Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade Hair Recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:49am

Originally posted by jasmine2g3 jasmine2g3 wrote:

where can i purchase 100% shea butter 

You can purchase shea butter at african markets and there are sites, just look online to compare prices. Sometimes health food stores have it, i'm not sure if its refined or unfined tho. 

Quote and is it okay to use on my ends without melting or will it be too hard?
It has a nutty scent usually, yes u can use it on.

Yes u can use it on your ends, I would rub it in my hands first tho (it melts from our body heat), or u will have white chunks on your hair.  A little goes a long way, so it won't take much for your ends.

@Honeydo, your recipes sounds good honeydoo, i really want to try it.

update...i tried making my shealoe, just a small amount. I melted a 1tbsp shea and added a 1tbsp of aloe vera gel (perchased from health store/GNC. I mixed it and then let it sit, cool off and i put it on 2 sections of hair that I braided up. My braid out is very defined, and feels moisturized.  I added it only to 2 sections because I wanted to feel the difference from the rest of my hair. Although all of my hair is soft, this feels softer and like i said is more defined. I would suggest anyone to try it, relaxed and natural.  I believe i will use it only for harsh cold winter tho, I really don't like alot of stuff in my hair.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 7:55pm

Avocado Hair Mask

1 ripe avocado

1 tbsp honey

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp castor oil

Mash the avocado in a bowl and add the honey and the oils (You can substitute with any oil you wish. ) If you have a blender you can puree this or just mix until creamy. Apply to your hair wet or dry under a plastic cap, then let sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse and wash hair as normal.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 7:47pm
where can i purchase 100% shea butter and is it okay to use on my ends without melting or will it be too hard?

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 5:32pm

Today I was messing around with some hair stuff trying to make my own custom moisturizer.Well really something to put in my hair for blowdrying So I got out my spray bottle of Infusium 23 and poured a good amount of it out. I then added John Frieda Frizease Relax Texture Correcting serum, Elasta QP Oil Recovery Moisturizer, Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil, Lustrasilk Moisture Maxx and some water. Shook it up and went to blow-dry my hair, but decided against it, because I’ve resisted about a month and a half and didn’t want to go back, so I let it air dry, and my hair has never felt softer. And to have mixed such different products the smell was great. This all was of course after a conditioner wash. I’m about 9 weeks post perm and am trying to minimize the shedding.So I've been cond washing and airdrying in a puff, and keeping my hair super mosturized. But the perm has got to be done this weekend. So I plan on going shopping for hair stuff. Saturday hopefully I can keep some money in my pocket.

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 6:02pm

Lip balm...from nappturality

Quote Coconut oil
Beewax (this gives it a solid form, so the more you use the more solid it would be)
Olive oil
Honey
FO (I used blueberry fragrance oil, found it at a local soap store in Norway)

Melt oils, waxes and honey. Whisk well or the honey would settle at the bottom of the jar. wink.gif Experience.

Or you can wait for it to cool and mix with a spoon or a fork. It's best to pour the oils in your container and let it cool there. Less mess

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:58pm

Ok i got this from nappturality...I am going to try this this weekend also.

i'm recently in love with this from head to toe for winter 'ash season'
thick & rich body oil / hair milk
1 Tb Shea butter, melted
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup sweet almond oil
1/4 cup olive oil

Quote mix together. add fragrance. put into 8oz bottle with a disk top, b/c as it cools the mixture will thicken too much for one of those flip-spout top bottles. 

if you don't have this exact ratio of oils, the main idea is mixing a Tablespoon or two of melted shea butter into about 1 cup of liquid oil.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:47pm

Shealoe... haven't made it yet but did find that it is an equal amount of shea butter and aloe vera gel.

o and i found this recipe too...this one uses an emulsifier bringing the oils and liquids together.

Quote Sheaaloe.

I have tried to make sheaaloe with FOTE and it has separated. Here is something that worked for me.

1/2  cup shea butter
1/2  cup 100% aloe jelly/juice (I used Lily of the Desert)
1Tbs emulsifying wax
1Tbs honey
10-40 drops e.o.'s to your hearts content (i like ylang ylang and lavender.

Melt shea butter, honey, and wax in double boiler for 20 min.
Add aloe and e.o.'s and simmer for 3 min.
Let it cool naturally mixing with habd mixer every half hour or so. Should take a couple of hours to harden.

I think i will try making this sometime over the weekend.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:46pm
If anyone has interest in recipes, have tried to make any, or seen some interesting ones they would like to try or, would like to gain knowledge on concoctions, just post it here.

Edited by Administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic