Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what is the difference??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
octmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is the difference??
    Posted: March 17 2005 at 5:06pm

Ok, what is the difference between remi, kanakelon, monofibre, toyokalon & profibre synthetic hair extensions??

What does WaWa fall under?

Cheers!

Octavia

Faces of Pain - One woman's Journey with Chronic Pain
www.octavaia@got-to-have-art.com
A world without ART is a world without color
GOT ART???
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 5:53pm

Remi:  I thought this was a human-hair only classification

Profibre and Monofiber are the same thing, just different names.  I think they're high-grade KK.

Toyo and KK are names assigned to slightly different compositions or manufacturing methods.  It's a product name like Teflon.  Regular KK most commonly comes as jumbo braid or silky straight.  Toyo is often straight with a flip on the bottom.  Toyo is more expensive than regular KK; some people say it's closer to human hair.  I've found Toyo to tangle more easily than KK, and it often has a coarser "yaky" texture.

As to WaWa...I think it's probably it's own thing.  It's probably related to monofiber, but it has a higher melting temperature.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 5:58pm

OK, this is a pretty involved question....

The term "remi" or "remy" applies to human hair; the rest of the terms you mentioned apply to synth. What remi, or remy, means is the source of tons of debate. In my opinion, the term may have at one time meant that the hair was cuticle-intact or single-drawn, but now it's morphed into a vauge marketing term that sellers use liberally to describe what they consider to be high-quality hair. And of course, what's high-quality is debatable, too. 

Here's my understanding of the different grades of synth:

WaWa qualifies as thermofiber, as does Ebonyline Adore, Freetress Futura, American Dream thermo, and OPH (organic protein hair). These are all suitable for loose extensions. Thermo is more heat-resistant than other synth and therefore won't fry if you use a curling iron or flatiron on it when the hair's wet. It takes a while to curl, in my experience (because of that resistance), although I believe the time may vary from brand to brand. The therms are relatively new to the scene, but are getting good reviews so far. They seem to hold some curl after washing, although it loosens. The biggest problem seems to be a lack of color and length choice and limited availability (I imagine we'll be seeing a lot more of this hair in the next year, though). I'm not sure that therm would work for heat-sealed extensions, but they'd be suitable for everything else.

Monofiber/monofilament has been around forever and includes Dome, PlastikHaar, Trimco, and ProStyles/ProHair. It's high-quality synth that's suitable for loose extensions. You can use steam and hot rollers as much as you want on dry hair, as well as a curling iron or flatiron when the hair is wet, but you do need to be careful with metal tools (doing test strands, etc.) or you'll fry the hair. It seems to hold some curl after washing, although it loosens, too.

To my knowledge, those two are the best for loose extensions because they'll stay relatively soft, silky, and tangle-free. I believe kanekalon is a more general term that can apply to high-quality monofiber/monofilament, like PH, or lower-quality stuff like kanekalon silky braid. Either way, it's important to look at the brand.

Toyokalon, polypropylene, or jumbo braid are a definite step down in quality from the others. They may be good for falls--and I think they work quite well for dreads--but for loose extensions, you'd want to stick with thermofiber or monofiber/monofilament.

:)

octmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 10:14pm

WOW - I wanted to order longer light brown WaWa type hair, but seem to be getting really confused on the PlastikHaar site. I know that I cannot order DOME in the US without a licence....Right???  I have not looked at the other names Trimco or ProHair/styles.

Do you feel that the WaWa type hair is better in the long run then the Dome or PH??

Remy ended up there by mistake, I have swore off human hair, I kept getting horrible quaility - at least this way, I won't freak if the hair tangles or falls apart!

HAPPY ST.PADDY'S DAY

CHEERS

Octavia

Faces of Pain - One woman's Journey with Chronic Pain
www.octavaia@got-to-have-art.com
A world without ART is a world without color
GOT ART???
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 10:43pm
Octavia, you've mixed up Dome and Prostyles.  Prostyles cannot be purchased in the US without a license, but our friends across the pond can buy it.  You can buy Dome, but it's expensive, significanly more than PH.  Since the verdict seems to be that Dome and PH are very similar, I'd go with PH. 

Syren sent me some Trimco...it seems basically the same as PH, but it only comes in straight and a shorter length.

Is WaWa better?  I think it depends on what you're looking for.  Do you often heat-style with an iron?  What color/length/texture do you need?  Do you want weft or bulk hair?  Thermofiber and monofiber are both good quality...it just depends on what you are looking for.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 1:06am

Ditto everything Leia said. I wish I could compare the therm to the mono, but I've only worn the mono, so....

:)

Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 1:34am
Girls, I am going on the prostyles course in April, so if anyone
wants to try the prostyle hair I can get it for you. I will get a color
ring and post all the colors so you can compare it to the other
synth options out there.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 5:02am

Excellent, SAS.

By the way, do you how many textures Prostyles comes in? I believe they have a "Natural" texture, but I don't know what else they offer. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 5:18am
Jenny~ I actually have no clue what hair they have yet. I will
make a phone call in the morning and ask what hair they have
and try and get some info of what lengths, texture...etc. I'll post
the info.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 5:23am
Yippiee!!! Thanks again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:34pm
Jenny~ sorry Hun, I called prostyles at just after 3p.m and they
had already closed for the day. Forgot they were on Eastern
time. I will have to wait till Monday now. I wish Boogiemama
would stop by and fill us in on what they offer. Did, she post this
maybe on a thread already?
I will definitely make sure I call earlier on Monday morning.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic