Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

**Metalgirl’s Clip-In Techniques**

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: **Metalgirl’s Clip-In Techniques**
    Posted: April 01 2005 at 4:36am

Please note: This is for archiving purposes only.

**You can see a picture of Metalgirl with her clip-ins on (a before and after) on the “About Me” page of her website: www.MetamorphosisHairDesign.com

Metalgirl’s Clip-in Techniques:

Making them:

“I would definitely recommend that you make your own clip-ins. That way, you can customize the width of each weft piece according to your head's measurements. I make all my clip-in extensions out of hand tied wefts because the hair is better quality and doesn't shed at all. Each hand tied weft weighs 1/2 ounce, so if you ordered a 1/4 pound, you'll get 8 hand tied wefts. I usually use Bohyme hair for this. I like to use upholstery thread that you can buy at any fabric store. It's very strong stuff.

You don't want to cut hand tied wefts. Instead of cutting them, you want to fold them over to make it the length you need.

My clip ons that I am wearing currently are made out of 8 ounces of hand tied hair, 4 tracks that are each 12" wide. To make them 12" wide (hand tied is only usually 10" wide) I stagger the pieces so it ends up measuring 12" wide. That way it comes closer to my hairline in the front and gives me more hair that falls forward for doing face framing layers.

When I am preparing to sew my wefts, I first figure out how many of the hand tied wefts I want per track. I usually have 3-4 per track. (I wear 8 ounces of hair, that's 16 hand tied wefts). Then I lay one out on the table and I layer the others over that and stagger them so the whole thing will be 12" wide. However you want to stagger it is fine, whether it's folding ends over or whatever, it doesn't really matter. Then I prefer to take the staggered pieces to my sewing machine and zigzag stitch it once or twice. Then sew your clips on.”

Wearing them:

“My hair is baby fine and thin, so in order to give the clips something to hold on to, I part the hair where I want the weft clipped, back-comb it, and then spray over my back combing with a sticky hair spray like Aqua Net. By making a base, it gives something for the clips to hook into, and that is the only way they will stay securely in fine, thin hair.

Now the drawbacks:
They are not as comfortable as other extension methods that I have worn. Sometimes the clips will pull on some hairs and cause tenderness on my scalp.

Being a wefted method, it is bulkier than strand extensions.

Never sleep with them in! First of all it would be uncomfortable, but more importantly, the clips can cause baldness if they are worn 24/7.

I have worn clip in's for 3 years now, and overall I love them because when I don't want to have all that hair on (like for exercising) I just take it off. I wear them 5 days a week when I go to work, and then usually give my head a break on the weekend when I'm not going anywhere that I need to look good.”

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic