Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Men using hair straighteners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Seta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Men using hair straighteners
    Posted: January 13 2005 at 4:18pm
how come I can't get it straight by blow drying like they can in the salon? I wish i could because i hear blow drying is less damaging then flat irons. I use small round brush and try to turn it like they do in teh salon but I never get the same result. its just puffy dry and still wavy after blow drying and i use a conair cermaic ionic one.

I use hot tools flat iron as it was easier to find in supply store then buying online. It is ceramic and supposed to be pretty good. supposedly its the one they used on ryan seacrest.

I find the less product i use the better but is there something good to put in the hair before using the iron to help protect the hair?

how do you get the root? it tends to still have a wave as its hard to reach with iron and only the thinnest ones will get all the way to the root.

putting any wetter product in hair messes it up. I have some recovery complex whatever brand spary for pre heat styling but it has alcohol in it and doesn't seem that great. I mostly use dry serums before and after flat iron but i'm thinking there is better stuff i've seen to seal in moisture and protect from the heat.

anyone get any salon relaxers and is guys medium length hair usually too short for ionic or rebonding expensive permanent straighteners?

also it sucks that even after taking a long time to blow dry and flat iron hair, it will last as long as you dont get it wet and/or sweat. If you seat like going for a run for instance it ruins your hair and you have to start all over. any way to avoid this?
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2005 at 11:16am
You really shouldn't put heat in your hair daily. So it sounds like you should invest in a good ceramic iron that will give you straight hair that will last for a few days while your hair recovers. I recommend a Solia or a Sedu. Look on www.folica.com and read the different reviews for the irons they offer. Whatever you go with, though, make sure it has adjustable heat settings.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
kevvosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevvosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2005 at 8:20am
I'm growing it out. It has about a month worth of growing to do. I don't wash hair daily, usually every other day. Is it safe to use the straighteners daily or can you only use them after washing your hair?
I may consider getting some better quality ones as the ones I have do leave it a bit sticky out at the ends, I'd prefer the hair to be straighter.

Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2005 at 4:20pm
Don't wash your hair daily. The oils that your scalp produce will help with styling.

And as long as you don't need/want stick straight hair, inexpensive ones should work fine. If you start to see damage to your hair though, you might want to consider buying a better quality iron.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2005 at 12:22pm
Is your hair long or are you growing it out? If you are keeping your hair short you can use your straightner more often because you'll end up cutting off the hair that you straighten.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
kevvosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevvosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2005 at 9:09am
I am male, 19, and have a hairstyle that requires straightening of hair. What I want to know is, how often should I be using hair straighteners?
In the morning my hair is such a mess and strands fly everywhere. Can I use straighteners every day? Do I need to wash my hair beforehand or apply straightening gels?

Also what are the best types of straighteners. I have basic ones that didnt cost very much, should I get something different?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic