Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade Hair Recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 9:03am

Karonica-  have you tried going to a health food store to get tea tree oil.  They usually, have all kinds of oils at helthfood stores. You are welcome for the tip by the way.

Aseya- you are so welcome. I have done this before without evening know other people do it and I loved it as well. I'm glad it worked for you...keep me updated with your progress.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 8:04am
Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

Homemade hotoil treatment

You only need two ingredients: oil and conditioner. You can use olive oil or just plain vegetable oil, which is even cheaper. Put about 1/4 cup of oil in a small saucepan and add a tablespoon of hair conditioner. (You can use any kind of creme rinse, this is good for using up conditioner that you didn't particularly like since you will be shampooing it out anyway). Do not use leave-in conditioners.

Hey I just wanted to say that I decided to try the treatment and LOVED it. When I first used it my hair felt kinda dry after I shampooed, but then I conditioned and after my next shampoo my hair felt really soft. I couldn't stop touching it:) I'm going to try it once or twice a week and see how it goes. Thanks for the great recipe!
jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 8:38pm
I made some out of red curl wax (ampro 4 oz), curl activator (World of Curls 16.5 oz) and different moisterizers and oils that I have. It really does make my perfect ringlets. When my hair is wet I get a good curl formation but once it drys it looks dry, puffy, and a hot afro mess. With this stuff--I guess the activator, I can have another styling option once my relaxer grows completely out. I'm trying to hang on to my relxed hair b/c it's so long and soft--only reason I want to go natural is b/c it breaks easily and it's really thin.

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 6:08pm
Sugaplum: Does the second recipe for the Curly Pudding w/ the It's A Black Thang work better? Also, what is It's a Black thang? Is it beeswax b/c the 1st recipe included beeswax, activator and cocobutter. Thanks!

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
divaedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divaedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 11:18pm
Where can you get its a black thing from-- Help a sista in Oklahoma out ...
when people ask you why too much they usually want to really ask why are you so fly
karonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 10:09am
Thanks for the tea tree tip. I will have to order the natural tea tree oil because commercial tea tree products don't do a great deal of help for me.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 6:39pm

Sounds good Sugaplum

Homemade hotoil treatment

You only need two ingredients: oil and conditioner. You can use olive oil or just plain vegetable oil, which is even cheaper. Put about 1/4 cup of oil in a small saucepan and add a tablespoon of hair conditioner. (You can use any kind of creme rinse, this is good for using up conditioner that you didn't particularly like since you will be shampooing it out anyway). Do not use leave-in conditioners.

Process:

Gently heat the oil and the conditioner, stirring as you go along. Remember that oil heats very quickly and can burn quite easily: NEVER leave unattended. You are only heating it to the point of warming the oil and blending it with the conditioner. Once it is warm, remove from heat. Be sure you test the heat of the oil before putting it on your hair.

If it seems too warm, wait several minutes before applying. It is not recommended to use a microwave to heat the oil since temperatures are hard to control and you might wind up with part of it being much hotter than the other. Apply the warm oil to dry hair.

If your hair is long, thick or very damaged (as can happen to bleached, permed or dyed hair), it is best to use a comb to work it in and make sure that you have covered every strand, paying particular attention to the ends of the hair. Then you can wrap your hair in plastic wrap to help keep the heat in and leave it on for about 30 minutes. If your hair is shorter or not as damaged, you can just work it in and leave it for 5 minutes. When the time is up, you will need to shampoo the oil out. You will probably need to shampoo twice. The first time you use it, you might skip using additional conditioner. You don't want to weigh down the hair too much, but if you notice that it seems dry after shampooing it out, then you can use conditioner after shampooing.

For very damaged hair, use the treatment once a week at least, twice if it is very long or damaged. Otherwise, every two weeks is all that is required. If you have problems with your scalp, try adding some tea-tree oil to your hair treatments. Tea tree oil isn't cheap, but you will only use a small amount. It is a natural anti-fungal and can help greatly with dandruff-like problems and seborrhea. You can buy tea tree oil at health food stores.

You can also just do the ends of your hair (use less oil). You can make up a batch of it to keep on hand, just mix well if you notice the conditioner settling. Use a small squeeze bottle (you can reuse the bottles that have hair dye or perm solution, rinse out well) this will make it easy to apply.

As the condition of your hair improves, a once-a-month maintenance treatment is all that is needed

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 12:41pm

Update: I used half of the 4oz. jar of "It's A Black Thang", 3 sticks of "Helene Cocoa Butter" and I melted it in a glass bowl throughly. I then added  2 - 10 oz jars of "Smooth & Shine Curl Activator Gel" and stirred the butters until smooth and it looked like vanilla pudding.

Ladies this really works and my natural curls have more definition.  I apply this to my wet natural hair every morning.

Edited by sugaplum
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 12:39pm
Hello Ladies,

As I was searching the website for new products I will be using on my new natural, I came across the "Miss Jessie Curly Pudding." This looks wonderful...but I wish I could say that about the price!!

So I did a serch on "Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Substitute" and I came across this:
__________________________________________________ _______________

I like the curly pudding and buttercreme but they are a bit much on the pocket book considering the amount of hair I have so I made my own. I think it's nice these girls hit on some thing but It's not really any thing new. Take a look for your self. I came up with 3 products that you can buy @ walgreens for under $7 bucks and mix together for a hold b/t the buttercreme and the pudding. If you want to buy Miss Jessies for special occations or something, great, but if you need an every day solution to looking good please try this at least once.

Miss Jessie’s:

Curly Pudding : 16 oz $28ea

Water, vegetable glycerin, aloe vera gel, carbomer, tocopherol acetate, sweet alomond oil, milk protien, Vitamin E, panthenol, pectin, sweet orange oil, fragrance.

Baby Buttercreme: 16 oz $42ea

Acetylated lanolin bees wax, shea butter, cocoa butter, carbomer 940, castor oil, deionized water, dilauraralaneth15 , fragrance, glycerin, glycerin state, glyceryl hydrolyzed animal protien, imidazolidinyl,
Jojoba oil, laneth15, mineral oil, methyl, paraben , milk protien, panthenol, paraffin, peg-400, peg 100 state, petrolatum, placenta, propal paraben, triethanolamine, urea, vitamin E, wheat germ oil.

I’ve tried miss Jessie’s and I’ve made my own and mine works just the same, AND YOU CAN GET ALL THE INGREDIENCE @ SALLYS!.

PROCLAIM Curl Activator Gel 32 oz FOR $3

Water Aqua , Glycerin , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hyaluronic Acid , Panthenol , Oleth-20 , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Benzophenone-4 , Disodium EDTA , DMDM Hydantoin Fragrance Parfum ,

COCOACARE : cocoa butter stick 1 oz $0.99ea

PROCLAIM : petrolium bees wax 4oz $2.19

HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT.

3 STICKS COCOA BUTTER

1/2 OF JAR OF BEESWAX 2oz

1 32 oz TUB CURL ACTIVATOR

Begin by taking the cocoa butter sticks and placing them in a bowl. Scoop out 1/2 jar of bees wax and place it in the same bowl. Microwave bees wax and cocoa butter until they are liquid. Use an other larger bowl to put the curl activator it. Leave some curl activator inside of the jar for later. Take liquid wax and cocoa butter and pour it into the bowl with the curl activator. Mix vigorously with a spoon. what you will first get while mixing these the two may look like cellulite but be persistant and keep mixing until the mixture looks exactly like vanilla pudding then mix in remander of activator gel in the jar.

If you do not microvave the bees wax well enough it will clump up when you add it to the cold gel activator it may bead up and not allow you to get the perfectly smooth consistancy that you want. If this happens put the whole solution in the microwave for 4 minutes then beging to mix again. after about 2 minutes of mixing add back in the curl activator you left out from before and it should begin to look like pudding.

Apply to wet hair and style using shingling process discribed @ curvesalon.com. or how ever you wish.

This recipe on one average head of hair will last for about 2 months, and costs under 10 dollars, with some bees wax left over to haddle those pesky edge naps. I hope this has been helpful and I hope it works for you.

http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/vi...af99a85b4ce4810
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:37pm

Is it in a jar that is closed...make sure it is tightly closed. Shake it at least once a day for 2 weeks. The color is similiar to the flowers that you placed in there. After doing that strain the roses out of the water and there u have rose water.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 2:18pm
does anyone know how to make rosewater? i bought some rose petals and they're soaking up the sun right now in some water. what is it supposed to look like? and how many days should i leave in under sunlight?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:23am
Fruit Smoothie Hair Mask
Blend 1/2 a banana, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cantaloupe, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil and 1 tablespoon yogurt. For extra conditioning, squeeze in the contents of a vitamin E capsule. Leave in hair for 15 minutes.

Honey & Olive Oil Hair Mask
Mix 1/2 cup honey and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Shampoo well and rinse. 

Dandruff Treatment

Boil 7 heaping tablespoons dried thyme in 2 cups water for 10 minutes. Strain and cool. Pour 1/2 mixture over clean, damp hair. Massage into scalp, do not rinse. Use the rest of the solution another day.

Yogurt Hair Mask

Beat 1 egg white until foamy. Add to 6 tablespoons plain natural yogurt. Apply to hair in small sections at a time. Leave in for 15 minutes. Rinse.

Egg & Olive Oil Hair Mask

Mix two whole eggs with four tablespoons of olive oil. Smooth through hair. Wrap head with plastic wrap, and leave in hair for 10 minutes. Rinse well.

Conditioners
creativehomemaking

~ Mayonnaise is a great conditioner for dry hair.  Depending on the length of your hair, apply approximately 1/2 cup of mayonnaise to your dry hair. Work into hair really well and then cover your hair with a plastic bag, allowing to set for about 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and then shampoo as usual.

~ In a blender or food processor, combine 2 1/2 tablespoons dried milk, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil, and 1 egg. Apply evenly to hair and let set for at least an hour. Shampoo and style as usual.

Hair Setting Lotions
creativehomemaking

~ Try dissolving a teaspoon of gelatin in a cup of warm water and use this as a setting lotion before styling hair. You can use this as a liquid or chill it and use it as a gel.

~ Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in 1 cup warm water and apply to damp hair before styling.

~ Combine 4 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons honey in a glass jar with a lid and shake until well blended. Let mixture sit for 3 to 4 days, and shake it occasionally. Rub mixture evenly into dry hair and wrap hair in plastic wrap, letting set for at least an hour. Shampoo as usual.

~ Mix together 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 egg.  Apply to hair and let set for about an hour.  Shampoo as usual.

~ To help a flaky scalp, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in the microwave (make sure it’s not too hot!) and then gently apply to scalp with cotton balls.  Let set for at least an hour and then shampoo as usual.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 3:53pm

oh if anyone is interested, someone at another website showed my an interesting link and i just purchased a gallon of shampoo concentrate, a gallon of castor oil and a gallon of conditioner concentrate. You just add water. but you can also add oil and fragance if you so desire. the website is www.thechemistrystore.com   and it's worth a look.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 2:16pm

Here's another one for a pre-poo:

1 cup Conditioner (I use the VO5 Free Me Fressia CON)

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup EVOO

5 capsules of Biotin Vitamin (Mine are 5,000 mcgs each-this prevents shedding)

*Optional: I add Queen Helene Cholesterol to my ends*

I cover with a plastic bag.  I leave all this on for as long as I can.  Mainly anywhere from 4 hours to overnight.  And be ready to rinse this out and feel a slip that you will not believe.  I do this once a week.

100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 6:11pm

Here's a really good leave-in I made:

1 cup water (distilled or purified)

1/3 cup rosewater/glycerine

4 tablespoons light conditioner (like VO5 Nourishing Oasis Honey & Almond)

1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil

I put all these ingrediets in aspray bottle and shake very well.  This is great and is a really good detangler.

Edited by sugaplum
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:26pm
www.camdengrey.com is a good site to get butters from that i have used.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:14pm

There are sites they can also be found if you google it and put shea butter or essential oils in the search engine.

just to name a few

www.nasabb.com

www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

QueenLinda83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenLinda83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 9:36pm

Is there a reputable site/place to buy these butters from? 

Thanks!

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 10:42am

Update-

Ok i talked to someone who said instead of putting in 50/50 of the ingredient put in 60 percent of shea and 40 percent of aloe and stir with a fork, than place in fridge that way it wont seperate. I had mine for 2 days now and its just fine. 

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 7:22pm

Just wanted to add, if u are going to make a large batch of shealoe, and want it to last long u might want to use an emulsifier(a product that keeps oils and waters from seperating) (beeswax, borax and others that I am doing research on), after a while, if left alone it will seperate.

http://www.soapnuts.com/snspecialoils.html

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic