Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do you consider ’long’?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 3:26pm
That sounds good to me,  I am at 23 inches  and hope to be near 30 at the end of the year.  Elbow length is exactly what I want but it will need more than 30 to get there but it will be a great start.  How long do you want it?
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 3:20pm
measuring from my hairline, my hair is 30 and a bit inches long...would you guys count thant as long? (It reaches my elbows.)
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 6:20pm

Karen I know texture has a way of disguising the length. I am african American and I am natural. My hair grows up and out, it looks short but when i stretch it for the most part it is past my shoulders. This is only 10 months worth of growth. So my question is, since certain textures can be decieving and lets say it was to my waist (which it could be one day) how would u classify curly or extremely curly hair if someone was to give u a picture to put in the gallery by length?

I'm just going by your list of classification and was just wondering about that. Hope I'm not causing any problems in here.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

mysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 5:59pm
Thanks Karen and Dave, well I measured again the way they said on here and it is 23" , now to me this is Long...and gettin longer   I love the support on here it is fantastic and all the great tips.  I agree Karen to me your hair is loooooooooooong, but then when your growing it out it can never be long enuff, I say I want mid back but I know IF it will , I want it longer.  So thanks for the welcome and all the help!!!

Edited by mysty
Cindy

8 months to *Mid-Back*..give or take!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Again...it is all subjective. When I am talking to Dave Decker on the phone I feel like I have a crewcut because his hair is sooooo much longer than mine, he has been growing it longer AND he is taller.

You are too funny, Karen.  Your hair is NOT short!  It is not only long, it is very long! 

Welcome Mysty/Cindy!  I agree with Karen that "long" is a subjective term.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 2:03pm

Hi Mysty,

Welcome to HairTalk.

I often have to categorize the images in our galleries...so here is what I use as a general rule of thumb for defining hair lengths:

1.  No hair - bald
2.  Fuzz covering - fade or fuzz covering
3.  Hair that covers the head but generally above the ears - very short
4.  Hair from the ears to the chin - short hair
5.  Hair from chin to the top of the shoulders - medium length
6.  Hair from shoulders to the bra strap - bra strap length aka BSL
7.  Hair from BSL to the waist - waist length long hair
8.  Hair from Waist to the bottom of the derrierre - Classic length long hair.
9.  From derrierre to mid thigh - thigh length
10. From mid-thigh to knees - knee length
11. From knees to mid calf - calf length
12. From mid calf to ankles - ankle length
13.  From ankles to the floor - floorlength
14.  Floorlength + inches - floorlength plus

When it comes to what is considered long...it is all relative.  It is sort of like how high is up or how hot is hot? 

A lot depends on your height, your weight, your hair texture (curly and wavy hair will not stretch full length w/out help) and your attitude.

I remember when I was first growing out my hair I went to a long hair salon.  The woman making my appontment asked how long my hair was.  I proudly proclaimed that it was at the bottom of my bra clasp.  I was so excited.  She said...oh I can book you because we have time for a short hair at 11:00 am.  I almost cried.

But then I got to the salon and the walls were covered with women with floor length tresses.  Arggghhhhh.

I think when describing your own "long hair" you need to describe it how you feel comfortable.  My own hair is approximately 5" below my waist and would probably be considered "classic length" but sometimes I feel a light brush against the top of my thighs.  What a thrill.  But anyway, I usually say....x inches below my waist.  It feels the best way for me.

Again...it is all subjective. When I am talking to Dave Decker on the phone I feel like I have a crewcut because his hair is sooooo much longer than mine, he has been growing it longer AND he is taller. 

And then there is Lady Godiva (hey LG) who has awesome hair that is wayyyyyyyyyy longer than mine will probably ever be.  So to me, I have relatively short hair, but to everyone here at HB.com they talk about my super long hair.

Find your own comfort zone and chill out there.  :-)

Best wishes,
karen

Edited by Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
mysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 1:42pm
I am growing my hair out and it is now past my shoulders aboutalmost mid back, would that be considered long// I am 5'3"
Cindy

8 months to *Mid-Back*..give or take!
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 12:04pm

I get my "personal" classes of hair length from the general population and what I see there.  Given the vast magority of women have hair bra strap or shorter I'll start with that.  Bra Strap of longer, to me is REALLY long.  Bra Strap to 2 or 3 inches below shoulders is long. From there to mid neck is medium.  Mid neck to 2 to 4 inches long is short.  Pixie is very short.  Just my thoughts.

chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 8:30pm
Just wondering, does anyone on here not cut their hair for religious reasons?  Is there already a thread for that?

-Char
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 5:41pm
Hi Enfys,

(1) Please don't feel badly.  I don't have terribly much (quantity of) hair beyond the point where it was 3 years ago -- because the last 12-15 inches are quite thin.

What are you gonna do with your next 3 years' growth?  Keep it, and enjoy it? 

(2) Actually, I've never had that problem.  Somehow I've managed to avoid it.  But I do occasionally get hair in odd places.  Always pulling it out of the laundry, both after the washer and the dryer.  And it does tend to pile up on the floor in places - get the toes wrapped in it and I'll hear the occasional "snap" sound 'cause I'm stepping on the other end with the other foot.

Back to the topical question, I certainly don't consider shoulder-length or a bit below (on women) as being "long."  I consider that to be "medium."  To me, "short" is chin or shorter.  Long is at least mid-back, and super-long (to me, on others) is below waist-length.  Even that is biased toward shorter lengths.  Given the extent of my strands, and similar (but opposite) bias of the styling industry, I might consider my hair as super-long, knee-length as long, "classic" length as "medium," and waist-length or less as "short."  Pretty funny, right?  Goes to show you how ridiculous the styling industry's definitions are.

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 2:52pm

Hey, you remember me!  Man, it's good to be back!

It's hard to be accurate.  I think that proportions and the individual's height is important to take into account.

Dave, two questions -

1.Do you have any idea how naughty a member I feel when I find out how much of your growth I've missed.

2.Ever had a "hair stuck in wellies" problem like the (hopefully) hypothetical "hair stuck in rear end crack" style problems lol?

Last time I was here you were only knee length.  Well done

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:48am

What the salon industry considers long is different from what we'd consider long, that's for sure.  Now, among those of us with long hair, our definitions can even differ, too.

For me, long begins at about BSL location for women and men (if they wore 'em), which is slightly shorter than midback to my eyes.  Then, very long begins about tailbone/classic length, and super long begins about knee length.

As for which measuring system to use (body markers or measuring tape), both have value.  The former is easier to picture and provides natural goal lengths, while the latter provides a more technical system for charting growth rates and projecting goal achievements, as well as comparing lengths on different individuals for scientific purposes like calculating averages.  Body markers just can't be as accurate, because a 5' short-waisted person's hair will be noticably shorter than a 6' long-waisted person's hair, which actually will be much longer, while both are at the same body marker.  For myself, I've learned to provide the inches and immediately note where that falls on my frame, which provides the most complete answer, if someone asks (which they often do).

Jennifer Eve

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 2:39pm

It also depends upon the person's history to me. If a short-haired woman grows it out, then I consider shoulder blades "long". If someone goes from waist-length to shoulder blades, I'd call it "medium". One lady cashier at a convenient store who had waist length hair with plenty of body did just this the day before Easter. She told me the hairdresser asked her if she was really sure, and she replied she had to get rid of "damage". Man, if her hair had "damage", everyone needs a haircut! But anyway, to me, this woman no longer has "long" hair. If other organs weren't holding it in place, my heart would have fallen to my toes!   Bob

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 12:28pm

Welcome back enfys!

Duke...I could almost hear you saying....DUDE....it certainly gave me a good chuckle.

I often receive photos from photographers for review and they will mark them short, medium, long.  WHOA.  The long is often just to the shoulders and I am like rubbing my eyes going.  HUH?  To the outside anyone with hair below the middle of their back is consider to have VERY long hair.  It is pretty amusing what people w/out long hair lust considers the longer lengths. :-)

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:50am

Dave, your hair is calf-length? DUDE

I would say ultra-long is the right category. You are going for the Guinness Book!

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 11:50am
Good to see you back here, enfys!

Duke, how would you categorize my calf-length hair?

GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 10:26pm
Thanks for all your replies everybody!   
I got a good average on what people thought and now I know where I stand next to you guys who know so much on all this long hair stuff.

~A   
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 5:30am

Long is certainly long in relation to the individual person. Here are my (arbitrary but based on how I interpret societal standards) rules of thumb:

Men: if hair covers the ears but is still shaped all around, and is above the collar in the back, it's still, I think medium length. If it gets much longer or is in a bob, that is about the begining of long. Midway between these standards would be "longish", and a mullet is difficult to classify. Sort of half-half.

Women: hair more or less just touching the shoulders "longish". Several inches down the shoulder is the begining of long (I'd say about the tip of the shoulder blades is very clearly so) but not very long.

So few people have hair down to their waist and it is already such a length that I would call that really long already, even elbow length would satisfy this.

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 3:07pm

Ooh, my first post on the jazzed up site.  Long time no see guys!

I consider BSL+ to be long personally, but when I'm with friends I use past shoulders to describe "long" because to them that *is* long.  They think me and my classic length locks are insane/just plain ridiculous (n.b., these are my friends, and they do mean that affectionately )

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 7:02am
"Constrast to the person" for me too.  I still don't feel longhaired, but the point where I noticed the ends of my hair were further from my chin than the length of my face - was where it first started to look "long" to me.  (But maybe that's just because of my long face).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic