Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

aSK mIZZ p FOR PROBS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2004 at 6:51pm
Wow, your hair sounds pretty! "Super long"? How long would that be? Tailbone? Classic? Knees? OOOOoOoOoooh it interests me when someone has extra long hair goals. My goal is classic length or about mid thigh.
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 12:47pm
well i dunno super long for me is a little bit below mid back...soo about to your bell button yeahh thats ounds rite...yeahh but i cant stop the urge to straighten it or blow drying it but i locked up my blow dryer and straightener soo everyday all im doin is puttin my hair up in a bun...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 2:34pm
Waist length looks gorgeous on anybody! Glad you're shooting for that range. Best of luck and happy growing!
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 3:29pm
thX...yeahh anyways FINALLY i found some coconut oil at a local foods store, but it was sold in jars as "refined and unrefined" which would be the best kind to use for hair?? and also i heard the lady say that it was for cooking but does it matter that im using it for hair?? and how would you reccomend using coconut oil on your hair...k thX again!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 4:16pm
Sometimes it matters... cooking type oils sometimes are pressed/extracted differently, and will have a higher acid content. Although I don't see why that's bad. I put vinegar on my hair all the time and that's acidic too!
The same deep oiling instructions on page 1 of this thread will apply for coconut oil.. you can use it for deep oiling or for leave-ins though.

Anais
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 11:02pm
do u know if i can leave the coconut oil on overnight, and how often should i condition w/ coconut oil, also normally how long should i leave it in for and would you reccomend applying it to wet or dry hair?? thX
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 8:12am
Originally posted by banks0022 banks0022 wrote:

umm i have pretty fine hair BUT i have LOTSSSS of it...im tryin to grow my hair out super long

Me too!

My hair used to be "stuck" above the waist, breaking off there. Since I straightened out my hair care, it's been growing, and the ends look great. Here's what I do for my hair:

I never wash with shampoo anymore, only conditioner, such as VO5 Hydrators or Free Me Freesia, Suave Daily Clarifying conditioner, or White Rain Extra Body. If you buy these, make sure you get the exact product, as all these brands make lots of different products, some of which aren't good for much of anything. I dilute the conditioner with 1/2 as much water, to help it penetrate better. Then I use it by the handful. All these brands are really cheap, so cost is not an issue. I do a scalp massage while washing, to remove any skin buildup (an issue only if you tend to get dandruff), then I repeat, to do the length once and the scalp twice in all.

Then I apply a moisturizing conditioner, like Elasta QP Intense or Hollywood Beauty Carrot Cholesterol. This would be a conditioner without any silicones (ingredients ending in -cone, read the ingredients list). Finally, I finish off with some Pantene Pro-V, and comb out while I'm rinsing.

Some people complain of damaging buildup from the silicones in Pantene Pro-V. To prevent this, I start my wash by wetting my hair with a mix of 1/2 cup vinegar in warm water at least once a week. I've never had any buildup problem.

I squeeze out my hair, then put it up in a towel. I take it down, comb again, then put it in a dry towel one more time. By the time I take it down, it's more damp than wet. I now put 2 drops of jojoba on my fingertips, and work this into the ends, and also the section on the back of my neck that breaks off short. This seems to prevent that "dry ends" feeling, and makes the hair even sleeker.

Sometimes I also add a couple of drops of jojoba or coconut oil the next day after wash, but if I'm wearing my hair up, I usually forget to do it until it's too late.

I'm hoping my hair will be tailbone length by January.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 1:40pm
Banks002 wrote:
do u know if i can leave the coconut oil on overnight, and how often should i condition w/ coconut oil, also normally how long should i leave it in for and would you reccomend applying it to wet or dry hair?? thX

You probably could leave it on overnight if you wanted to. Many people do this with great results. I personally don't because it requires putting on a cap or something, to not get the oil on my pillowcase. and I can't sleep if I'm wearing something on my head.

I condition with coconut oil once a week, applying it to dry hair. The shortest time I've left the oil in: about 1 hour. Longest: about 4, when I oiled my hair and went out to a restaurant with an oiled bun!

aaaand... HI EKATHERINE!

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 5:38pm
ooo thX for all the advice...if you put the coconut oil on while your hair is dry should your hair be like drenched with the coconut oil or jus a generous amount spreaded out?? i would love to try some jojoba oil but i cant find a place here that sells it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 8:12pm
Your hair should be clumping into sections, but not drenched in oil. Basically it should feel as if you sprayed on oil with a mister. My hair is almost waist length, and it takes about a teaspoon and a half of coconut oil for me. I hope that helps you calculate how much oil you need.
Jojoba is pricey but the cheapest way is to order it online from Cedarvale Natural Health. They sell it in bulk prices (approx $7.00 per 16 oz, which is hella cheap compared to health food stores. Local health food stores sell for an average of $8.00 per 4 oz!) and Cedarvale takes personal checks too : ) yay
my LJ, 40 inches long
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2004 at 7:58pm
ohh yeahh should i just apply coconut oil to just the ends of my hair or the whole thing like towards the scalp and everything?? and also should i put coconut oil in before i shampoo or after i shampoo and then condition with my normal conditioner?? once again thX!
banks0022 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banks0022 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2004 at 7:59pm
oh yeah and can it be left in or would it be too greasy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 4:47pm
(1) Coconut oil should be used BEFORE shampoo in a CWC in my opinion. I wouldn't use coconut oil in a WCC because the coconut oil is too heavy to be removed by the last C.
(2) If you have a greasy scalp, then you won't have to oil the scalp... I like to oil starting a cm away from the scalp and then work it to the ends. The first 1 cm of hair won't be oiled. It's a matter of personal taste I think, so try both and see how your hair and scalp like it.
(3) if you want to do a leave in oiling, you'll only be using 1-2 drops of oil (a little goes a long way)

Good luck
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 1:27am
hi, what can i use for deep conditioning? my hair is fine, soft and relaxed. i used to use the pantene 3 min stuff but i threw it out after i kept on hearing everywhere that it doesnt help. it just makes it look like its working or sth like that. I also heard sometimes its until after you stop using it that u'll notice the damage. Yes, my hair breaks like mad now. So what other product is advisable. how bout the aussie 3 minute miracle? thanks
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 1:43am
i just checked a bottle of herbal essences shampoo and i saw both sodium laureth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate and i think ive been hearing that these are harsh chemicals???? what do you think. i like this thread. haha. loads of questions coming up. lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 11:08am
Hi Renee

I deep condition with oils, going into detail about it in this thread. The Aussie 3MM has been really popular with long hair organic-philes so I assume it's a good bet. Haven't tried it myself though.. : P If your hair likes silicone products like Pantene and L'Oreal, I wouldn't stop using them (instead, clarify regularly to remove silicone buildup).

Sodium Laureth sulfate is the most hair friendly and is often formulated with cocamidopropyl betaine (sp?) or TEA something or other, which are both also gentle. Sodium Lauryl sulfate is the harsh one, and so are any surfactants that begin with "ammonium" such as ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate.

Hope this helps :)

Anais
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 9:41am
Thanks for the advice. About coconut oil, what section in walmart do i get it. Whats the brand of the one you use and like how much does it cost.? Is it in liquid form or solid?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 10:46am
I don't buy mine at Walmart... coconut oil-76 (it's called coconut oil 76 because it melts at 76*F. The other one is coconut oil-92, but that one's too hard at room temp) My coconut oil is pressed especially for skin and hair, and the brand is called Spectrum Essentials. (not sold at Walmart) It's soft and spreadable, softer than butter. Maybe like room temp butter. It melts in your hands and your hair.

You could find it online too, at Cedarvale.net or Mystifyyoursenses.com

EKatherine buys a brand called LouAna from Walmart that doesn't have a coconutty scent, and it's in the vegetable oil section.

Hugs,
Anais
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 4:25pm
is it the one thats 1.86 for 8 oz. If thats it, its really cheap!!!! but teh shipping is way expensive...btu anyway, its cheap
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 5:03pm
And oh I read your input in tthe thread "oiling scalp" or something like that. So what does one put on teh scalp, maybe when its dry or something?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic