Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help needed, Urgent

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Namika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Namika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help needed, Urgent
    Posted: March 18 2005 at 1:34pm

I am a type 4a hair. I use soft and beautiful relaxer (regular). My hair is weak and has split ends. I relax it about every 2 to 3 months. Once I wanted to color my hair so I went to a saloon and the hair dresses told me that my hair can't be colored because its too weak so she gave me Kerastase fortifying shampoo for weakend hair, and Kerastase age recharge firming gel-masque, Kerastase Fortifying treatment for weakend hair conditioner and Kerastase smoothing controlling care dry and rebellious hair which I have been using for about 13 months now. However my hair is dull and has no flow. Its below shoulder length.

I am getting married end of this year and I want my hair to look good all the time.

What I need is:

* Hair Growth Treatment

* A better and more safe hair relaxer

* Anti breakage treatment

* Something to treat split ends

* Learning how to style my hair at home

cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 3:55pm
Just get your ends trimmed regularly, and try to not use too much heat. A good moisturizer on your ends should help with the split ends too. Try to keep your hair in a style where you won't mess with it too much, and just keep it moisturized.

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 9:01pm

Namika - welcome aboard -- It seems as if the Kerastase products have been a great benefit to your hair. Congrats on your pending nuptuals.

* Hair Growth Treatment - not really able to recommend one -- I purchased Surge a while ago, but I am afraid to try it given the horror stories of some.

* A better and more safe hair relaxer - I have used mild lye relaxers in the past, I have just recently order Phytorelaxer and I plan to try that next.  According to many, it has given good results.  I don't plan on relaxing my hair for at least another

* Anti breakage treatment - Salerm 21/Lacio Lacio (these are leave in treatments and I credit them with less breakage in my hair) -- also garnier fructis has a line called long and strong and it is supposed to have anti breakage properties --

* Something to treat split ends - less heat and less manipulation helps with breakage; garnier fructis above includes a split end/anti breakage cream ( I haven't tried this yet) -- I really like Biosilk therapy

* Learning how to style my hair at home - This comes with practice, practice, practice.  Joining this forum is a good start.

But really it seems to me that the stylist who recommeded the Kerastase products really gave good advise since using what she suggested has helped you I might ask his/her advise as well. HTH

"And this too shall pass."
Namika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Namika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 9:25pm

Thanks cebnn and vickyd for the reply..

I just wanted to point out that I don't blow dry or use any heat on my hair unless for occasions which is about 3 to 4 times a year. And I try as much as I can to stay away for the heat. I do trim my ends but not regularly like the last time I trimed it was in Noverbmer, so how often should I do it?

Even with using Kerstase I still feel that my hair needs more. As I feel that its still weak.  Will try some of the products you have mentioned and check for more in this forum.

I thought of using Doo Gro products or maybe Keracare as I have heard a lot about these two and read about them in magazines. What do you think?

And I need to know how to get the best natural look curls and how to get the wet look :) thanks again...

if needed I could post a pic of my hair so you would see the results of my hard work until this day.. 

Edited by Namika
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:25pm

in the summer I love using John Frieda Frizzease Relax Ripple Effect.  I get great little curls. I will try to find a pic.

I also use a mild lye relaxer, and apohogee reconstructer afterwards, and every two weeks for conditioning.  I use alot of Elasta Qp products, including there Intense Fortifying hair Conditioner, and their mango butter for my ends. Lately I've been washing, conditioning, or just doing conditioner washes. Then air drying my hair with nothing but Gensing Miracle Wonder 8 Oil in my hair It is so soft, and shiny when I flat iron.

Edited by cebnn

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 11:08pm

Well, i am natural.

i would reccommend shampooing, then deep conditioning weekly with cholesterol or Lamaur's Bone Marrow.

I reccommend moisutrizing daily with essential oils or hair butters. i alternate between shapley's mtg(an oil hair conditioner) and shealoe butter. I also apply a plastic conditioning cap over my head and sleep with the moisturizer in my hair.

i do daily condtioner washes as well. Drink at least 64 fluid oz of water daily. Take a multi-vitamin, hair, skin and nails vitamin, biotin, msm and evening primrose oil.

Use as little heat as possible.

That's about it.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Namika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Namika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 5:33am

thank you for your suggestions

the thing is, I never did my hair by my self ever .. most of the time it is tied as a bun using a scrunchie because I wear a head cover (scraf)... since I will be getting married, I don't want my husband to see me in a bun every day, that would be really boring .

I am looking for hair stayles that are really easy to do like wet curls, I tried to do them once but they never turned out nice AT ALL ... I am not looking for professional styles only simple ones, like how to wear my hair straight and stuff.

I don't know a thing regarding hair, terms like flexi rods and wave rods, curl activator just makes me dizzy

vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 5:47pm

Namika

I learned alot by reading different hair boards.  Below is a link for a person who gives a great deal of detail when she descibes how to do a particular method, eg. baggie technique and bantu knots.  Maybe this can serve as start for you.  HTH

http://public.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/

"And this too shall pass."
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 8:09pm

*NAMIKA,

You've come to the right place!! You'll get tons of good info here!!

* Hair Growth Treatment~It sounds like you may need not only protien, but also good conditioning. What helped me (Because I was in your situation 2 years ago) was Organics Hair Mayo. It's light protein and conditioning in one. My hair always felt stronger and more moisturized when I use it. Start drinking more water. It's amazing what water can do. You'll notice your skin and your hair will look tons better. Use a satin pillow case and keep your hair protected as you sleep. You may need to moisturize your hair several times a day. Maybe a multivitamin can help supply your hair with what it may be missing in your diet.

* A better and more safe hair relaxer~I use Creme of Nature Mild Lye Relaxer. It is very gentle on my hair and I do not have alot of shedding. Make sure you are not over processing your hair. I relax mine every 10 weeks or 12 weeks if I can stretch it. But I make sure to keep it well moisturized. ALot of others on this board likes Phytolaxer. I've never used it but as far as I know it's never gotten bad reviews. Its pricey though. (But for your wedding, it may be worth it!)

* Anti breakage treatment~The satin pillow case will help as you sleep. Make sure not to overlap when getting a touch-up. A good protein conditioner or treatment is good too. (Henna n' Placenta also works well for this.) Make sure to keep hair moisturized. That way it does not dry out and become brittle and break. I hardly use a comb now unless it's widetooth and I comb from ends to roots.Carrot oil is also very good to use. I use carrot oil and creme combined as a moisturizer and I loose maybe 10 strands a day. (I'm also 4a)

* Something to treat split ends~The Baggie Method!!! I tell everyone about this because it has worked very well for me. First, I would get a trim so you are starting with fresh ends. Then, at night saturate your ends in your favorite hair butter or creme and oil. (For me its Carrot Creme and oil) Next, put your hair in a bun with a satin hair band and put a little plastic sandwich baggie around it before putting on your night cap. In the morning you'll have lovely ends that feel more moisturized. You'll notice that it will help retain some length as well.

* Learning how to style my hair at home~Once I learned to care for my hair better, the styling came alittle easier. I'm still in the learning process though.

I hope this helped. This site definitely helped me and my hair is thanking me for it. If you're interested, you can join the Hair Growth Challenge 2005 on this board. It helps to have a buddy system in all this. If you want to, it's posted on the top of this boards page. We'd love to have ya!

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Namika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Namika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:18am

Thank you all for helping me out. Sorry for the late reply as I got busy and did not get the chance to check the forum. At first I got confused by the things you were all telling me about. But I did search for the mintioned product online and I think I know what to start with now

The problem is I need to get most of the products online cuz they dont sell them over here. And it might take time till I get the required products so for now might start with using Motions.. is that ok?

As for the Hair Growth challenge will think about it  and will check out the thread.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:25am

Where are u located? @ Namika

Motions sound good, I loved the lavishing conditioner shampoo and the cpr treatment conditioner. It did wonders for my hair.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:28am

Hi Namika,

Honeydoo and everyone who posts regularly on this thread is awesome.  They have so much wisdom about their hair as well as being generous to offer so many great recommendations for others.  Honeydoo is so right, getting support from others helps so very much and she is so right about coming back to the boards and posting questions, or even if you just need encouragement.  Hang in there and come back often.

Best wishes,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 10:39am
Hey Namika, Motions is a good product. I use the Leave-In detangler once in a while and CPR now and then. You're doing good by trying one thing at a time. You might find that it works great for your hair. I know Walgreens has that line now and most beauty suppliers, but you can also find it online. I don't have a website but I'm sure someone here does. Hang in there and keep us updated.
Namika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Namika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 1:13pm

cmesweet, I am from middle east... and the only thing we have over here is Motions products not even all of them but some and dark and lovely products.

Karen, thank you so much for your encouragment

Honeydoo, thanks to you too...

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:28pm
Your Welcome!!
Namika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Namika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 12:44am

yesterday I washed my hair and here is what I did:

First I washed my hair using conditioner.

Then washed it with a Kerastase Shampoo.

Applied conditioner and left it for about 10 min then rainsed it off.

Then I towl dried my hair then applied deep conditioner and stayed under the drier for about 10 minutes.

After that I washed it applied live in condiotioner, Kerastase smoothing controlling care dry and rebellious and sunsilk moisturizer.

I devided the hair into 8 sections and made bunto knots and then stayed under the drier for about an hour using cool air.

I didn't get the results I was looking for but at least my hair feels soft and I am kind of satisfied of what I got

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 10:13am
Great Namika, as time goes on your hair will feel better and better. Being at this site is great because you learn alot your hair and waht works. Of course, we all have our trial and errors, but through them we learn what really helps us. I'm glad your seeing some results. keep us posted.
Namika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Namika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 10:36pm

I tried to order some products online like kera care, doo gro but they can't be delivered to where I live. So this weekend will go and get Motions products and will see how it goes..

I have few questions about rods. I keep reading this word in this forum and another forum as well. What are they and where to get them from and are there many types? and do they work best with wet or dry hair?

missfro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missfro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 5:17am

Fleix rods you could get them online

straw set , just buy your regular drinking straws although i am not aware how to use them.. i just don't get it

perm rods i saw thme in this site , i don't remember what it was but i will search it for you ..

good luck

Hair type: 4a or 3C<--transitioning
Hair length: 20"
goal:relaxer free healthy hair
Last relaxer: Sept 05
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic