Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pre tiping with epoxy!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pre tiping with epoxy!!
    Posted: March 27 2005 at 6:32am
Well I tested a few things trying to get closer to the tips MB has and the winner is Gel Epoxy Indusrial strength. It comes with two tubes conected and I used a little at a time mixed and put it on with popcicle sticks. Very nice to work with and no mess it made perfect tips in one step. It can withstand heat up to 149c so it dosent melt in to the hair. And like MB's you can tip it so its just on the ends 1/8 or less. when you take the shrinky out it looks just like it did when it went in!! I bought it at home depot its where you will find all the caulk and putty by the paints sec.I'm restoring a 120 year old house and I'm always in there asking questions. But I have to say when I asked for a plastic that will bond hair and with stand high heat they looked at me a little strange I
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 6:44am

This is promising news indeed! It's great you've been able to re-create the flatness of the MB tips, and I'm also intrigued my the high melting temperature of the epoxy. Do you know how that temperature--149c--compares with the melting temperature of LG, latex, keratin, and other glues? :)
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:00am
Thoughs dont list there melting temps. But I just went and looked at sas photo of MB's tips and these came out just like that. I eaven held my doc haeter right on the tip for about 5 sec and no melting so it will be safe in the tip! You wont belive how much easer this was to work with!! You should let this dry for 24 hours as instrucked.the moisture leaves the resin and it becomes harder. I am pretty sure that This must be simalar to what MB tips with. Its not as brittle as nail glug stronger than latex and will not melt in to hair like LG.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:01am
Yes, very good experimenting there. It's always nice to have another option.

I don't want to veer too far off topic but in the same vein as flat tips... I replaced some strands that had slipped out and put them all in flat, even pressing the shrinkie flat instead of rolling. Ya know, it's pretty darn comfortable if I do say so myself. Those who haven't tried it should give it a whirl.

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:02am
Oh the karitin and other sticks must be 120c or les since thats what the temp of most glue guns and heat clamps is
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:04am
Amm I to have squished a few and yes very comfortable but it dosent look as nice and dosent stay as clear. I do like the feel though!!
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 1:46pm
I did a client's whole head with flat tips and squashing them flat instead of rolling them.  They still felt as solid but I found that the rows didn't look as good because as they were laying flat they gave a slightly bigger look.  I'll post pictures of her as soon as I get back to work on Wednesday and I'll keep you posted of her progress with them xxx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic