Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will wash out color stain bleached hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
angeline33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angeline33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will wash out color stain bleached hair?
    Posted: March 19 2005 at 6:50pm

It always amazes me how much everyone on this forum knows about hair coloring, so much more than I do. 

My hair is naturally dark brown and I dye it blond, but lately I am finding it too blond so, I wanted to see what it would be like slightly darker (not too dark) like a very light brown. 

My question is: if I were to put one of those hair dyes that wash out after so many shampoos  in a light brown will it actually be light brown and wash out like it's suppose to or will it stain my dyed hair and turn it red, green or some other horrible color?

Thanks!

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 7:57pm
If you're only going from blonde to light brown and you pick a neutral or golden light brown, you should be okay.  However, do a strand test first, just in case.

Also, on processed hair (is yours just dyed blonde or is it double-processed?) a semi-permanent often lasts longer than advertised or in some cases doesn't wash out at all.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 8:46pm
When you say "washout" color - do you mean Loving Care? My daughter used that on her bleached hair when she was in high school, and got some really weird results. If you read the instructions, it says it's not for use on previously lightened hair. They mean it, really.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2005 at 12:23am
Bleached hair is more porous and damaged, so it holds on to temporary dyes better than virgin hair.  It's also very pale, so the dyes might show up very brightly.  Both of those are reasons why it's recommended to pre-lighten before using Manic Panic or the like.  More natural dyes, I'm not quite as sure of the results on, but I imagine they would be harder to wash out, as well.
More awesome than a manatee!
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:05am
In that case, if you really want brown, mix two manic shades or green and red together to get brown...JUST KIDDING! hehe, no way do NOT try that lol!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic