Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Advice for Our Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Advice for Our Newbies
    Posted: March 22 2005 at 11:34am

I thought it would be nice to have a thread for all the new members that come here in search for hair tips. We can pass on the hair advice we received that has helped us achieve (and to continue to achieve) healthier hair.

My learning process was slow, but once I saw results, I was hooked and thristy to learn more. My hair benefitted from it. First, let me tell you what my hair was like, BEFORE I began taking good care of it:

As a child my hair was always healthy and shiny and even through high school, even though I used 'grease' on my scalp, washed my hair every two weeks, and never really moisturized it. (I thought moisture was oiling my hair) But I started to hot comb it when it was relaxed and curl it on occasion. The salons I went to were not very informative on hair care and just went when my hair began to look bad only to repeat the same destructive process. Then two years ago it was starting to feel like straw and coming out in clumps. (If you could have seen pictures, you would cry for me.) Then I decided to do some research and take care of my hair better. I had to make the brave decision to cut my hair even. I went to the salon and balled like a baby because my hair was sooo damaged it had to be cut up to 1 inch in the back and up to my ear in the front so I had a bob. I had never had my hair shorter than shoulder length so it was quite a shock. But this hair dresser helped me out alot and gave me good info to start with. I got alot of compliments about the cut too. So this is the hair advice I live on now:

1. I try to avoid products with mineral oil and petroleum. If I can't fully avoid it, Ill find a product that has this as one of the last ingredients.

2. I keep my ends protected at all times. When I do wear my hair out, I make sure I'm wearing a hair friendly top and I keep it well moisturized.

3. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!! Different from hair oil and mandatory for healthy hair. I moisturize my hair a couple times a day.

4. No Hot Comb on relaxed hair. A big NO NO!! I learned this the hard way. (My mom still does it!)

5. Make sure to use protein in your hair once in a while. While moisture is good, you also need to strengthen your hair. A good protein treatment or protein conditioner is good to use once a month or every 2 weeks. (Some use it more but remember to use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards. Protein has the tendency to make your hair hard.)

6. Drink more water, less of the sweet stuff. I never was a soda drinker (or 'pop'depending on where you are from), but water is tons better for not only your hair but your whole body. Adding more fresh fruits and veggies helps too, not too mention beans, eggs, and whole grains.

7. Exercise. It gets the blood circulating all over. And you might as well look as good as your hair!!

8. Trim your hair on a as-needed basis. Some trim every 8 weeks like clockwork, but if my ends are still in tact, I keep them protected and hold off until they do need them.

9.Less heat, more washing. I've found that if I rollerset my hair and sit under a dryer, I have less breakage. But if you can avoid heat all together your hair will thank you for it. I also wash 2 times a week now and my scalp feels alot better.

10. Comb from the ends to the roots for less breakage.

These are a few tips that were passed on to me when I first started getting my hair together. I hope it helps all of you the way it has helped me. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to share all of this with everyone. Happy Hair!!!

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
diamondprincess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondprincess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 11:53am
I would like to add:

**Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner.
**Cover your hair with a silk or satin bonnet/scarf at night.
A good leave-in is always good.
**Scalp massage to get the blood flowing.
**Find a good regimen and stick to it.

DiamondPrincess   

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 8:20am

Ok when I was younger a stylist burned my hair with a hotcomb, it had to get cut.  My mom hot combed my hair so much that it started to break off and turn read at the ends, my ends were split almost up to my roots. I didn't know how to take care of my natural hair (in highschool at this time) So i went and got a hair cut, an angled bob and a perm.  I changed to like 5 different stylists and eventually I learned how to do my own hair.  I started wearing buns and keeping my hair moisturized, and lots of braids and ponytails. I would only go to the hair dresser for special styles, but she never made them look like the book so I started doing that too.

When I got to college, hard water made my hair break off what was once down my back was now at my shoulders. It took me a year to find a shampoo and conditioner that made my hair feel great.  I contineud to wear cornrows every week and a half or pontytails because my hair grew:), didn't use heat, sometimes i wet my hair and scrunched it....

College, I tried to transition before but I did not have the support. I would get a perm once every 6 months and trim at least 1 time a month. I decided 2 years later from the last transition that I will transition again, I didn't like the history our people went thru with the relax and so I started growing it out. After 4 months of working with 2 textures I just cut it off. I had about 2 inches but ended up with 1 cause I had to cut the scab hair. I have now been natural for 10 months, I have to deal with negative people cause they can't see the beauty in everyone especially their own people, but that is THEIR PROBLEM NOT MINE. My friends really are supportive, my sister say sly remarks, but o well.

I learned...

*eat right and your body through healthy hair and skin will show it.

* Less heat is better for the hair, especially direct heat.

*comb from ends to roots

* comb when wet, newgrowth or natural hair.  (I always combed my relaxed hair only when wet and styled when wet too).

*try to stay away from clothes that clings to hair, especially velcro or snap ons, other attachmes aren't good.

*some of the best products are right in your kitchen!

* Be happy with what you have now, you can be your own support system.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Namika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Namika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 1:30pm
These are very good information and advices.. keep them coming everyone.. we need to learn more from all of you
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 5:26pm

* Be happy with what you have now, you can be your own support system.

Thats a very good point Cmesweet. I know what you mean by getting remarks about your hair. I haven't been natural since I was little but I've always admired those who did have natural hair. I wish some people would see the beauty in all types. (We need to put an end to the term 'good hair' in A-A societies because I think it really puts a negative label to hair that isn't straight, shiny, and bouncy. All hair is good. it's a part of us.)
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 8:27pm

I guess i should add, at the time i got my angel bob cut with a relaxer, i had all kind of people upset with me. People at church that had never spoken to me my whole life saying crap.  But we have to remember at the end it was my hair, just like it is YOUR hair. Only u know your hair most and i rather cut it to let it grow back healthy than to try to hold on to unhealthy hair, that was asking to get off my head.

Point of the story, its about making yourself happy, your hair is yours, you own it, u can't please everyone. So you  have to back yourself up.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

vickyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 9:03pm
Great info everybody -- actually some of this advice is not just good for loving our hair and the various forms it comes in, but also loving ourselves.
"And this too shall pass."
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 9:38pm

Find a good shampoo, a good conditioner, a good deep conditioner, a good leave-in and a good moisturizer(find out whether you hair likes oil or butters).

Shampoo and Deep Condition Weekly.

Condition washes are great for naturals.

Baggie Method- I moisturize at nite and put the thin, plastic cap over my entire head. You can also put a baggie over your ponytail and then cover it with a phony pony or phony bun.

Drink lots of water and take vitamins at least a good hair, skin and nails one as well as a good multivitamin at a minimum.

I only use heat when i deep condition.

that's about it- hope this helps someone out.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 10:52am

Here's a few things I learned from a book called  The Black Woman's Guide to Beautiful Hair.

Shampooing:

Start by rinsing your scalp, making small openings or parts in your hair, so the water can rinse through. Focus on the crown, nape, behind your ears, and your hairline. Never dump shampoo onto your head. Instead pour it into your hands, and rub them together, spreading the shampoo down your fingers. Make small parts and openings in your hair and apply the shampoo to your scalp. Then slide or rubb your fingers through the hair alloiwing the shampoo to move tward the strand ends. Never massage on top of your hair, slide your fingers from under your hair directly on your scalp. This will prevent matting, tangles, and damage to the hair shaft. Use the pads of your fingers to massage your scalp

Conditioning: 

Towl-dry your hair before applying conditioner, to allow the conditioner to attact to the hair surface.  Make openings and parts in your hair, then apply conditioner with your fingers so that you can place the conditioner on the hair closest to your scalp. Next, apply the conditioner to the ends of your hair. Then apply to the entire strand. If the hair has tangles, apply extra conditioner directly to the tangled areas, then use your forfinger and thumb to massage the tangles away. Do Not Comb conditioner through, this will cause too much strain on your strangs. Allow the conditioner to work first.  Depenging on the condition of your hair, you can now rinse the conditioner out throughlt, or deep condition.

Deep Conditioning:

In order to have true deep reconditioning of damaged strands you must have maximum penetration of your conditiooner into the cuticle layers of your hair strands. To achieve this it is recommended that you use a deep penetrating, protein-and-moisture rich conditioner in order to stabilize the hair strands.  Use the conditioning method above, instead of rinsing cover your head in a thin plastic cap (i think seran wrap works just as good) and sit under a warm dryer for fifteen minutes (set the dryer to medium). Come out from the dryer, remove the plastic cap, and carefully apply more conditioner to the hairline, the ends, and to any short, weak spots as well as any weak or thinning areas. Cover with the cap as before and sit back under the dryer for ten more minutes. Come out and again apply the conditoner to any weak spots (hairline, thinning spots ect.) Cover with the cap and sit back under the dryer for another 10 minutes. For a total of 35 minutes. Finally rinse your hair in lukewarm water for ateleast sixty seconds.

Leave in Conditioner:

A leave-in will add elasticity to your strands  by placing a positive buildup on the hairshaft. After you rinse the conditioner, towl-blott in a squeezing motion to remoce excess water. Spray on the leave-in taking care to get inside any new-growth and the hairclosest to the scalp and the ends. If there are any tangles use your thumb and forefinger to massage the leave in directly into the tangled area. Next, finger comb through your hair. Do Not comb before tangles are removed, and comb from the bottom up.

Thers is so much more information in this book. but I thought I would just share this stuff.

Edited by cebnn

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
Passionsb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passionsb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 5:04pm

Hey you guys. I am new to this site. I have been searching for a good place to purchase wigs via the internet if possible. I have had microbraids in my hair for approximately 8 months now, and I am ready to take them out. I need something to do with my hair post-braids though. I am wanting to wear some stylish, cute wigs. I have been unsuccessful in my quest. I am only 24, and want a younger-person's wig. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful tips for me. They will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IndigoRed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndigoRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 9:52pm
Hey Ladies - You all give such good advice.Thx .  

Conditioning my hair during my shower also helped me. Before I go in the shower I would put a moisturizer on my hair paying special attention to the ends and hairline. My shower cap acts like a heating cap because of the steam from the shower. I found this to be a quick and easy way of getting a little extra from my moisturizer.

Edited by IndigoRed
FiestyFem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiestyFem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 5:06pm

Hi guys

I'm new here,I just joined today,and I'm so glad I did because I'm on a mission!My hair is shoulder length right now,but sometime in the near future,I'd like to have thick,long bra-strap length hair,or maybe longer.But there are many factors that have contributed to my length.I recently got it cut(which has been the 4th time I've had it chopped off since 7th grade.I'm a highschool junior.)Anywho,the reason for this length I think is because of inconsistency.

All throughout elementary school,my mother used heat on my tresses EVERYDAY.There was not a morning that passed when she didn't do it.The ironic thing about it is that she went to school for cosmetology,so I thought she knew better,obviously not.But then when I entered middle school,my hair started to improve,grow,thicker and thicker.This was a result of me getting my hair done at a popular salon in a near mall.My hair was beautiful!I had no complaints.Then upon entering junior high,I had to get it cut,and I threw a fit!But then I had to realize that after all the stress my hair had went through,that was the smartest thing to do.My hair was once again,healthy.Then I enter highschool in the 9th grade,and I had to get it cut again!Same process.Now I'm in the 11th grade,and I recently had my hair cut,and through this process my mother really angered me!She had relaxed my hair,then instead of using a WIDE tooth comb,she used a small one,and combed from the top to the bottom which is a no no!My hair had grown so much,and then I look at this comb,and there were just clumps of hair.I wanted to .All of this occured because of lack of knowledge.Not trimming consistently when my hair needs it,not washing it when it needed to be washed,and using the wrong products for my hair all contributed to my damaged crown and glory.

Some tips that I've learned are:

Love your hair,be patient,and try not to be rough with it.

Drink plenty of water!Drink it until you get sick of it.I know this is annoying but eventually your hair will thank you.

Moisture,Moisture,and more Moisture.As women of color,our hair tends to be drier,so using the correct poos/conditioners will definitely benefit the hair.

NEVER clog your precious pores up with grease,oil,or any other pomades.

Use wide tooth combs instead of the small tooth ones,and NEVER brush hair while it's wet.

Comb from the bottom up.

Never sleep without a satin/silk pillow case or scarf.

And most importantly TRIM!I don't care how long your hair is.Eventually your hair will just split up the hair shaft and you'll be back to round one.

Vitamins don't hurt either!(Biotin,Flaxseed,B-complex etc.)

Sorry this was so long

Piece of mind creates Peace of Mind which is a Peace of mine which is a Piece of mine.-Me©

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 5:28pm

Welcome FeistyFem!!

You sure did go through some hair changes!! You have some very good tips too. I hope you enjoy your stay here!!

FiestyFem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiestyFem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 8:41am
Thanks HoneyDoo
Piece of mind creates Peace of Mind which is a Peace of mine which is a Piece of mine.-Me©

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 11:27am
Welcome to the forum Fiesty...good that you have advice for
others.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

FiestyFem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiestyFem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 4:26pm
 Hi cmesweet!!!

Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 12:38am
Try the search feature on this board if you are looking for information on a specific word, phrase or item.  It may well have been discussed in the past.
-Happy Hair Days
Kim
angeleyeslady View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angeleyeslady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 12:15pm
thanks for that Kim, I didn't know about the search feature, I am a newby, cheers
AngelEyes supports SIGHTSAVERS CHARITY
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 2:20pm
welcome angeleyeslady and fiesty fem.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Jewell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 2:26pm

-silk/satin scarf or pillowcase for bed...cotton sucks the moisture from hair

-if you must use heat, use it in the lowest setting possible to straighten hair, and use heat spraringly

-avoid hair styles that pull at the hair to avoid thinning

-when using protein treatments/conditioners, its good to follow with a moisturizing conditioner to keep the hair from becoming brittle from too much protein

-trim as needed (I no longer believe in trimming every 8 weeks, because I was trimming off all my new growth, and I didn't have any split ends)!

-moisturize as much as possible to protect the hair from the elements

Type: 3c, Relaxed
Current Length: Lower Back (Close to Waist)
Goal: Classic Length

http://public.fotki.com/Jewell21
PW: trulyblessed

-No Stylists.
-Self-Relaxer.
-Simple Hair Care.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic