Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Spiked ’do, Need Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Spiked ’do, Need Help
    Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:31am

I just had my hair cut ultra short and I can't handle it!  It looks wonderful when the hairdresser styles it (I have been back three times) but I cannot do it myself.  I have tried three different waxes and all sorts of gels but nothing makes it stand up.  It just flops over and looks ratty.  I am so sad.  I was hoping this would be my miracle 5 minutes a day style and it is turning into 30 or more. 

Anyone out there with any advise?  I would greatly appreciate it.  My hair is about one inch long on top and very thin, striaght, and fine.  I was trying for Sharon Stone's look but it isn't working.

"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Kimbleachedblonde View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbleachedblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 7:29pm

Demodoll,

Did you try the Gel that I told you about before? This is what I wrote:

Demodoll,

I use: La Bella Super Spikes Styling Gel,
Extreme Hold "10" (It's Yellow)

You can get it at Walmart for I think $2.00??

It makes my spikes hard and it stays in until my next shampoo.

They advertise it in Hairstyle Magazines.

Kim

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:10pm

I did get some and tried it but it doesn't work for me.  I think fine hair just doesn't take to most products and flops over.  I tried using it on wet hair and drying it and I tried just using it without using a blow dryer at all.  It didn't work and neither did various other gels, mouses, and waxes.  I hate to plan a grow out but I can't deal with this mess I have now.

Thanks for the advise though.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:44pm

Hi Demodoll,

So sorry to hear of your spike challenges.

I have a guy who works for me....Sammy...and he has been testing gels for spiking for several months.  He has fine hair.  I mean really fine. 

Here is what he found for me:

got2b Spiking Glue.  You should see his spikes.  Now one thing to be aware of is these really give you hard spikes if you use the full strength.  So, what you can do, is mix 1/2 of the got2b glue with 1/2 of a softer gel for a softer spike.

Also, the key is to get the glue down near the base of the hair because you are right, fine hair will spike right over. 

The other issue with the got2B is that you have to use the got2B shampoo to remove the spikes.  The Glued was designed with a special spiking formula AND the only thing that softens it is the got2B shampoo.

BMail me and I will send you a special note.  Or email me at shelton@hairboutique.com.

Sammy has tried all kinds of gels and he is totally in love with the got2B Glued.  In fact, when we temporarily ran out he was in a true panic until we got more.  His hair looks amazing with the spikes.

He has spiked it both really hard and then he mixes it for really soft.

I am logged on for a few more minutes so please bmail or email me as soon as you can.

Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:57pm
Thanks Karen.  Is there a special technique for applying?  Everyone has been either running their fingers all the way through, pushing all the hair up and then twisting down bits, or just twisting the tips of clumps of hair together.  I have tried both and am just a klutz I guess. 
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 3:08am

Hi Demodoll,

The easiest (maybe not cheapest) way is to ask your stylist how they do it, which product they use.  They'll no doubt sell you the stuff, giving you the time to test it yourself and look for it in professional shops that cater to the occasional private customer too.

It surely helps if you dry your hair straight up (do not forget the cooling down!!), it makes the spiking a lot easier (and holds longer).

Lots of luck trying and you'll get there, it's just a matter of time before you have the movement in your fingers.

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 7:10am

Actually I did buy their product.  The problem is this.  I live in south Florida and it is very windy and humid and my hair is very fine.  The product my stylist used on me was a wax.  I looked great in the salon.  Two hours later after walking around outside, taking my son to a roller hockey game, going to the grocery store, all my regular Saturday stuff, I took a look at my hair and it was a greasy mess.  No sexy spikes.  It just looked dirty and messy.  And with the wax on it my hair seems to repell hairspray (my old staple).  So I began to think I had made an awful mistake.  I went back to the stylist three times but I think the problem is that it could be the wrong style for my hair.  I just wanted something easy and attractive and my stylist said this would work but I think he forgot the climate or something.  Oh well, it will grow.....

I did get some posts last night with more products to try and I certainly will before I give up and grow it back.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 9:48am

Hi DD,

I sent you a BMail about all of this.  However, Sammy has been testing the Got2B glued & related products for some time. 

He has very fine hair.  So what he does first is to take about a dime size of the glued product and apply it to his palms of his hands.  Then he uses thumb and index finger and in a type of pinching motion he applies the product to just his roots to make sure that he gets enough at the base of the hair to prevent the spikes from flopping over. 

After he has applied the product to the roots and it has started to dry a little, he then glides the product up from the roots to the ends. Depending on whether he wants really hard spikes or not, he will mix the Got2b glued with the Got2b defiant which will give a softer spiked look to the ends of the hair.

North Texas tends to be hot, humid and windy.  Depending on the weather he will either spike it from root to end with the G2B glued or he will do just the roots with the G2B glued which builds a solid base and then will maybe mix with the defiant or the playful which is more of a creme pomade.

Anyway, the key is to get the roots to be solid so that they can support the weight of the rest of the strands.  And with fine hair, that is even more tricky.

His spikes are totally awesome.  He gets stopped and asked by people how to get the same look because they can't figure out how to do it on their own hair. He has been testing various formulas to get his spikes just right and it has been a great source of learning for me to help people with spiking and gel questions.

One thing to consider...if he uses the Got2b glued from base to ends, his spikes get really hard and he said that unless you use the Got2B shampoo, he can't get the glued out easily.  With the G2B shampoo, it comes right out.  Also, if you spike the entire hair from base to end with the glued you may not be able to lay your head down and sleep.  So you would have to shampoo before you go to bed if you spike it too hard.  :-)

Which of course is better than having hair flop over I would think.  :-)

Let me know if you have questions DD.

The Got2B products really impress me a lot.  They are easy on the budget and the products really work well, if you just take the time to figure out how to use them.  Which is what we are doing with the G2B line right now.

Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

Thanks Karen.  Is there a special technique for applying?  Everyone has been either running their fingers all the way through, pushing all the hair up and then twisting down bits, or just twisting the tips of clumps of hair together.  I have tried both and am just a klutz I guess. 

Edited by Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 10:25am
I'll try and let you know what happens.  Thank you!!
kristie m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 8:55pm
I too have super-fine straight hair cut in a Sharon Stone crop. It takes a
little more than five minutes for me to fix my hair (more like 15) but it
always looks great and stays put for the day, regardless of the weather.

I have found a few products I've come to depend on with this hair and
style. First, while it is wet, I use a product from Ice Hair called "Spiker
Water-Resistant Hair Glue." I use about a lima bean sized blob and work
it throughout my hair. Then I blowdry and do a lot of scrunching and
pulling as it dries. It gets a bit sticky but that goes away once it is dry.
Then I use just a tiny bit of Redkin Water Wax to emphasize the piecey-
ness in the front. I lock in the spikes with Sebastian's Laminates Hair
Spray/Thermal Styler.

I can usually get another day out of my hair with no addition of products
or washing. I just spray a little water all over and re-do a quick styling,
then spray a little more of the Laminates to finish it off. It took me a few
months of working with this style to get my flat baby hair to respond
properly, but now it looks great every day.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 8:55am
Wow, thank you.  More good advise.  I have to go out this weekend and try to find some of these products.  I'll keep you guys updated with my progress.
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 2:54am

Hi DD!

What a bummer - a stylist that uses wax on fine hair.  It's in your first year: no wax on fine hair (unless you want a limp look).  Too heavy (but others have indicated that as well)!  Combine the wax with Florida and the recipe for disappearing spikes is there.  With a warm and humid climate it is very difficult to have your hair do things it normally doesn't want to (decurl, curl, spike, ...).  Since I live in a more moderate climate way from the US, I can't give you any specific advise about products.  Should you care to read the ingredients - a product containing PVP's could do the trick.  These are 'plastics' that get really hard once heat-dried.  It's in many decurling products and has a good humid resistance.

Maybe take a look at the length of your spikes too: if they're too long (for your hair) and can't be dried standing up, they'll always fall down by their own weight and that of the product.  The root will only resist it's natural growing direction if the hair if (relatively) thick enough to carry the weight.  A good comparson is a rope you're trying to stand up (like the fakirs).  You can use many products to make it hard, but if it is too long, the products will 'crack' at the base, making the rope fall down.

I'm hoping your past WE shopping trip got you the right product!

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 6:48am
Thanks.  I'm still working on it.  My hair is particularly resistant to standing up no matter what I use.  I am not quite ready to give up yet.  I have a hair appointment on Wednesday so perhaps that will help.  I will check for PVPs.  That is interesting.  I haven't tried any decurling products (having completely pin straight hair I have shied away from them).  Maybe there is potential there.
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 6:12am

Hi DD!

How did the appointment/list of new products work out?  Did you go for yet a bit shorter or just gotten help on the 'how to style' front?

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 6:59am

Well, I have been kind of waiting to post results because I am still unsure of how I am going to deal with this.  First, let me say thank you to everyone who has been trying to help me.  I have tried a myriad of products and it is better but I don't think I'll be keeping this style.  I did have it cut shorter and dyed blonder but I think I just can't stand the feeling of all those products.  It doesn't look or feel like hair and I still hate it when the wind blows.  I think I can understand some of the scarier pictures of Sharon Stone with this style.  It still only looks good when the hairdresser does it for me.  I am getting better at doing it but I only get compliments when I come directly from the salon.  Otherwise I mainly get the "oh you cut your hair," kind of comment.

Right now I am putting a mixture of spray wax and spiker glue on it while wet and blowing it dry with my fingers.  Then I add that mix to it again when dry and pull it into shape.  Then spray it hard if I can (it still seems to repel hairspray).  Maybe I should go blonder, I don't know. 

Actually, at this point I am so traumatized that I want my blunt bob back.  1986 here I come.....

HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 5:31am

Hi DD!

Sorry to hear reproducing the style isn't in your fingers yet and you don't like the 'feel' of it.

Since it's gonna take a while to get somewhat longer, maybe another tip?  Use mousse on your wet hair iso spray wax; the wax will stay softer (bends more easily).  Dry your hair warm with the mousse in it (already spiking it).  Don't forget to cool down the hair.  Finishing with the 'spiker glue' will finish your look.  Certainly don't despair: hairstylist have to learn their trade too and usually that involves some trial and error too.  In your case, styling your own hair in another way than you were used to, makes it even more difficult.  Wouldn't surprise me to hear you got the hang of it in a few weeks

Don't forget 'on the way out' to try some other short styles: it will make the 'journey' longer, but who knows, maybe you'll find a style that 'fits' (looks good on you, you like and can style easily).

So DD, chin up and all that stuff ad try to have fun experimenting with your new style!

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 6:53am

Thanks for the kind words HD_EU.  Believe me I have the utmost respect for the talents of hairsylists.  They are right up there with doctors in importance in my life!

I am getting better at this but I am still freaked abouit the difference I guess.  I only spent about 10 minutes on it yesterday which is what I am looking for.  We are having gale force winds later today so we'll see how I do.  I spend a fair amount of time outside and need something durable that can survive wind, heat, and humidity.  South florida can actually melt hair product right out of your hair.

I do prefer short hair for many reason (not the least of which is that I don't have much hair and it looks fuller short).  I'll see how this progresses.

I may have found a new hairdresser through all this which is good in one way but I was really fond of my previous guy and feel terrible about moving away from him.  Guilty I guess.

Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic