Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

aSK mIZZ p FOR PROBS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 5:40pm
I agree with her, but I have tried this also tried this deep conditioning treatment.

1 tsp of oil (jojoba/shea butter)
1 package or 1 tsp of honey ( I usually use the honey packages)

microwave until melted, let it cool till its luke warm!
Add your conditioner, about 2 tsp of it
Mix it all together
place it on your hair, cover with a plastic cap and towel.
Leave it in for 30 minutes.

First rinse it out, you can use shampoo after the rinse try to dilute the shampoo with water or a gentle shampoo. Your hair will keep moisture in it if it is the gentler shampoo.

Renee I put honey in my Conditioners, when i poured it in my hand and it worked fine.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 5:43pm
Renee the recipe above works for dry scalp as well.

But before I put that in my hair I put oil, not grease, oil onto my fingertips/hands and go thru my scalp with a massaging moition to get the oil in there. I do that once a week. Then i I put the hair mask/ deep conditioner treatment on my hair. That way your scalp is being treated and your hair.

Honey can give your hair shine and attracts moisture to the hair shaft but i'm not too sure you want to put it directly on your scalp.

Sorry Annai for taking over your board.

O yeah don't use blue magic, or any hair grease. That stuff clogs up your scalp and removes moisture from your hair and scalp. I recommend you go to the site called www.longhaircareforum.com where they have challenges for hair growth, bun challeges, protective styles challenges and great info for those who are having problems with their eeryone is allowed no matter the hair texture or chemically treated.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 5:50pm
@ Annaisatin

I just wanted to inform you that many products in the so called "ethnic" isle...where I do not shop even tho I am african American, have products basically full of puetrolium sorry i can't spell today. Many people of all raises have been misinformed and feel that it should be put our products. I believe they do that to make our hair SHINE, our natural hair is coiled/curl therefore we have sheen opposed to shine and so puetrolium adds a shine that many people want. Not saying all blacks but the products that are said to be designed for us are full of it. I just used products made for hair I don't care for the black or white label, hair is hair to me.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 7:54pm
Oh i go to longhaircareforum.com like eevryday. Though one has to pay 5 bucks to subscribe or sth so i cant post messages. I just read what they have there and its been very helpful. I tried the olive oil and honey stuff but i didnt mix it with my conditioner and the honey was breaking my hair (thats how fine and fragile each strand is ). Next time, ill mix with with conditioner. I dont style my hair everyday. Its always in cornrows so i guess thats ok
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 8:10pm
Yeah I just read the posts too.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 9:15pm
Thanks cmsweet

Likewise, Mineral oil is a petroleum derivative and is also an occlusive material... Lanolin, petroleum, and mineral oil are ingredients that are inappropriate for hair and skin-- but manufacturers add them anyway as thickeners, and some add mineral oil while claiming it is non-comedogenic. I agree with cmsweet-- the marketing ploy is crap.

... and this is mainly because wonderful stuff like Shea butter, Kokum butter, etc... are so damn expensive for mass production.

Anais
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 10:41pm
Thanks.
I can't spell today
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 12:08am
k...hair disaster. i was trying the olive oil in conditioner, honey in shampoo when while using the conditioner when my hair became a tangled,hard,brittle, mess. i rinsed out the conditioner then used dove conditoner and it was okay again and went on to put on my detangler when it suddenly started getting hard again. so i used suave clarifying shampoo to wash out whatever the stuff had done to my hair then used tresemme cond. This is redken all soft for dry brittle hair anyway. my hair is already soft but not dry and brittle. i don't know why i bought it.....i will return another product to them for the 2nd time and 3 days in a row. oh btw, the stuff is not all gone. i guess i used the suave mainly on the right side so the left side is as hard as....and ive poured some oil to soften it...too tired to wash anything out again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 10:32am
Renee

Try one thing at a time... that way you can rule out what things DON'T work for you. Sometimes oils and other natural substances can react with the chemicals in hair products as well.

If the shampoo or conditioner contains proteins, then it can react with oils to make a brittle byproduct.

It also depends on how much oil or honey you are adding. Do keep in mind that fine hair takes less gunk. And it could also depend on how well you rinse, or the mildness of the product or lack thereof.

Just some things for you to keep in mind.
I'm sorry to hear about your disaster.

Anais
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 11:46am
You put honey in your shampoo? Umm that could be the problem.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 12:18pm
Just thought I'd add...

Honey works best when used as a rinse or used with egg or olive oil, not mixed in commercial products. Store-bought commercial products aren't designed to work with natural and additional ingredients.

Honey already in storebought shampoo is normally done in very small amounts (Manufacturers adjust the ingredient formulation to make up for honey's effects on lather, cleansing ability, etc.. although the amount they add is so small that it doesn't make much difference. Honey is usually added at 3% or less of the total product volume).

Honey added by the buyer, at home, might mess up the formulation of the shampoo. Manufacturers don't plan for this.

Try honey and coconut oil as a prewash instead (rinse out before you shampoo. Of course, the coconut oil won't rinse out until you shampoo, but the honey will). Or mix honey with your dose of conditioner.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 3:29pm
I agree, as you can see in my recipe the honey and oil was mixed in the CONDITIONER not the shampoo.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 12:34am
I think ill just forgo using honey on my hair because i remember when i mixed it with olive oil to try to deep condition, my hair started breaking as i ran the honey through my hair. I exchanged the conditioner for nexxus humectress because im already using nexxus therrape shampoo and i tried a strand test so i wouldnt have another hair disaster. It could also be used as a leave in.
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 12:37am
I think ill just forgo using honey on my hair because i remember when i mixed it with olive oil to try to deep condition, my hair started breaking as i ran the honey through my hair. I exchanged the conditioner for nexxus humectress because im already using nexxus therrape shampoo and i tried a strand test so i wouldnt have another hair disaster. It could also be used as a leave in.
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 12:39am
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 12:46am
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 10:39am
I just got those nexxus products, therappe and humectress. I've only washed my hair once with it. I don't like the smell of the conditioner but my hair was soft.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 11:20am
i didnt like the smell of the shampoo but i liked the smell of teh condtioner....i just tried it on a section of my hair and it was soft. ill probably use it on all my hair on wednesday. Hey anais i tried the CWC. I used dove conditoner first, then shampoo then nioxin conditioner and my hair was really soft. now im going to the store to get coconut oil. yay!!!!!1
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 10:46am
I finally got the louana coconut oil from walmart. I put one teaspoon in the microwave, put it on my hair especially the ends. I left it on for 45 minutes because i couldnt wait to see if i would be able to get the oil out. haha. Anyway when it was time to wash it, i had my suave clarifying shampoo ready in case it was a disaster but it wasnt!!. I left the shampoo on for 3 mins and the condtioner on for like 30 mins. I couldnt stay up to wait for it to get dry so i put on a scarf (not cotton) to retain the mointure before i went to sleep. My hair wasnt as tangled as it used to be and i just brushed it now. What is the use of this oil on the hair anyway....as in can it be used as a deep conditioner? And oh...i dont want to brush my hair everyday so can i make it in cornrows everyother day? cos i wash my hair once a week

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 7:54pm
Hi Renee

Great to see you've had positive results with both CWC and oil.. It takes a bit of experimentation to find the right routine, and you've found positive results faster than most people. Oil is moisturizing for hair because it works the same way as scalp oils (sebum oil)...basically prevents moisture loss (because hair already has some moisture, just by itself)

Hugs,
Anais
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic