Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plastikhaar vs, Dome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:23pm

Yup, I hear you, Syren--I feel like a kid in a candy store with these rings!

And it's true: Sara is a pleasure. Her product is top-notch, and the girl really knows how to communicate with people. PH hasn't been around all that long, and she's already built a trusted, respected name for herself. The rave reviews for her on Quinn's go on for pages! She could teach a lot of these other hair companies a thing or two about running a business, that's for sure. I also appreciate that she's upfront about her product. I never feel like she's just saying something to make a sale.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention: I'm almost certain that Sara has a blending machine and will machine-blend custom colors if you want. She did that for the fall she made me, actually. I think you could order like, say, 70% perlweiss to 30% vanille if you wanted (I am planning my next order here, of course...).

:)

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:21pm

I have walnuss and weizen. They blend quite nicely, even though I was worried when I first pulled em out of the bag, and said NOOOOO! But, blending them subtly is actually quite pretty.

Really REALLY pretty!

edit: wanted to follow in syrens boot kissing, saras hair really is quite fab. I was shocked at how beautiful it is. My other half gave me the same response, "you mean, it isn't real?" but then again, long term wear is the real test, and PH seems to pass that too.

Yeah, but at $13 a bag, I'll get new hair every single installatiom cuz God knows I'll be sick of the colors after a month or two.
Did that come off as boot licking? I didn't mean it to! I'm just thrilled is all. Thrilled at the potential.
edit:I'll get these codes down one of these days.

Edited by Syren123
darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Jenny_RR Jenny_RR wrote:

Yeah, my concern is that if I post the colors, I'd just be adding to the confusion. Hopefully Sara will update the color chart she has, but still, the difference between monitors remains.

Which color did you end up going with? :)

yeah i hear ya.

I have walnuss and weizen. They blend quite nicely, even though I was worried when I first pulled em out of the bag, and said NOOOOO! But, blending them subtly is actually quite pretty.

edit: wanted to follow in syrens boot kissing, saras hair really is quite fab. I was shocked at how beautiful it is. My other half gave me the same response, "you mean, it isn't real?" but then again, long term wear is the real test, and PH seems to pass that too.

Edited by SqueezetheShaman
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:11pm
I don't think it's the camera, Jenny. It's just the nature of the beast. Even printed photographs aren't accurate enough as anyone who has ever been hornswoggled by the pictures on a haircolor box knows. And your pictures are great - they give an excellent overall impression of the huge range and color saturation of the PH hair.
I have 3 bags of PH just waiting for the right time: pfefferschwarz which is a dark, rich #2, mahaghoni which is a half shade lighter touched with red, and muskat, all in 28 mm, and sometimes I just take them out of the bag, drape them on a chair and just LOOK at them! I can't imagine such beautiful natural hair yet they look totally natural. When they came in the mail, I whipped one open and handed it to my bf and he said, "Is this someone's hair?" I told him it was mine now, and he said it was really beautiful...had NO CLUE it wasn't human hair. None.
If the quality of Dome isn't 10,000 times better, I can't imagine paying the price + shipping when PH is just so awesome. And as Jenny said, Sara is a delight to work with - she's responsive and helpful and as I said earlier, she had my order sent to me while she was in Japan and invoiced me when she got back - and she doesn't even know me except from here. She's a great gal, sells a great product at a reasonable price and offers great service. What more could a person ask for? Okay, maybe wefts for no additional charge.
You girls thinking about synth should pull the trigger and get both PH color rings. You will not be sorry.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:03pm

Yeah, my concern is that if I post the colors, I'd just be adding to the confusion. Hopefully Sara will update the color chart she has, but still, the difference between monitors remains.

Which color did you end up going with? :)

darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:55pm

Jenny, if you are really interested, you can look into Adobe photoshop, you can change the hue, the color depth, the saturation, the contrast, etc etc, until it looks right. Although I guess each monitor is different too, so I guess we are screwed in this aspect.

Edited by SqueezetheShaman
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:49pm

It's a whole 'nother world when you've got the rings. And another thing: Some of the colors you'd expect to find under "natural" are on the "funky" ring and vice versa. That's how I overlooked the white-blonde color I was looking for. I mean, it's not exactly natural, but I didn't think to look on the funky ring for it!

I wish I could photograph these colors accurately, but I'm clueless with the camera... :)

darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:43pm
lol delin you sound like me. I was able to dye my hair to the exact color of the main color I got though, so no worries this time. But I totally need a color ring before the next order....
delin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:38pm
Thanks Jenny, I value your advice and I'll stick with PH...only with a color ring.  
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 6:29pm

Yup. I've been wearing the PH 50mm and the Dome Classic for over a month now, and the quality is exactly the same as far as I can tell. Some of the strands I have are blended (Dome and PH within one strand), and others are just Dome or just PH, and you'd never know which were which. Both are slightly shiny when you get them, but the shine depends more on the color you get than the brand, imo, and the shine fades real quick. They respond to heat-styling and products the same; the only thing I'm not sure of is how well each one would melt down for heat-seals, so if you're doing those, there might be a difference, but for pinchbraids, shrinkies, extentubes, etc., they're almost identical, imo.

As far as price, Dome is about $28 a bag, while PH is about $13. Dome is a minimum of about $20 shipping per order, which is a hell of a lot to pay if you're ordering a few bags; delivery is quick, though. PH's shipping is much more reasonable, and they offer a few shipping options. Dome comes about 28 inches long, while PH is about 40. So, given all of those factors, it makes a lot more sense to order from PH, imo.

Also, PH has wefts as well as a lot of different curl patters, beyond their standard straight, 50mm, and 28mm, that you can special-order; Dome has no wefts and only offers the Classic and Wavy textures. The only reason I used Dome was because I thought PH didn't have a color I needed. Well, I just got my PH color rings today, and as it turns out, they do have the color I need, so once I finish up my Dome (I have a few more bags to go), I'll probably go 100% PH. Also, PH's customer service is second to none, so I love dealing with the company. That said, I've never had a problem with Dome; I'd just prefer to buy from PH.

One possible difference: The Dome Classic (which is comparable to the PH 50mm) is definitely a bit wavier when you get it, but the wave in these monofibers washes out rather quickly (also, they're not too different--I had both in my hair and they looked fine together). One assumes the same would hold true for the PH 28mm and the Dome Wavy. But again, the initial texture doesn't really last so you need to reset it, and at that point, it'll all be the same anyway.

PH has a zillion colors, but it's really hard to tell from their website. I really recommend getting a color ring or asking around before you order. The Dome site's colors are a bit more accurate onscreen, but they don't have nearly as many (all the blends thy order are Prolin, which is a total rip-off, since you only get 1/4 of the hair for the price of a bag of standard monofiber).

But even with all the PH colors, which are many, you may need to blend a few to get a perfect match.

:) 

PS--You might want to ask Rae and Mer, too; they've both worn PH and Dome together, I think.

Edited by Jenny_RR
LuckieDuckies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckieDuckies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 2:24pm

hey delin, actually jenny has both installed in her hair right now and in her previous posts she stated that there really wasnt much of a difference between the two so maybe she can comment some more on that  but watch out for the shipping prices on dome it can get kinda expensive

haha faces are funny

delin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 11:30am

I really love everything about the Plastikhaar except for the colors I chose.  They are lovely in and of themselves, but don't match my own hair at all. (my own fault).

Yes, a color-ring would be mandatory, but I was too impatient and didn't want to wait for that to ship from Sweden and then order the hair and wait for that shipment.  It was hard to determine from the computerized image swatches and the names what I was actually getting.  The Dome website has a more English language-friendly ordering process ...ie light brown vs. dinkel.  If someone has tried both, I was curious what the comparison was.  Is there a brand comparable in the US?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic