Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Advice for Our Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Princess1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 11:42pm

Sorry if I sound like a ditz, but what exactly is a "protective hair style"?  Should I ever use rubberbands? They create breakage...right?

To whom much is given, much is expected.
www.fotki.com/princess121
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 11:05am
Hi Princess! No rubber bands at all! They are a big culprit to breakage. Protective styles are styles that you wear to keep your ends protected from the elements and rubbing on your clothes. Styles such as buns, up-do's, braids, bantu knots are all considered protective hair styles. Cmesweet may have a few website addresses where you can view a few.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Princess1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 1:33pm

Thank  you for answering so quickly!! I just have one quick question.. How can you wear a bun without using a rubberband? Do you need special hair toys?

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 9:13pm

No, actually I'm still working on mastering 'the bun' but what I know is good to use is an elastic band that is covered in satin or some similar fabric. I have also heard of girls saturating a cloth band in oil to minimize breakage. Maybe someone else on this board can offer alittle more guidance. Actually, if you pm sistaslick for her password, in her fotki she gives directions to making a bun and what supplies to use. Hope this helps.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 6:12pm
Here is a link that explains about protective hair styles http://www.growafrohairlong.com/styles.html
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 4:44pm

I am so grateful for this site...it offers so much help. I have a question about the order of things. do i moisterize after flat ironing, do i put oil after or before moisturizing?

Princess1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 10:45pm
Hey oskana,
i think you should moisterize after flat ironing, to replace the moisture you've lost when adding heat; otherwise, you will fry your hair! I would also put oil on after moisturizing with a water based moisturizer. That will seal the moisture in your hair.  You should use a heat protector before you flat iron though!  If you blow dry before flatironing, (ONLY IF YOURE IN A HURRY!! OTHERWISE< BIG NO NO!!) use a heat protector!!
Hope this helps! I'm no expert, but this makes sense to me...
QuietSweetie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuietSweetie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 4:22pm

Hello everyone! Im new here but i've been looking at this site for months. I remeber when i came across this site and I found it to be very informational. Expecially for me since im young (going to be a high school freshman in september )and not to keen on the world of hair since where I live most African-American girls have perms so I never knew what to do with my natural hair except braiding and holding it. Anyway, I was just wondering about some of the things that you say are big necessities like "trimming' and deep conditioning. Thank you in advance

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2005 at 1:05pm
Welcome to the site Quietsweetie and congrats on becoming a freshman. I hope you find everything you need here.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 3:22pm

Love ya'all!!

qwickstudy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwickstudy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2005 at 10:56am

Hey Everybody!!

I want to thank you all so much for all of this helpful and great information .  I am on a mission to get my hair back in great shape!!

Honeydoo....cmesweet....Princess1.....Sistaslick...Cookiesnk ream....please keep all this good information coming....LOL...bring it on because I am about shoulder length now......but I want my hair down my back (at least to my bra strap !)  It may take a year or so.....but I am in this for the long haul.

Thanks,

~qwick 

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 5:56pm
Welcome Qwick...we are here to help... get your grow on girl !
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2005 at 7:17pm
thanks princess1
smahone2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smahone2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2005 at 9:17am
What happens if you get conditioner on your scalp?  Can that be damaging?
savantrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savantrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 1:25pm
A regular conditioner on your scalp?  no, it shouldnt be damaging at all...
pinki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 12:36pm
HELLO ALL!! I KNOW THIS POST IS OLD, BUT I AM A NEWBIE AND I DIDNT WANT TO START A NEW POST TO ASK SUCH A STUPID QUESTION, HERE IT GOES: WHAT DOES WGO MEAN?? I AM LOST!!
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2005 at 4:23pm
It's not a stupid question- WGO=Wild growth hair oil - i have used it in the past and really liked it a lot- it made my hair really soft and manageable- it can be purchased at some Sally's beauty Supply stores and on-line.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2005 at 1:28pm

Okay, so silly newbie question...is it okay to wash your hair more than once a week? I've learned from reading around that shampoos can be bad for your hair (i don't really understand exactly why yet but i'm learning!) and lately, I've bought a lot of new products that I want to try out. I've been washing my hair about 2x week...one of these times is a "normal" wash, with regular amounts of shampoo and conditioner and the second time is either with no shampoo or with very little shampoo. I then let my hair airdry and then use my ceramic flat iron the next morning. Is this okay or should I cut back on my washings?

Thanks guys!

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2005 at 3:56pm
You can wash your hair as much as you want too. U don't have to use shampoo every single time, u can just run water or just conditioner (which u mentioned u did) through it. It's fine, wash all you want!
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2005 at 9:14am
I think washing 2x a week is fine but I'd try to limit the flat iron to 1x a week.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic