Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chemical straightening - for a male

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kevvosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevvosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemical straightening - for a male
    Posted: October 26 2004 at 8:44am
Hi I want to get my hair straight and am having lots of problems with it, cos of it going all poofy etc.
Well I am wondering how chemical straightening works, and is it very expensive? How often do you need it done?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 9:27am
Chemical straightening is when they dunk your hair in lye (sodium hydroxide).. and break down a % of the proteins in your hair, then they go through some other finishing steps.. I don't know, personally, but this is from research.
Don't do it if you can help it, because it's like shaving your legs--because if it works, you'll end up doing it all the time. And if it doesn't work, then your hair will be permanently missing proteins until it grows in healthy.
Chemical straightening is expensive-- runs upwards of $100 ....
my LJ, 40 inches long
PKUK30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PKUK30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2004 at 5:29am
I am a male that has had my hair straighetend and it worked really well, you do need some length of hair to do it or else it does not work properly, so I have been told. There is not reason why men can't have their hair straightening too!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic