got most of it out, theres still some residue but not nearly as bad as it was before...wow no more coconute oil for me, anyone know of a good deep conditioner that you can buy in stores, like a brand or somethin??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 10:41am
Hi Renee

Honey on both the scalp and the length would be good as a prewash. You said you have fine hair, right? Olive oil can be a little heavy. I'd go with sweet almond or macadamia nut oil--they're just lighter oils in general. And I know honey sounds very sticky, but it washes out well if you make sure to rinse at least a couple times. Honey is a humectant (moisture attractor) so often it does wonders for people's dry scalp.

The other thing about having a dry scalp is... to use a gentle shampoo. That means no Pert Plus, no Prell, no Head and Shoulders. ... Read your ingredient bottles and donate anything that has the word "ammonium" or "lauryl" in the second ingredient.

Hope this helps :)
Anais
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 1:04am
And oh, ill get the coconut oil on wednesday. I also heard that like a teaspoon of honey mixed with 2 teaspoons of olive oil when heated and added to hair is good since honey makes hair shine or sth. Thanks for answering all my questions. Yes, i still have more coming :D
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 12:58am
Blue magic is like older than me. lol. Hey anaissatin, i have dry scalp, what can i put on it? And please what do you know about redken products? especially all soft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2004 at 1:08pm
I've never heard of Blue Magic...

Have you tried Pert Plus? It's supposed to be a good gunk remover. I clean the bathroom with it sometimes.

(((hugs)))
Anais
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2004 at 10:56am
yeahh the bottle says its for hair and the brand is called "blue magic" i tried using a clarifying treatment but its still not coming out...does anyone know a really deep clarifying treatment

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2004 at 10:27am
Some other thoughts--

If the stuff you bought contains petroleum, then it makes me suspicious that it's for skin and not hair or otherwise badly formulated.

Coconut oil, the pure 100% kind, comes out even with a mild shampoo like Paul Mitchell. I'm not sure know how to get Vaseline out of hair because it's not something I've done before. You'll probably have to use something along the lines of Neutrogena or Pert Plus (just this once though because they can be harsh)

RENEE:
If you have fine hair, you can also try jojoba or sweet almond oil. Coconut works for most hair types but some hair just doesn't like it. Give coconut a try first-- it's cheap and easy to measure solid. Liquid oils like jojoba sometimes make hair feel "crunchy", but that goes away if you're using it as a prewash.
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2004 at 4:10pm
OH CRAP!! Petrolatum is VASELINE!!!!! I'm soooo sorry, sweetie... All oils I use and recommend are 100% pure with no additives.

I have no idea how to help besides to tell you USE A CLARIFIER and a vinegar rinse and see if that helps. Vaseline doesn't come out very easily.

For everybody out there who is looking to oil their hair, READ THOSE INGREDIENTS CAREFULLY. COCONUT OIL SHOULD NOT HAVE ANYTHING BESIDES "COCONUT OIL" or "OIL OF COCONUT". THIS GOES FOR ALL OILS

((((HUGS))))
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2004 at 1:08pm
ahhhh OMG i used the coconut oil to condition my hair last nite and then i tried to wash it out but its not all coming out and ive tried shampooing it many times, its just still straight up greasy...HELP...how do i get it out, did i do something wrong...PLEASE i NEED it out NOW!!! i bought the kind of coconut oil that says its for your hair and the ingredients in the tub are : petrolatum, coconut oil, fragrance. ahhhhhhh someone please help
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2004 at 8:49am
Is it advisable to use coconut oil on fine hair? If not, what oil could I use instead?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 8:45pm
I guess it depends on the product. Jojoba online is really cheap, even with shipping, compared to jojoba in stores. Coconut may be different because it's also cheap in stores.

I oil my scalp only when I plan to shampoo it out momentarily. Oil should NOT be left on the scalp for days and days as a leave in because it messes up the scalp acidity

HTH
Anais
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 5:03pm
And oh I read your input in tthe thread "oiling scalp" or something like that. So what does one put on teh scalp, maybe when its dry or something?
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 4:25pm
is it the one thats 1.86 for 8 oz. If thats it, its really cheap!!!! but teh shipping is way expensive...btu anyway, its cheap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 10:46am
I don't buy mine at Walmart... coconut oil-76 (it's called coconut oil 76 because it melts at 76*F. The other one is coconut oil-92, but that one's too hard at room temp) My coconut oil is pressed especially for skin and hair, and the brand is called Spectrum Essentials. (not sold at Walmart) It's soft and spreadable, softer than butter. Maybe like room temp butter. It melts in your hands and your hair.

You could find it online too, at Cedarvale.net or Mystifyyoursenses.com

EKatherine buys a brand called LouAna from Walmart that doesn't have a coconutty scent, and it's in the vegetable oil section.

Hugs,
Anais
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic