Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tips From Manicurist!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips From Manicurist!
    Posted: May 05 2003 at 11:08am
Hi all,

I mentioned that I had a manicure after a very long absence of time. My nail tech graciously endured my round of questions and gave me some wonderful tips that you may all know already, but I wanted to share in case others might like to hear them.

1. Discolored nails
A little dab of whitening formula toothpaste will work wonders on yellow or other discolorations spots on nails. Just put a dab on the nails in the area that is discolored and gently rub. Leave on for a short time and then rinse off.

2. Rub gelatin into your nails - don't drink it. Although it is a known thought that drinking gelatin will help nails, my nail tech told me to try using it on the outside of the nails. She said to mix 1 packet of unflavored gelating with 1 Tbs of petroleum jelly and massage it into the nails daily. She said it will help grow pokey nails and soften at the same time.

3. Peeling nails. This is a problem I have. She actually painted my nails and for the first time, they are not peeling. So that is good news. She recommends that you apply a face cream that has glycolic acid onto your nails which will help exfoliate dull skin from the nail beds and will help the polish stay on longer and not peel.

4. Jagged cuticles. She said to use stay away from protein fortified base coats or other nail formulas because they make the cuticles grow fast. To deal with jagged or ragged cuticles use Alka Seltzer to soak your nails in. Then gently brush. She said it will help soften the cuticles.

I have only tried a few of the tips but they all sound doable for a nail klutz like me. I would love to hear feedback or other tips.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Seredipity View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seredipity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2003 at 2:02pm
Those are some great tips. I like the whitening toothpaste idea on the nails. I am going to try it later today.
Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 5:18pm
I read that champagne used in a warm water soak will help to soften the nails. The tip is to add a splash of champagne in a small bowl of warm water and soak fingernails for 5-10 minutes. Then gently remove any rough or bad cuticle spots. The champagne contains something called tartaric acid which is supposed to also help brighten the nails.
MaggieMay View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaggieMay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 11:38am
I like the champagne tip. I could live with that. :-)

Here is another recipe for nails using strawberries.

Take a fork and mask 1 strawberry and combine with enough sugar to create a type of paste. Massage into the hands and the cuticles. It will help to slough off raggedy cuticles and rough skin spots.

rinse well and then massage a good cream into hands and cuticles. Viola.

In fact, why not try the champagne soak and then the strawberry scrub. During the process you could even plop a fresh strawberry into a glass of bubbly and indulge while your hands and nails get their own beauty treatments. :-)

Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 12:16pm
Sounds yummy on all fronts from the drink to the nails. :-)
Igor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2003 at 7:31am
Great tips!
1BCiii
Golden/reddish blonde
Growing out from 0 mm, now a little
below shoulder lenght
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 1:45am
I haven't had a manicure at a salon for awhile. Maybe it's time I go and have it done again!!!
tina
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2003 at 12:46am
Good tips.
*Thanks Karen!
*Especially concerning the jagged cuticles.
dana073 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dana073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 6:30pm
Love the toothpaste idea!! I tend to break my nails if I don't have some kind of polish on them, however I have to take a break from polish because it turns them a light shade of yellow.

I have read that polishes that contain Formaldehyde (please forgive my spelling) will turn your nails yellow, so I do try to stay away from those. Plus the thought of that being in them anyways, just kind of grosses me out. hehehe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic