Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how do you get a web address? ie. .com /

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do you get a web address? ie. .com /
    Posted: March 18 2005 at 7:33am
Hi can anyone recommend where to start your own web site,  it web space and a web address?
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 8:17am
Shel~ You want to pick your name for your site then you have
to go to a domain registrar and pay them for the name you want
to use, if it's not taken. You can pay for 1 year , 2 , or 5 years to
own the .com name. Then you have go and set up web hosting
for your site, which is normally set up in a 3 month, 1, or 2 year
payment plan. You can do these separately at any of these
links here………

Domain Names
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-
8859-1&q=domain+names

Web Hosting
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=
ISO-8859-1&q=web+hosting&btnG=Search

OR

You can go to some web hosting companies that will register
your domain name for free when you sign up with them. Just
make sure the domain name is getting registered in your own
name and not their company name, because if you leave to go
with another company down the line, they can still own your
domain name. So just make sure the domain name is
registered to you when you sign up with a web hosting
company that offers free domain names.

I went with http://
www.startlogic.com/index2.html

where I got my free domain name and web hosting package.
There are many companies to go with. You may want to look
into the most popular companies here
http://www.hosting-review.com/top-10.htm

Shop around and find what is best for you!!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SITE!!

Edited by Save~A~Stray
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:36am
Save a Stray, do you have a site I can check out?
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 11:40am

Yeah,SAS what's your URL?

I had a local company make my website for me and they host it as well.  All I did was give them the text and pictures and a basic idea for the design, and they did the whole thing for me, including registering the domain name.

My website is www.MetamorphosisHairDesign.com

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 11:42am

Thanks SAS.  Do they charge alot after the first term? Do you have one?

x

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 11:47am

Hi metalgirl, you web page is fab! is it expensive? Is there anyone / anywhere where you can buy a web name and keep it rather than having to constantly pay?

Also your extensions are really good.  What hair do you use?

shel

x

Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 12:27pm
Hey Metalgirl.  Your site is wicked.  I love the colours.  Your hair is awesome and do you have a beautiful smile or what girl.  What are you wearing in your hair at present xx
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 1:12pm

Metalgirl, I remember visiting your site a long, long time ago when I once did a search on extensions.  Your pictures in your gallary are beautiful!  Very natural and sofisticated looking.   In the first picture with the AA girl, did you do shrinklinks on her?  I am wondering how shrinkies would hold up on AA hair.  Thanks for sharing!  and keep up your great work girl!! 

Edited by Bridget
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 3:21pm
i make my websited though seanic.net. its about $50 a year for everything and you can pay for more than one year at a time if you want
i love plastikhaar
Jeffrey Hines View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffrey Hines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 3:27pm

Go Daddy is a great service and inexpensive.

Jeffrey Hines
HairBoutique.com
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 3:51pm

Metalgirl,

Your site's awesome. I've seen it site before actually, but I don't think I knew who you were at the time.

Great before-and-afters!

:)

Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:26pm
Shel~ I paid about $73 for the first year, then it's an extra $15
more per year to keep the domain name.
You could find something cheaper. You just have to shop
around a little.

Girls.....my website is not up yet, thought it was kinda pointless
until I get my license renewed for CA. I only have the coming
soon page finished but not loaded yet. I need to get new pics
and still deciding what direction to go with it. Not sure if I will
still go with my shoppie or not?? Can't decide....I'm looking into
all sort's of things......just up in the air right now. I'll let you know
when I have it ready to load.
Although the way it looks with state board, it could be the end of
the year before I get an exam now, If I have to go back to school
for 4 months and then wait 3 months for a test date!! Who
knows!!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:39pm
My site is http://
www.creeksidesoap.com
- I use Front Page and
do all the design, photos and layout myself.

I registered with Go Daddy for about $10 a year and my hosting company
is Hosting Matters @ $11 per month.

If you need help, give me a shout.

Edited by amm
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 11:44pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the very nice compliments on the site.  I am happy with the site.  When I originally had the site done, the agreement was for a homepage and 5 additional pages, and for that I paid $600 for the complete design, domain name, hosting, etc.  I now pay them $150 per year for the hosting, which includes any small changes I want to make.  If I want to make larger changes (like changing a lot of text) they usually charge me about $30-$50.

Most of  the girls in the gallery have shrink link extensions,  and a few of them have the Ultratress seamless wefts.  That last picture is one I got from  Ultratess , so all but the bottom picture is my work.  (The Ultratress people are ok with me using that pic)

The african american lady has shrink links.  She relaxes her hair.  For her hair and all the others (except the Ultratress girls) I get the hair from Extensions Plus.  The Ultratress product is from the hair piece company called Onrite/Gemtress.

RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 12:21am
Hey all! I have been reading but not posting. I like the new digs.

I use godaddy.com and Ive never had a problem. Cheap, too.

I am a web designer by trade -or- thats what I went to school for. These days I am in midwifery school and do postpartum doula work.

I still do freelance web design though.

If anyone has website questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 9:05am

Roserose is there anywhere when i can build a good webpage with unlimited pages without all the html code as this is what loses me.  I can get as far as to build 2 pages but when it comes to tables and cells i get completely lost.  ay advice on this?

x

maliburum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maliburum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 1:45pm

I have a web page (not for hair) but I paid $4.95/month for the hosting  and $12.95 for the domain name.  I'm not sure if they are the best, but they were cheap for what I wanted to do  you can check them out.  It totals to $72.35 for the year. 

lowesthosing.com

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:58pm
Did you have to write all your own html programs or was there a package icluded that done al that for you?  Its the html that throws me
maliburum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maliburum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 7:02am

OK I'm not all that great with the technical stuff but I'll try.  I got a WYSIWYG online program you just upload pictures and type what you want and done. This is free from them, but it is really basic and you get to pick from 20 different layouts with is just plain.  I wouldn't recommend their program for something professional.  WYSIWYG(what you see is what you get)

I don't have a program to design my own website, which I guess is html.  If you want to design a website yourself or get a web site designer then you would just upload your site onto their server for hosting.

I'm not sure if I am explaining it correctly.  Maybe RoseRose can jump in and tell  you more. 

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:05pm
I think i might have it sussed...watch this space ladys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic