Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade Hair Recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 12:41pm

Update: I used half of the 4oz. jar of "It's A Black Thang", 3 sticks of "Helene Cocoa Butter" and I melted it in a glass bowl throughly. I then added  2 - 10 oz jars of "Smooth & Shine Curl Activator Gel" and stirred the butters until smooth and it looked like vanilla pudding.

Ladies this really works and my natural curls have more definition.  I apply this to my wet natural hair every morning.

Edited by sugaplum
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 6:39pm

Sounds good Sugaplum

Homemade hotoil treatment

You only need two ingredients: oil and conditioner. You can use olive oil or just plain vegetable oil, which is even cheaper. Put about 1/4 cup of oil in a small saucepan and add a tablespoon of hair conditioner. (You can use any kind of creme rinse, this is good for using up conditioner that you didn't particularly like since you will be shampooing it out anyway). Do not use leave-in conditioners.

Process:

Gently heat the oil and the conditioner, stirring as you go along. Remember that oil heats very quickly and can burn quite easily: NEVER leave unattended. You are only heating it to the point of warming the oil and blending it with the conditioner. Once it is warm, remove from heat. Be sure you test the heat of the oil before putting it on your hair.

If it seems too warm, wait several minutes before applying. It is not recommended to use a microwave to heat the oil since temperatures are hard to control and you might wind up with part of it being much hotter than the other. Apply the warm oil to dry hair.

If your hair is long, thick or very damaged (as can happen to bleached, permed or dyed hair), it is best to use a comb to work it in and make sure that you have covered every strand, paying particular attention to the ends of the hair. Then you can wrap your hair in plastic wrap to help keep the heat in and leave it on for about 30 minutes. If your hair is shorter or not as damaged, you can just work it in and leave it for 5 minutes. When the time is up, you will need to shampoo the oil out. You will probably need to shampoo twice. The first time you use it, you might skip using additional conditioner. You don't want to weigh down the hair too much, but if you notice that it seems dry after shampooing it out, then you can use conditioner after shampooing.

For very damaged hair, use the treatment once a week at least, twice if it is very long or damaged. Otherwise, every two weeks is all that is required. If you have problems with your scalp, try adding some tea-tree oil to your hair treatments. Tea tree oil isn't cheap, but you will only use a small amount. It is a natural anti-fungal and can help greatly with dandruff-like problems and seborrhea. You can buy tea tree oil at health food stores.

You can also just do the ends of your hair (use less oil). You can make up a batch of it to keep on hand, just mix well if you notice the conditioner settling. Use a small squeeze bottle (you can reuse the bottles that have hair dye or perm solution, rinse out well) this will make it easy to apply.

As the condition of your hair improves, a once-a-month maintenance treatment is all that is needed

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

karonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2005 at 10:09am
Thanks for the tea tree tip. I will have to order the natural tea tree oil because commercial tea tree products don't do a great deal of help for me.
divaedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divaedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 11:18pm
Where can you get its a black thing from-- Help a sista in Oklahoma out ...
when people ask you why too much they usually want to really ask why are you so fly
jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 6:08pm
Sugaplum: Does the second recipe for the Curly Pudding w/ the It's A Black Thang work better? Also, what is It's a Black thang? Is it beeswax b/c the 1st recipe included beeswax, activator and cocobutter. Thanks!

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 8:38pm
I made some out of red curl wax (ampro 4 oz), curl activator (World of Curls 16.5 oz) and different moisterizers and oils that I have. It really does make my perfect ringlets. When my hair is wet I get a good curl formation but once it drys it looks dry, puffy, and a hot afro mess. With this stuff--I guess the activator, I can have another styling option once my relaxer grows completely out. I'm trying to hang on to my relxed hair b/c it's so long and soft--only reason I want to go natural is b/c it breaks easily and it's really thin.

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 8:04am
Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

Homemade hotoil treatment

You only need two ingredients: oil and conditioner. You can use olive oil or just plain vegetable oil, which is even cheaper. Put about 1/4 cup of oil in a small saucepan and add a tablespoon of hair conditioner. (You can use any kind of creme rinse, this is good for using up conditioner that you didn't particularly like since you will be shampooing it out anyway). Do not use leave-in conditioners.

Hey I just wanted to say that I decided to try the treatment and LOVED it. When I first used it my hair felt kinda dry after I shampooed, but then I conditioned and after my next shampoo my hair felt really soft. I couldn't stop touching it:) I'm going to try it once or twice a week and see how it goes. Thanks for the great recipe!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 9:03am

Karonica-  have you tried going to a health food store to get tea tree oil.  They usually, have all kinds of oils at helthfood stores. You are welcome for the tip by the way.

Aseya- you are so welcome. I have done this before without evening know other people do it and I loved it as well. I'm glad it worked for you...keep me updated with your progress.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 7:08am
cmsweet -- thanks for the post on the hot oil treatment. i've found that
my hair responds really well to hot oil treatments and i want to start
using them once a week -- but they are expensive! Well okay, they're not
like $20 or something, but for a little bit of oil, it should be a lot less, in
my opinion. I will have to try this out. But two questions:

(a) how long do you usually watch the oil for as it simmers?
(b) i guess i'm confused as to how it works. i thought the oils i buy have
all these special hair oils in them yet this one only uses olive oil. is it just
as healthy for your hair as the ones you buy in the store?

thanks so much!
aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 12:23pm
Canopy-
I've actually got her hot oil treatment recipe on my head right now! Hehe I am so in love with it. (although this is only the third time I've used it) I wasn't really getting results with just conditioner or plain oil, but mixing it together seems to work!

My dad was kinda freaking about me using our regular pots to heat up my "hair stuff" so I heated the oil in the microwave for about 45 seconds and then mixed it with the conditioner and that worked well too.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share what works with me:)
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 12:53pm

Thanks Aseya for your assistance. Girl, I see you are really loving that treatment.

Canopy you can use any oil that works for you...when I first  started I use canola oil, yes the kind you cook with and it worked just find.  Just try to warm it a bit,45 seconds in the microwave is about right, don't try to make it so hot that you can't even touch it that would not be good at all.    I hope that helps.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2005 at 7:54pm

Aseya~ your glowing review convinced me to try this out! I'm now excited for Sunday (deep treatment day). Thanks for the microwave tip.

Cmesweet- you always give good advice so I am confident this will have great results. Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it turns out.

canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 11:54am

Hey guys -- I used the homemade hot oil treatment. What an experience! I had some slight problems with prep, not because of the directions, but because I'm a total klutz. After I got the mixture, I put it on my hair, popped on my shower cap and stepped in for a nice shower. When it came time to rinse my hair, my hair was SO SOFT...it was softer after the hot oil treatment than any conditioning wash has ever gotten it. I love this.

The next time I use this, instead of doing the hot oil treatment, perhaps I'll shampoo/condition at the beginning of the shower rituatal, then put on the hot oil and then shower. I'll rinse it out at the end so I can have that softness all day long. It's a really good mixture, A+.

Also, I had some issues putting it on my head. For those of you who have used it, how do you actually apply it? I had it in a small cup and I didn't think ahead about how to transfer it to my hair so I just dumped it over my head. I ended up with product running down my face and some got in my eyes.  Also, when you used it, did the conditioner bead up? Mine did and it was kinda cool.

cmesweet, thanks for the good tip!! My hair loves it!

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 3:54pm
Hey Canopy! I'm so glad you liked the recipe! Wow, it's not even MY recipe but I'm getting all excited:)

When I mixed it the first time the conditioner did turn into little beads. The next time, I let the oil get alittle warmer and just stirred and stirred and stirred until I got a smooth mixture.

What I do is put my hair in a pony tail and then pour some of the treatment into my hand and scrunch it onto my ends. Then I take my hair down and in small sections ,from the bottom up. I pour some more treatment into my hands and massage it into the section. Then I massage my scalp a little. Now that I think about it though, the top of my head tends to be drier, so I should probably start applying it there..

Cmesweet- I was telling my mom's friend about the recipe (her sister in law has broken hair due to an uneducated stylist) and the next day I had my hair in curls and they were all like 'wow your hair looks so pretty'. And my mom's friend was like 'see? it's all those oil treatments'! :)
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 9:46pm

Canopy- Glad to hear that you are liking the results! If you are having problems with the oil treatment, try using a spray bottle.  But I usually, use the method that Aseya uses because it seems quicker and I feel that I get each strand quicker.

Aseya- See, you are an inspiration to those around you! I need to see that style you were rocking girl. Send your friend over here and so we can hook her up.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 4:39pm
I read about this in a magazine a while ago. I tried it myself and it really helped my scalp.

For dandruff, an itchy scalp, etc...

Mix 1/4 cup of mouthwash with 1 cup of water and rinse hair with it before shampooing and conditioning as usual.

I apply that to my hair, massage it into my scalp and leave it on for five minutes before I rinse it out and shampoo. It makes my scalp feel soo tingly! :)

Cmesweet- That girl had her hair relaxed, but everytime she got it touched up the stylist would run the relaxer through to the ends. The poor girl has a whole section at the back of her head that has broken off and left only about 2 inches of regrowth. Right now she's deep conditioning like crazy and letting it just grow out. I will post photos of my hair as soon as I can figure out how to work my scanner (or as soon as someone shows me heheh)
locsoflife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote locsoflife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 6:16pm

I love this group so much!!!  The hot oil treatment is wonderful! I mixed shea butter, OV, carrot oil, and conditioner. It felt soooo good, and washed out fine. Thanks to all you ladies, my locs are going to be long, soft, and strong in no time!

blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 1:48pm
I have purchased butter fromnaturewithlove.com but they are expensive try a natural food store first.

Originally posted by QueenLinda83 QueenLinda83 wrote:

Is there a reputable site/place to buy these butters from? 

Thanks!

blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2005 at 1:54pm
I am so happy to see that other ppl try alternative hair remedies other than what is in the shelf of a store...my old stylist thought it was weird that I would put my hot oil treatment on before shampooing and conditioning...I love this website! The recipes sound good but I would recomend adding in either shea or castor oil those are my favorite
QueenLinda83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenLinda83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2005 at 7:19pm

The is my "pre-poo" concoction that I try to use everytime I shampoo (or whenever my hair needs some extra softness)

1 can of coconut milk, a good helping of my favorite oils (I use evoo, jojoba, wgo and some hot six oil), suave tropical cocnout conditioner, about 3 tablespoons of honey, and maybe a half a cup of a thick conditioner.  I heat this up on the stove until it boils, and then I let it cool.  I put it on my hair for about 1 hr (under a dryer) and then shampoo out.  My hair comes out so soft and moisturized!  I need to do this more often.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic