Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shrinkie Removal... w/OUT the Heat Wand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shrinkie Removal... w/OUT the Heat Wand
    Posted: April 01 2005 at 3:40pm

I removed my shrinkies this morning!  They ALL came out smoothly!  Call me crazy, but this is what I did...

Not last night, but the night before, I shampooed & conditioned twice globbing my roots/shrinkie bonds w/the conditioner.  Once my hair air dried, I put PARNEVU T-TREE SCALP OIL all over the bonds.. and went to bed.  Last night I loaded the oil on again before bed.  This morning, these shrinkies where ready to come out!  I squeezed the shrinkie and rolled it a bit and it kinda snapped.  I think by this point they were so distorted from the oil they just snapped and became flexible again.  I pulled the tip out, then the shrinkie came right out! 

All of my shrinkies came out this way.. like cake.  So even if some of them weren't shrunk down exactly how they were supposed to be, at least 1/2 of them had to be right.  They all got distorted and slid right out.  I'm kinda pumped to know this was so easy! 

Somebody else is gonna have to try this!  I also had two bonded tracks in my crown area, these babies came right out too!  I've never had bonded tracks come out so easily! 

So... one to my next hair venture!

Cheers!

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 3:55pm
GreatI remove my own links so my friend dosn't have to do that too!!I was wondering how hard it would be to get out the shrinkys on my own with out burnt fingers and scalp!!!
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 4:17pm
From where do you get this scalp oil?  I've bought little tiny bottle of tea tree and other essential oils but...  And I love tee tree oil shampoos and conditioners and its a good thing I'm about to take a shower I actually want to go wash my hair all of a sudden.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Bridget Bridget wrote:

I shampooed & conditioned twice globbing my roots/shrinkie bonds w/the conditioner. I put PARNEVU T-TREE SCALP OIL all over the bonds.. and went to bed.  Last night I loaded the oil on again before bed.  This morning, these shrinkies where ready to come out! 

That's great news, Bridget! Did you have any residue left behind, or did all the oil basically take care of that, too? I would imagine the residue just washed right out?

I love this approach, by the way. I removed fusion bonds this way (with some pliers, too), and had much more luck and much less damage with the oil/conditioner approach than when the extensionist used the alcohol/acetone remover. The key is, as you've done, letting that oil/conditioner soak in for a long time--over several days, if necessary.

:)
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 6:22pm
I have to say I'm skeptical of this, or at the very least that this wouldn't work on shrinkies that are heat sealed all the way down into the grain of rice size like I've shown.

The whole concept of heat shrink tubing (especially the kind we're using) is that it's made specifically for electric wires to withstand this kind of liquid/oil penetration.

Like I said, though, I'm skeptical so that means I'm going to buy Parnevu Tea Tree Scalp Oil.

If it works? I'm gonna have a lot of extentubes to sell. LOL!

Where'd you get it, Bridget? I'm stoked!
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 2:26am
Can you keep me posted Amm cos I'm very interested in this.  I can't see that this would work on how I install them either xxx
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 4:26am
I haven't tried this with shrinkies, of course, but you girls may be pleasantly surprised. Like I said, I removed fusion this way; oil & conditioner + time works wonders, imo. (In my case, I used olive oil.) Of course, the key is time. You need to leave the oil on for days, overnight, but it's worth it, imo. The problem you might have, if you're using this approach with clients, is that they'll need to shampoo several times afterward to remove all the oil residue. I'm not sure you'd want to reinstall anything for a few days after at least. :)
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 10:03am

I bought the Parnevu at Sally's, around 6 bucks.  There wasn't any residue left from the shrinkies, just some from the bonded wefts.  I used a latex glue for the wefts and the oil made it get really tacky like, so I just combed this out.

Not all of my shrinkies where like grains of rice, that's for sure.  But, a majority of them were hard/solid feeling.  Amm, give this a shot on Cait, I'm sure she'll be a good geunie pig.  Also, is it really true that these shrinkies are made to withstand oil penetration?  I did a google, but couldn't find too much on specefications like this.   A few threads back, I remember gals stating that the shrinkie actually melted in their hair.  So, I wonder what the specs of Docs, Kristin's & MB Links are compared to the tubing at the hardware store. Maybe these *hair* shrinkies are at the lower end of the durabilitly/quality line??  Just a thought... 

What are the instructions for the MB Shrink Link removal process?

Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 10:09am

Originally posted by Jenny_RR Jenny_RR wrote:

I haven't tried this with shrinkies, of course, but you girls may be pleasantly surprised. Like I said, I removed fusion this way; oil & conditioner + time works wonders, imo. (In my case, I used olive oil.) Of course, the key is time. You need to leave the oil on for days, overnight, but it's worth it, imo. The problem you might have, if you're using this approach with clients, is that they'll need to shampoo several times afterward to remove all the oil residue. I'm not sure you'd want to reinstall anything for a few days after at least. :)

I totally agree.  I shampooed 3 x's in the shower yesterday.  My hair isn't oily or heavy feeling at all now, but a little fly away fine.  I can see how this approach would kind of be difficult with clients, unless you tell them to put the oil on 2 days prior to coming in for a take down.. and yes, waiting a couple of days before a reinstall.   I'm gonna give myself about a week... while I patiently await my arrival on large extentubes!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic