Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Silicones FAQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silicones FAQ
    Posted: March 24 2005 at 6:22pm

moved to Product Finder forum

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 9:12pm
Thanks Anais...this should eb a sticky. This thread used to be locked. I dont think people know it's been unlocked now....
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 11:02pm

Yeah Renee, I agree that some people haven't noticed this forum being unlocked now. But this is awesome! I really was looking forward to it reopening.

O kind Mod Squad, can this be a sticky? Too many people have asked about cones.

my LJ, 40 inches long
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 9:30pm
i must say that i think all of this fuss over silicones is a little too much. they say that silicones are bad for your hair, well that all depends on wh at type of hair you have, and which types of silicones you are using. curly, coarse, frizzy hair types generally respond wonderfully well to silicones. then there is the differnce in silicones. there are such things as water soluble silicones, and non water soluble silicones. the non water soluble ones will build up over time. these are often the ones found in frizz reducing products like "frizz ease" and others. the water suluble ones are generally found in shine serums like rusk sheer briliance. these are the ones that will wash away completely with just water. so when in doubt, put some of your silicone product on your hands, run them under water, then let them air dry. if they still feel greasy and slimy, that silicone is not water soluble.        hope that helps end the confusion once and for all,

~bryan
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 5:10pm
its interesting that you say that bryan bec I heard the opposite. that silicone was not good for curly, coarse hair types....i think this will always cause some confusion
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 7:17pm
They were always saying that silicones were for curlies on another site, but they took a poll and found that women with straight hair used silicones more often than women with curly or wavy hair.

This is not dogma. Just try stuff and find out what works for you.

Edited by eKatherine

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Carie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 9:14pm
Hi,
I posted a reply in the sticky under Product Finders on 17th May and have been waiting for a reply for so long. Today I noticed this board and I hope I'll get some respond now. I'm posting my previous post again below.

Pls post a reply.. (Edited to request you. pls)

Edited by Carie - May 20 2006 at 9:16pm
Carie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 9:18pm
Hi, I'm a bit doubtful abt wht products I should use. I've been using Pantene for years. I've had thick, straight, smooth and silky hair. But now it's getting coarse and uneven and tends to b frizzy. The result, my hair's less silky than it used to be. Is this becoz of -cones or Ammonium Laureth Sulfate & Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate? Herbal Essence containing Sodium Laureth Sulphate & Sodium Lodium Lauryl Sulphate makes my hair a bit rough and dry. I haven't tried Garnier Fructis yet. As far as I've discovered, my hair is cone loving and I still love Pantene as only this neatly moisturizes my hair, makes it touchably soft and makes my hair silkier than any other products has ever done. Just in case, I'd like to add that my hair gets oily/sebumy at the top within 2-3 days of shampooing (though I think tht the sebum, which I call 'natural oil' is actually good for my hair). The main problem is, I'm havin Coarse, uneven and frizzy hairUnhappy which lacks the smooth sleek lookCry. What should I do??Question Please Help Me Out. 

Will Garnier Fructis suit my hair and help it to recover? Is it mild?
(Edited to seek some info & opinions regardind Garnier FructisTongue)   
PlutoPowered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlutoPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Carie Carie wrote:

Hi, I'm a bit doubtful abt wht products I should use. I've been using Pantene for years. I've had thick, straight, smooth and silky hair. But now it's getting coarse and uneven and tends to b frizzy. The result, my hair's less silky than it used to be. Is this becoz of -cones or Ammonium Laureth Sulfate & Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate? Herbal Essence containing Sodium Laureth Sulphate & Sodium Lodium Lauryl Sulphate makes my hair a bit rough and dry. I haven't tried Garnier Fructis yet. As far as I've discovered, my hair is cone loving and I still love Pantene as only this neatly moisturizes my hair, makes it touchably soft and makes my hair silkier than any other products has ever done. Just in case, I'd like to add that my hair gets oily/sebumy at the top within 2-3 days of shampooing (though I think tht the sebum, which I call 'natural oil' is actually good for my hair). The main problem is, I'm havin Coarse, uneven and frizzy hairUnhappy which lacks the smooth sleek lookCry. What should I do??Question Please Help Me Out. 

Will Garnier Fructis suit my hair and help it to recover? Is it mild?
(Edited to seek some info & opinions regardind Garnier FructisTongue)   

I think you're going to far into the cause of your unhappiness with your hair.  Frizziness, roughness, and the dryness of hair appears because the hair's cuticles are raised and/or damaged.

You can use whatever products you like but products with a higher pH (more alkaline) will raise the cuticle and make your hair look and feel the way you mentioned.  "Cheaper" / "over the counter" products tend to have more detergent in them (as you mentioned) and although they may clean well they are more harsh (and of a higher pH) than a more gentle product.  (DISCLAIMER - yes there are crappy salon products also = but not quite as many)  Take a pH tester (found at a garden center / WalMart) and compare them sometime.

Find a more gentle shampoo and a conditioner withOUT humectants(unless you want them) and with a low pH.  A product like ABBAs Moisture Scentsation (pH of 5) (or Aveda, Bumble and Bumble, or whatever) will not weigh your hair down (they have wheat, soy proteins which are lighter than humectants) and they will penetrate the hair AND close the cuticle which will make your hair look shinier, less tangly, and softer.

Gel / styling product can help with sealing and protecting the hair also but you don't want a cheap product which will leave deposits in your hair.

Finally, as others have suggested, you don't have to wash everyday but you'll need to experiment with that.
donnamonroe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnamonroe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 9:38pm
My stylist had me using Biosilk on my hair to control frizzies and add shine, and it's worked pretty well.  But a friend of mine in Dallas told me about a new product called Simply Stylin'.  She said it's pure silicone and does a better job than Biosilk.  They give out free samples on their website, so I requested some.  I'm hooked!  It makes my hair so soft and shiny, and it smells great.  I just bought a bottle.  Their website is www.simplystylinhair.com.  If anyone knows where I can find it in Chicago, please let me know!

Edited by donnamonroe - March 26 2007 at 9:39pm
Wendyon blast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wendyon blast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2007 at 2:18pm
According to my salesguy, Simply Stylin' is a new line and you can't get it in Chicago yet.  You'll have to buy it off their website.  But it's very hot, so it might be there soon.  My clients love it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic