Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shrinkies maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
octmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shrinkies maintenance
    Posted: March 17 2005 at 10:19pm

What a great idea - I think I will try and put my kids to work!

My 11 yr son might be talked into, but I am sure that I can talk my 8 year old into helping...of course, she might be mad at me and really fry my head...I think I will stick to the TV/VCR recorder!

Octavia

Faces of Pain - One woman's Journey with Chronic Pain
www.octavaia@got-to-have-art.com
A world without ART is a world without color
GOT ART???
darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 2:54am

lol @ syren! her 12 year old is doing her hair!!

I can't get mine to brush his teeth and/or read his required reading every night. you must share you secrets, honey. Seriously. Unless they require what my 2 yr old has and that is an innate sense of desire to wear my shoes and dresses and fix ladies hair and then....wellllll....lol that isn't teachable.

Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 8:12am
Syren... way to teach em' young!  That's hilarious!
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 7:20am
I was less concerned for Mer's head (no offense) and more for mine.  But if a 12 yo boy can be taught to do this succesfully, then I'm less concerned about my sweet and well meaning, but sometimes awkward and uncoordinated, husband causing permanent damage with a heat wand.

I'll try out the template at least to protect my ears as well.

If he causes my too much damage I can always use my microrings to put these tips in and then decide on rings vs hairpolice method (which he really has developed a knack for).

thanks!
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 10:50pm
Oh don't even worry about a burnt head. My 12 year old son is now my full time extension installation and maintenance man! A few turns with the mannequin head and he was good to go. He does whatever needs doing with the heat wand: shrinkies or fusion. If Anthony can master it, I'm sure Mer's man will be an expert in short order.
Btw, he prefers using a template! We've completely melted the plastic one, but have made a new one out of the WaWa tag - nice thick coated paper. Protects those sensitive areas around the ears from burns and makes nice clean strands.

Edited by Syren123
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:29pm
well, i just ordered my heat wand. i have no worries. he reads over my shoulder and spouts off hair knowledge to my friends to show he is as dorky as me... lol
i love plastikhaar
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:26pm
Regarding DI Fiance:  I've had some DI Husband experiences.  He's pretty good at  helping me boxbraid.  Good job recruiting yours to help!

But i'm wondering.  Have you had any trouble explaining what to do so that you end up with a burnt head?  I mean with the braiding if my husband screws up we take one out and start again and it just costs a little time.  Yeah so, who's had a burnt scalp and do you think it's more likely trying to do your own or with an inexperienced SO using the heat element?

:)al
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:17pm
OK, I get it: You wouldn't need the oil, since you're not removing the residue. Coolio! :)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 7:07pm
Jenny Ive done the same thing that amm is talking about. If I have one/few that has came out, or that I want to replace. I just remove the shrinkie using the heat wand and reapply a new shrinkie and hair strand, No oil, no remover whatsoever. Just apply a new one right over top of any residue that was left. Its usually very little so it isnt a big deal to do a few this way.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 6:50pm

Well, good luck! That's excellent that he's willing to help out.

AMM: So the oil doesn't compromise the hold? I would've worried that applying over an oily strand would make it slip, but perhaps the glue makes is stay put? :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 3:32pm
jenny, i don't think fiance would be able to get the sectionig again..... so if i take them out they are gone lol....
i love plastikhaar
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:58pm
Hey there Siren.  That's not me, that's a picture of one of my clients.  I don't know where you got the redhead and wavy from LOL.  I'm blonde with brown streaks.  I'm waiting patiently LOL for my hair to come from Ebonyline then I'm going to do my own install with shrinkies and extentubes so I'm going to post it so you'll see my hair then xxxx Can't wait x
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:26pm
Congrats on trying the DIY route. I have personally saved thousands already - and that even includes all the crap hair purchases I've made.

Yes, absolutely, you can change out the shrinkies individually whenever you wish. I keep a little round tupperware container with a lid on the bathroom counter and my veggie oil is in there. Use as needed.

My personal experience is that I will sometimes lose a hair strand and the shrinkie remains steadfast on my hair. If there hasn't been any shedding you need to clear out, just take out the old shrinkie and reinstall a new one without removing the old shrinkie residue. Yep, just go right over the top of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 11:34am

bc he can do shrinkies for free... lol...

i love plastikhaar
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 11:30am
Amanda, is that you in your icon picture? That's beautiful hair! But I thought you were a redhead or a strawberry blonde wavy head!
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 10:30am

You can use acetone but obviously the oil is kinder on your hair x

kristinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 10:27am
Do you have to use oil or is there anything else to get the glue off?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 3:08am

Yay, DIFiance! How come I don't get this kind of assistance?

With shrinkies, I think you'd be much better off doing it the other way: removing them all, then replacing them all (not one by one). If you're using oil for removal, your hair will be an oily mess, and by the time you get all the residue out, you'll want to wash your hair in clarifying shampoo, Prell, dish soap, or whatever before you redo them.

Just for curiosity: Why the switch? Are you feeling like the braids are too detectable?

:)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:01am

soooo.... my bf is going to take out my pinchbraids and replace them with shrinkies.... but...  when i have to maintain the shrinkies and the have glue on them, can i take them out individually and then replace them one by one???

(like i will be doing with the pinchbraids?)

Mer - who is finally trying DIY --- errrr DI Fiance

i love plastikhaar
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic