Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you consider ’long’?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you consider ’long’?
    Posted: March 22 2005 at 3:36pm
I was just thinking about all of the different stages your hair goes through when you grow it out and I wanted to know what you guys consider long. Do you think it should be measured by the length in inches or its length in contrast to the person wearing it?
~A
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 4:47pm

definitely its length in contrast to the person wearing it.  for example, my hair is about 20 inches long and falls about halfway between the middle of my back and my waist- it's pretty long, but i'm only five feet tall.  i have a friend who is about 5'10" and her hair is the same length in inches as mine, but only falls a few inches past her shoulders.  also, think of little girls whose hair falls down past their waist, but if you measure their hair it's only like 10 inches. 

so to me, body type is definitely more important in how long your hair is than simply its length in inches.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:02pm
Hi Goldielocks,

Katja makes a good point that the perceived length depends on the size of the person.

Assuming that you are talking about what length constitutes "long" for a given person, well, that is a subjective question.  What is long to some people might be "medium" or even short, to other people.  Most stylists sell the notion that long is just below the shoulders, but from the perspective of someone who has hair to their knees, how can just-below-shoulder-length be long?

P.S. to Katja - I'm guessing you've measured your hair from the crown of your head, to the ends.  Lots of people with long hair measure from the hairline of your forehead, over the top of your head, and down to the ends.  True, it results in a number which is longer than the longest strands on your head, but it provides a consistent and stable point from which to take measurements.  You could conceivably measure your hair at intervals (say, once per month), and determine how much growth you gained during the month, with a reasonable degree of precision.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:07pm
hmm... i never thought of doing that.  that might measuring it easier actually, thanks!
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 9:15pm

Definitely relative. And for those actively growing out their hair, it's never long ENOUGH..... :7D  That's hair anorexia for ya!

Anais, sufferer.

my LJ, 40 inches long
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 9:44pm
I agree Anais,  it is definitly relitive.  It does seem to never be long enough but I think we are  getting there.  The longer it gets the better I like it.

Happy growing ya'all
hope we all make great progress in 05

Gear Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gear Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 12:08am

I think if anything is above the chin it is short, if it is between the chin and shoulders it is medium.  If it is past the shoulders is long.  Once it passes BSL (or midback for the guys out there) I would say it is XL (extra long). 

Some one with a pixie cut, on the other hand, might consider hair hair that is down to the shoulders to be long.  Maybe some one with hair down to the floor things hair has to be down to their waist to be extra long.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 6:20am
Lots of people have hair down to their waist, so I think that's still just long. I think extra long is longer than classic.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 3:18pm

I agree...long is different to everyone.  I think BSL or longer is "long" personally.  But I know a lot of places I've gone to get my hair cut think shoulder-length is long...that's why I don't go often.

Also, Katherine, what's "classic"?  I've heard it mentioned before, but I don't know what that length is.

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 6:15pm
Hi Leia,

"Classic" length is the bottom of your bottom.  At the point where it meets your thighs. 
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 7:02am
"Constrast to the person" for me too.  I still don't feel longhaired, but the point where I noticed the ends of my hair were further from my chin than the length of my face - was where it first started to look "long" to me.  (But maybe that's just because of my long face).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 3:07pm

Ooh, my first post on the jazzed up site.  Long time no see guys!

I consider BSL+ to be long personally, but when I'm with friends I use past shoulders to describe "long" because to them that *is* long.  They think me and my classic length locks are insane/just plain ridiculous (n.b., these are my friends, and they do mean that affectionately )

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 5:30am

Long is certainly long in relation to the individual person. Here are my (arbitrary but based on how I interpret societal standards) rules of thumb:

Men: if hair covers the ears but is still shaped all around, and is above the collar in the back, it's still, I think medium length. If it gets much longer or is in a bob, that is about the begining of long. Midway between these standards would be "longish", and a mullet is difficult to classify. Sort of half-half.

Women: hair more or less just touching the shoulders "longish". Several inches down the shoulder is the begining of long (I'd say about the tip of the shoulder blades is very clearly so) but not very long.

So few people have hair down to their waist and it is already such a length that I would call that really long already, even elbow length would satisfy this.

GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 10:26pm
Thanks for all your replies everybody!   
I got a good average on what people thought and now I know where I stand next to you guys who know so much on all this long hair stuff.

~A   
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 11:50am
Good to see you back here, enfys!

Duke, how would you categorize my calf-length hair?

duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:50am

Dave, your hair is calf-length? DUDE

I would say ultra-long is the right category. You are going for the Guinness Book!

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 12:28pm

Welcome back enfys!

Duke...I could almost hear you saying....DUDE....it certainly gave me a good chuckle.

I often receive photos from photographers for review and they will mark them short, medium, long.  WHOA.  The long is often just to the shoulders and I am like rubbing my eyes going.  HUH?  To the outside anyone with hair below the middle of their back is consider to have VERY long hair.  It is pretty amusing what people w/out long hair lust considers the longer lengths. :-)

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 2:39pm

It also depends upon the person's history to me. If a short-haired woman grows it out, then I consider shoulder blades "long". If someone goes from waist-length to shoulder blades, I'd call it "medium". One lady cashier at a convenient store who had waist length hair with plenty of body did just this the day before Easter. She told me the hairdresser asked her if she was really sure, and she replied she had to get rid of "damage". Man, if her hair had "damage", everyone needs a haircut! But anyway, to me, this woman no longer has "long" hair. If other organs weren't holding it in place, my heart would have fallen to my toes!   Bob

Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:48am

What the salon industry considers long is different from what we'd consider long, that's for sure.  Now, among those of us with long hair, our definitions can even differ, too.

For me, long begins at about BSL location for women and men (if they wore 'em), which is slightly shorter than midback to my eyes.  Then, very long begins about tailbone/classic length, and super long begins about knee length.

As for which measuring system to use (body markers or measuring tape), both have value.  The former is easier to picture and provides natural goal lengths, while the latter provides a more technical system for charting growth rates and projecting goal achievements, as well as comparing lengths on different individuals for scientific purposes like calculating averages.  Body markers just can't be as accurate, because a 5' short-waisted person's hair will be noticably shorter than a 6' long-waisted person's hair, which actually will be much longer, while both are at the same body marker.  For myself, I've learned to provide the inches and immediately note where that falls on my frame, which provides the most complete answer, if someone asks (which they often do).

Jennifer Eve

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 2:52pm

Hey, you remember me!  Man, it's good to be back!

It's hard to be accurate.  I think that proportions and the individual's height is important to take into account.

Dave, two questions -

1.Do you have any idea how naughty a member I feel when I find out how much of your growth I've missed.

2.Ever had a "hair stuck in wellies" problem like the (hopefully) hypothetical "hair stuck in rear end crack" style problems lol?

Last time I was here you were only knee length.  Well done

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic