Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade Hair Recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 8:43am

im gonna try the hot oil treatment.  It sounds great.

4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

L281173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L281173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 7:03am
A great condition that I have tried is Plain yogurt mixed with an egg and vitamin e or tea tree oil.  Let this mixture sit on the hair about 45 minutes.  Heat is optional.  This regimen really moisturizes the scalp.
one classy, sassy female
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 8:43pm

an oil blend, great for massaging.

Main purpose of this blend is to incorporate an essential oil, Ginger Oil, which is used for massages and to treat joint pain. It must be diluted with a carriar oil.

2 teaspoons of Vegetable oil ( which is a variation of soybean oil)

1/2 teaspons of coconut oil

2-3 drops of ginger oil

stir together, and use as a massgae oil on scalp on any part of body.

I have also used this on my scalp, followed by spritzing with water. My scalp appeared and felt very clean and moisturized.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:59am
ok- cmesweet- delicious recipe- give it up- where did you get the ginger oil from?
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 1:23pm
lol ... I ordered the Ginger oil from www.fromnaturewithlove.com .  I believe there are 2 types of ginger oil...I used the China ginger.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Creation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 10:18pm
Hi everyone ,

Newbie here.  I'm really excited to get to know all of you!  Everyone seems so nice

Anyway, in regard to the thread I saw this website that tells about natural hair care and has several recipes.  I haven't tried them yet but let me know how you like them.

Its motowngirl.com

And there is another web-site that does reviews on natural hair care products as well as on recipes.

That web-site is mynatural.com

Hope this helps!!

Creation
Righteousness isn't in what you do its a gift!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 12:37am

Welcome Creation to this site!  I know of motowngirls site...my interview is on there this month. Take a look at it if you like :)

Ok I have another Ginger recipe, from Shulta of NP   she is the owner of www.anitagrant.com

I spoke with her about making ginger tea. It tastes wonderful, you have to try it! Her directions were as follows:

1. Cut a half inch thick slice of Ginger Root and place it in a nice big ol' mug
2. Boil some water (enough to fill that big ol' mug happy.gif )
3. Whe the water has boiled add the boiled water to the mug that contains the sliced Ginger root.
4. Cover the mug with a small plate or tea dish or cling film while it brews.
5. Let it brew/steep for a min. of 5 mins or max of 15 mins.
6. Sip to taste
7. Strain out the Ginger (if you wish)
8. Add Honey and/or a Cinnamon stick or some fresh Lemongrass or a fresh pod of Vanilla (my fav. with a bit of honey - YUM-O-TEA!!!)

I used a slice of lemon and sweetened with honey. It was great...

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 8:36pm

I try to use only natural and organic ingredients in my hair, since I'm not a fan of chemicals right now.  But this is my recipe for scalp oil.  I have dry skin and this helps.  I don't have messurements to give you since I just mix how I see fit.

Mostly Olive Oil

Vitamin E Oil

Carot Oil

Castor Oil

Coconut Oil or (Medium Chain Triglycerides that come in oil form, because coconut oil has to be melted down)

Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
Jamgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 6:03pm

BEER SHAMPOO

Select herbal shampoo (i.e. chamomile, lavender or rosemary)

Heat 1 1/2 cups of regular beer to boil

Boil until beer reduces to a 1/4 cup

Mix beer into 3/4 full shampoo bottle (no water necessary)

Massage well into wet scalp

Wait for 2 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water

BEER CONDITIONING RINSE

Grab old can/bottle of flat, stale beer

Pour beer over hair

Do not rinse

Add honey

Allow contents to soak into hair

Lightly towel-dry hair

Wait for beer to set

Beer Hair Rinse

1 oz distilled or clean catch rain water

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

7 drops lemon essential oil

1 ounce beer (stale works fine)

5 drops rosemary essential oil

5 drops calendula essential oil (optional, but recommended for blondes)

Mix all ingredients together. Use as a final rinse, rinse well. Beer adds protein to make hair shiny and make it feel thicker.

kellie7777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie7777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 12:44am
i tried the hot oil treatment with the EVOO and the conditioner. OMG... i had oil running down my neck and everywhere. but i gotta tell you. my hair is soft and feels great. my whole body too. lol!! i must have used too much oil i think. sheesh. i was well oiled. i had to scrub the shower to prevent slipping.
I had some fun.... hee hee.
http://public.fotki.com/Kell1e/
Transitioning since Aug 06
Last Relaxer Apr 06
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:15am
I have long been disappointed with the results of many "deep" conditioners. So after researching some of the ingredients, I found that many of the ingredients, regardless of brand whether $2 or $85, were just heavy lubricants and carrier waxes with molecular weights waaaay too large to penetrate a hair shaft. I looked to create my own products loosely based on formulas from sites like:

snowdriftfarm.com
thesoapdish.com
pvsoap.com
theherbarie.com
mountainroseherbs.com

Some of these sites have their own formulas but you can add/subtract whatever you like. I like the fact that I can make my conditioner with natural products and few preservatives and waxes instead of a lot of harsh surfactants, preservatives and carrier waxes and few natural "extracts."

I'm in!
blackblondegrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackblondegrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2006 at 8:57pm
I use some mayo mixed with honey, olive oil, an egg yolk, and regular conditioner mixed really well whipped almost then applied to dry hair and left to work for a couple hrs or under the dryer 20 mins then shampoo out cheap and great
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 12:14am
I've actually tried the at home recipe for MTG and by golly...it doesn't smell and so far, it works as well.  I'll keep the group posted.
Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

Avocado Hair Mask

1 ripe avocado

1 tbsp honey

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp castor oil

Mash the avocado in a bowl and add the honey and the oils (You can substitute with any oil you wish. ) If you have a blender you can puree this or just mix until creamy. Apply to your hair wet or dry under a plastic cap, then let sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse and wash hair as normal.

Yes.  Clap This is great.  I've used this recipe many times for dry hair...minus the castor oil and honey.
I sit under a heated electric cap for about 1-2 hours, although it's not required more than 30 minutes I really enjoy the heat to my scalp.
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2007 at 7:36pm
This is a great thread...WOW Clap
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2007 at 1:27pm

I need to go purchase an avocado for the avocado mask. Has anyone tried it yet? It sound wonderful and also I want to do an herbal shampoo...what herbs should i shampoo with?

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

sakura07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakura07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 7:08pm
Fox's Shea Butter Conditioing Cream ( found here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4487)

1 part Shea Butter
1 part Conditioner
1/2 part Oil
A few drops of essential oils that compliment your hair type and scent preference

This stuff is heavenly. I would say use a Cone free conditioner, I used Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner. And whatever oils work for you. I used a mixutre of jojoba and sweet almond oil.

A word of advice, a little goes a long way so only use a little. Or else you will have waxy hair.
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 10:21am

I tried a new mixture..... 

a spoonful of rhassoul clay with enough water to make a thick paste, then added a spoonful of molasses

I washed my hair with it and used what was left over on my face.  My hair was gloriously soft and shiny with absolutely no frizz!  My face felt so soft and smooth too.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2007 at 2:00am
HI JAsmine

I bought mine on the internet from Nasabb...  good price, and pure too
gotta be careful about whos you buy and never buy it in a premade product.
sashi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:11pm
Hi,

I have got this recipe from this site called: http://www.cure-for.info
It has this great homemade recipe which are natural and side-effects. I have tried their this recipe which goes as:
  Take 100 gms of curd. Add about 1 gm of black pepper to it. Mix it well and apply it evenly on the hair and scalp. Keep it for an hour and then wash with warm water and mild shampoo.  Do this treatment once a week to see the remarkable difference in the texture and color of your hair . Your hair will become silkier and regular use will also make the hair dandruff-free. Curd helps in curing dandruff and making the hair softer while black pepper helps make the hair black. So one recipe gives 3 benefits - a) dandruff-free hair b) soft and silky hair and c) black hair. Doing this once a week helps in maintaining the hair color and delaying greying to a great extent. This recipe should be avoided by people who have a tendency to catch frequent colds and coughs. Curd causes a cooling effect on the head and this may worsen a cold situation.

I have tried this and It definitely seemed to be good as my hair has become silky and I can see a drastic change in the texture of my hair.
This site has some other good recipes also.

Sashi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic