Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

shrinkies??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shrinkies??
    Posted: March 25 2005 at 9:36pm

I believe that the shrinkies are not especially made for hair extension installation and that's why they work sometimes and don't work other times.

I know if doensn't help  the DIYer, since they  can't buy MB shrink links, but I can tell you that I know for certain that they diligently tested their shrink links to make certain it would work every time for hair extension applications.

MB used to be an engineer who worked in the plastics field before he found his true calling and became a hair dresser and eventually invented the shrink link process.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 4:44pm
I know International Wig sells shrinkies too, as well as a few overseas sites and eBay sellers.

This was already mentioned on another thread, but I'm also totally convinced that shrinkies are not manufactured for hair use--not that this means it's a bad product for hair, but I don't think it was intended for this purpose at all.

A few months ago, I saw a container of "shrinkies" that someone had gotten from a company in China (whether it was a hair company or plastics company, I don't know). They looked exactly like the ones I had from Doc's, they were adhesive lined, and the whole container supposedly cost $5--there were hundreds of them in there. Now, I never did any testing with these, but I can tell you that they were indistinguishable from Doc's based on look and feel. If I find out the name of this company, I will let you know though.

According to Doc's site, hers are coated with keratin glue (not that means anything to me, because I don't think keratin glue is any more gentle than anything else really); I also think the term "keratin" is used pretty liberally to describe lots of glues these days--basically anything whose base is protein, which is, after all, the basis of many glues. It's a pretty circular argument, really.

Anyway, I'll be curious to hear your findings, Octavia!

:)
octmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 2:34pm

ok, I use to work for a few months at  a plastic making plant - they make tubes for toothpaste...everything actually that comes in a tube...maybe I will go visit them on monday...back to the shrinkies, I think that there is a good chance that the "shrinkies" are just the cut off pieces that the company does not need. - which could explain the differences of glue,shrinking....lets say they have a order for 1/8 inch clear tubing 6 inches long, well the machine is set at six inches and then the plastic is fed in and trimmed down. I have tried the over the counter stuff and ordered tubing with glue in it - doesn't quite work the way it should.

Besides HairCandy and Doc's what is the other company that you can get them from?

I will let you know on Monday what they say at the tubing plant.

Octavia

Faces of Pain - One woman's Journey with Chronic Pain
www.octavaia@got-to-have-art.com
A world without ART is a world without color
GOT ART???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic