Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

silicone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
abeka24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeka24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: silicone?
    Posted: April 07 2005 at 5:35pm

I have read some threads on here about products with silicone being bad for your hair and clarifying.  Why is silicone bad for your hair?  I checked and I use quite a few products that end in "cone", but I use them because they make my hair feel so soft and silky. 

Also what exactly is clarifying, how important is it, and how do I do it?

thanks for all responses

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 6:38pm
Hi abeka,

Some people swear by products (conditioners) high in silicone.  Others avoid them like the plague (count me in this category).  My experience in using conditioners high in silicone content was good at first (soft and silky, such as you described)... but after awhile, my hair got to be hard and brittle and tangly.  Basically the silicone layered on the strands so thickly that moisture was trapped out of the strands.  At the time I wasn't aware of clarifying shampoos, but even then I figure "why bother" with the high-silicone products anyway?

But if they work for you, then by all means continue to use them.  But if or when your hair starts to become less soft & silky and more crunchy and tangly, you may want to consider eliminating the products from your routine, or introduce a clarifying shampoo into it.
abeka24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeka24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 10:01pm

Dave,

Thanks for explaining that. 

So clarifying is just a clarifying shampoo?  I thought it was something more.  I know wht you're saying about the tangling though.  My hair doesn't get brittle, just a little rough feeling.  But this only happens when I use the same shampoo for more than a week in a row, so I usually switch brands every five days or so.  My hair is kinda long and tangles easily so I use tons of conditioner and anti-frizz or shine serum and my hair feels awesome-so I'm glad to hear that they're not that bad!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 7:52am
Clarifying really would be a good idea if you're using so many silicone products and every day.  I clarify once every 2 weeks, but even so, I only use silicone conditioner once a week or once every 2 weeks.  It helps to prevent the damage before it starts.

You can use a clarifying shampoo, or you can use a vinegar rinse.  People's recipes for the vinegar vary.  I use 1 tablespoon white vinegar in 1 cup of water, poured over my head, then washed out.  Many people use a more concentrated solution. 
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
jean32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 1:03am

Silicones can cause buildup[residue],silicones can't washed out with just water.

Edited by jean32
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic