Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

FROM RELAXER TO NATURAL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DANNETTA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNETTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FROM RELAXER TO NATURAL
    Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:35pm

I HEARD A LONG TIME AGO THAT YOU COULD ACTUALLY "STRIP" A RELAXER FROM YOUR HAIR. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS AND HOW IT IS DONE. I AM REALLY THINKING ABOUT GOING BACK TO A NATURAL HAIRSTYLE...PLEASE HELP!!!!

Nubianqt86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nubianqt86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:19pm
I heard that too, but I asked my stylist (who specializes in natural hair and extra long lengths) she says it is just a myth. The only way to rid yourself of a relaxer is to grow it out, or chop it off.
Nubianqt86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nubianqt86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:20pm
I decided today that I would grow my relaxer out, so if you need support, you can write me.
kally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 7:26pm
It is a myth You have to grow it out.
"God makes no mistakes" he created you the way you are suppose to be.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 8:03am

U have to grow and trim on the way,  or just cut it off.

There are a few naturals here, Carameldiva and myself and I'm sure there are others. We are here to support everyone on the board and u can ask any questions you like.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 1:45pm
I agree with everyone, there is no way to strip a relaxer out.  Once the hair is relaxed it's permanent.  It will have to be cut off.  I grew mine out and it was very challenging.  You will probably experience a lot of shedding and breakage so stock up on your protein treatments!!  Be prepared to condition, condition, condition!  Any questions let me know.
zee9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zee9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 7:45pm
Oh, please someone help me. It's been about 12 weeks since my last
relaxer and my hair is already out of control. I have good products, I just
don't know how to style it. I don't want braids or locs. I just want healthy
natural hair. But I still have a lot of permed hair(about 12 inches). I'm
sooooo stressed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2005 at 10:23am
Zee9, the only way I got through my grow out period was to style my hair by flat ironing it because the difference in textures (natural and permed) is very stressful on the hair and causes breakage when combing.  By flat ironing it all out straight it causes less stress.  You're going to have to have a lot of patience but it's worth it in the end.  Make sure you are doing lots and lots of protein treatmens too, and condition well.  Find a good detangler also. Hask Placenta leave in treatment is excellent(found in Sally's).  Oh, and don't forget to keep your ends trimmed often.
zee9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zee9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 12:40am
Thank You Pokahontas! I was thinking about flat ironing, but I was afraid
I would do more damage and make it break with the heat. Plus since I've
stopped getting perms, my hair can still get really straight, but it doesn't
stay that way. As soon as I walk outside in the summer time it's a frizzed
mess. I even went out and got one of those expensive ceramic flat irons.
But I'm going to experiment with a few things. You've given me the
encouragement and hope I needed to not give up....cuz I was headed to
the salon(smile). I'm going to take your advice. So how do you wear your
hair now? Do you have locs?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 7:55am
I'm glad I could help and I know exactly how you feel.  My hair is very curly and long (3b, like Tracee Ellis Ross's hair).  Right now I wear it naturaly curly because the humidity curls and frizzes my hair up so it's really no point in me straightening it.  When it's not humid, which is most of the time where I live, I wear it straight (like Aaliyah wore her hair).  It stays straight pretty good even though I don't have a perm.  Flat ironing shouldn't damage it too much as long as you aren't using heat too often.  Just make sure to keep it trimmed and deep conditioned.  I wish you luck and if you need help let me know.  How do you wear your hair?
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 12:06pm

Also Zee9, you can do braid outs.  This worked wonders for my hair when I was transitioning or stretching out my perms.   I don't use heat on my hair.

Another good leave-in/Detangler is Black N' Sassy Carribean Creme or Joico K-Pak Leave-in (it's like a foam).

100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
zee9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zee9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 7:18pm
Thank You ladies! Right now I'm trying to find a way to wear my hair. I
was still trying to wear it in a wrap, but it's not working with this hot
humid weather. And I don't use a lot of heat on my hair(which is part of
the reason why it frizzes up so quick). So I'm going to be doing flat
twists and twists for the rest of the summer. I heard that will give my hair
a break and help it to grow faster. This is just a really crazy process
Last week I almost gave up, but from talking to you ladies and a few other
people, it seems that what I am feeling is a normal part of the process.
It's not so bad when you have people that understand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 11:20am
Yeah it is crazy but just keep doing research on your hair texture and learn to work with it and you will be okay. I agree with sugaplum on the braid outs, they are an option.  I didn't do them much because they only lasted me a day or two and I had to re-do. Also if you can find someone to give you a good wet set that is a great option for transitioning.  Flat ironing was best for me because it was easier to comb.  I thought braids would give my hair a rest too but I just took mine out and my hair was so tangled it was scary. A lot more of my hair came out when I washed it than normal so I won't be doing it again for a while.  Good luck on your new hair journey!
DANNETTA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNETTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 12:20pm
POKAHONTAS,HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO GROW YOUR HAIR OUT SO LONG. ALSO, YOU SAY THAT YOU HAIR IS VERY CURLY, I'M SURE YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD GRADE OF HAIR. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A NATURAL HAIR STYLE WITH A HAIR GRADE THAT IS MORE OF AN "AFRO" TYPE?
SimplyAlex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimplyAlex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 1:07pm

Hey DANNETTA,

Most people's hair grows around 6 inches a year so that should  give you an idea of how long it should take for you to reach your length goal. Teh best thing to do is to cut of like 2 inches and then put in braids, twist extentions, or a weave for 4 months. Then keep on doing that until there is no more relaxer left. Straightening everyday will drive you mad and working with the two textures are just murder. I have been natural for 8months trantioned for twelve and my hair is now 10 inches long! So good luck. Here a album you can visit. This lovely lady inspired me (as well as some other people) so take a look at her beautiful hair:

http://www.roshini.net/index.html

It goes from her transition to relaxer to her permenant transtion all the way up to know

Edited by SimplyAlex

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 1:47pm

Originally posted by DANNETTA DANNETTA wrote:

POKAHONTAS,HOW LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO GROW YOUR HAIR OUT SO LONG. ALSO, YOU SAY THAT YOU HAIR IS VERY CURLY, I'M SURE YOU MUST HAVE A GOOD GRADE OF HAIR. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A NATURAL HAIR STYLE WITH A HAIR GRADE THAT IS MORE OF AN "AFRO" TYPE?

Hey Dannetta, my hair has been long for as long as I can remember.  I"ve never had it cut, only trimmed and I used to be scared to do that but I found that if I kept my hair trimmed it grew even more. 

Yeah, my hair is very curly (3b with some 3a).  It's very similar to Tracee Ellis Ross's hair but longer.  I'm wearing it curly now and it's like a big poof.  Normally I wear it flat ironed straight.  As for afro type styles, do you know what hair type you are?  Like 4a or 4b maybe?  If you are looking to wear a natural style it would probably be easy to wear it braided in front or twisted with the back out and worn natural with some sort of anit frizz product or gel to keep your curls in tact.  You could also experiment with wet sets and braid outs.  I just like simple natural styles like a low ponytail or curly with some of my hair up and some down with lots of product to keep it under control.

DANNETTA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DANNETTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 9:01am

POKAHONTAS, I AM PRETTY NEW TO THIS NATURAL HAIR THING. IN FACT, I JUST STARTED THINKING ABOUT GROWING MY RELAXER OUT ABOUT A MONTH AGO. ANYWAY, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAIR TYPE I HAVE. HOW DO I FIND OUT? AND AS  FAR AS BRAID OUTS, WHAT EXACTLY ARE THEY? I KNOW THESE QUESTIONS MIGHT SOUND STUPID, BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD TO THINK ABOUT THEM BEFORE........THANKS!!!

ME IN TRANSITION WEARING CROCHET BRAIDS
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 11:32am

Dannetta...usually you will not see your real/true texture until you remove all the processed hair off, it weights the hair down causing it to sometimes look like a different texture than it really is.

Secondly, on this forum we try not to determine grades of hair by "good" or "bad" that was a system setup by Willie Lynch and many others to create a nomenclature among our own people. However, everyone who has hair on their head or trying to gain HEALTHY hair  has good hair.

Third... there is a sticky pasted on the beginning of the African American forum called Hair technique instructions...I recommend you going there it contains pictures, links and instructions of style that you can do to your hair whether you are relaxed/natural/transitioning  here is the link...   http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29585& amp;PN=1

Good luck!

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by DANNETTA DANNETTA wrote:

POKAHONTAS, I AM PRETTY NEW TO THIS NATURAL HAIR THING. IN FACT, I JUST STARTED THINKING ABOUT GROWING MY RELAXER OUT ABOUT A MONTH AGO. ANYWAY, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAIR TYPE I HAVE. HOW DO I FIND OUT? AND AS  FAR AS BRAID OUTS, WHAT EXACTLY ARE THEY? I KNOW THESE QUESTIONS MIGHT SOUND STUPID, BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD TO THINK ABOUT THEM BEFORE........THANKS!!!

No, that dosn't sound stupid at all.  Hair is a learning process and it takes time, and not to mention trial and error.  To find out your hair type you need to have like three inches of new growth.  Go to this web site and it will help you.http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/types.php

Braid outs are just when you wash your hair and braid it while it's wet, like a wet set but with braids.  This can be done with however many braids you want.  Small braids would give you a small wave and big ones would give you a looser wave.  Hope this helps and good luck.

zee9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zee9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 11:51pm
Definately TRIAL AND ERROR. You it the nail on the head
Pokahontas. You pretty much have to get to know your natural hair and
what works best for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic