Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

French Manicure Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CyberChick View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberChick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: French Manicure Tips
    Posted: April 02 2003 at 7:29pm
I love French Manicures but they don't last long. Recently my friend who is a nail tech told me that there are ways to make the French manicures last longer. She read somewhere that you should apply the French manicure white BEFORE you apply the base coat. That would never have occurred to me. Anyone else heard of this trick?
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 8:09pm
I have not heard of that particular trick. At the nail shop I go to, they apply base, then use airbrushing to apply the white tips, then polish over that. They recommend that you apply clear top coat every night to achieve maximum lasting power.

Me, I never had the patience to apply clear every night--even 60-second top coat. And I find the airbrushing gets scratched up, or off by the end of the first week. So I usually don't get french.

I did see one woman get artificial white nail tips put on (and acrylic on top). This type of "french manicure" lasts until the tips + wraps or acrylics (depending on the method) need to be removed--about eight weeks. They just keep filling the bottoms in. That's the longest-lasting french manicure of which I'm aware
[/url]

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 11:05am
If you go the acrylic route, which I have done for the last 20 years, there are several options for french manicures. You can always have them painted or airbrushed on but those tend to chip and wear off. I have also had white tips applied which look great for awhile but when they grow out you have a bad period of time when nothing really works. You can't polish because what remains of the white still shows through.

What works best for me is a "pink and white" which is actually white acrylic applied at the tip of the nail then pinkish/clear acrylic everywhere else. Then a coat of clear polish and you are good to go for several weeks. I have gone as long as five weeks between fills and they still looked good but I don't recommend that. The only downside is the cost. It is $10 more per fill but as I said, you can go longer between fills. and for me, the convenience is worth it. Not all nail techs can do this so you have to find one who does it. They usually redo the white on the tip every time I get a fill but if your nails grow slowly you can alternate a regular (cheaper) fill with the pink and white fill.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Trixie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2003 at 2:11pm
I love the french manicure look. I do a pretty rough number on them myself and yet I can keep the tips white for about 2 1/2 weeks before they start to really chip. I am going to school for Art Restoration and Interior Decorating. We do all kinds of stuff w/ paint and power tools, etc. I wear gloves all the time though! I'm the prissy girl in the class . Then I work part time as a CNA and of course I wear gloves all the time there too. I find that applying a coat of Sally Hansen's Mega Shine does the trick really well. It only takes 60 seconds to dry and really protects your nails well.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 12:53pm
I broke down and had a french manicure last night after being unable to find a color that would satisfy me. It looks gorgeous.

I'm going to apply top coat every other night in an attempt to keep this looking good for two weeks. I hope it works.

Does anyone know of any additional tips (no pun intended) for keeping this thing looking its best?
[/url]

Alyssa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyssa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 7:57pm
I've learned that to keep the manicure longer, put 2 clear coats first then put on the white and base polish on. After that put back on another 2 coats. Do 1 coat a night after that, if you want it to stay on for a long time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic