Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My bob looks bad!! Do I tell my stylist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
abs2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abs2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My bob looks bad!! Do I tell my stylist?
    Posted: April 09 2005 at 9:02pm

Well, I'm new here but I need some advice about a haircut I just got.  I've always had short hair because it's always very chic and cut, but still easy to manage. Well, the last time I went in, I got what I think is a modified blunt bob (I don't really know the technical terms) with a tiny bit of layering. I really liked it, so yesterday I went back and just told her to keep what I had and to trim it up a bit. I've been to the same salon and hairdresser a couple years and I absolutely love everything she does to my hair. But then today happened.....Well, she was running a bit behind and I had to be somewhere. I did mention once that I had a lunch date, but other than that I didn't say anything, although I did keep glancing at my watch. When she was through and showed me my hair, I pretty much said "It looks great!" and ran out the door. Long story short. I'm 30 minutes late to my lunch date, and my friend's point out to me that the back of my hair is cut weird. I run home, look at the back with a mirror and want to cry! Apparently the back of my hair is cut shorter than the rest of the hair, forming this triangle in the very back center of my hair. I realize this hair cut is suppose to be longer in the front and shorter in the back to make it curl under, but I don't think it's suppose to be an obvious triangle--- it wasn't last time. What should I do??? Like I said, I love my hairdresser, and I don't want to get her pissed at me, but I don't like my hair. I've already called the salon and told them (very apologetically) that I think there's something wrong with the cut. At first they told me that I couldn't get in for another week, but I said I REALLY needed to get it fixed sooner, so they went and talked to my hairstylist and came back and said just to show up anytime Tuesday and they would work me in. Is this ok? Is my hairstylist going to hate me for life? What's a nice way to tell her when I go back in on Tuesday. I'm such a pushover...

I hope this is the right place to post this. If it should be somewhere else please let me know, I was just hoping since you all love short hair so much, that you would be able to maybe tell me what is wrong with it and possibly give me some suggestions for how to fix it.

Here's the links to the pictures:

http://photobucket.com/practice.php?id=1glf4

Thanks!
Abby

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2005 at 9:48pm
You linked to the practice HTML page of your photobucket account. You have six pictures of the back of your head there. I'm assuming that those are the ones you wanted us to look at. It doesn't look bad to me, though you say it's clearly not what you asked for or were expecting. You had a miscommunication, nobody's fault. As long as you approach it that way, there should be no problem getting it tweaked.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 2:25am

It looks to me like it just might be curving differently in that one spot, but I can't really tell.

Anyway, if you're unhappy, just go back and explain the problem.  You were in a rush and didn't notice until later, something I'm sure could happen to anyone.  I don't think your stylist will be angry.

More awesome than a manatee!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 8:30am
It should just take her a few minutes. It's not like you're trying to get a perm or color problem fixed.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 1:36pm
Abby, it doesn't look bad. A little shorter in back than in front is called
an a-line. It's a popular and attractive style.

Your stylist performed a service for you. You paid her to deliver a
good cut. You don't feel this is a good cut, so you should let her know
that. If she has pride in her work and likes you, she'll want to hear it.
She knows she doesn't get it right every time and not only shouldn't
she be pissed if you say something, but she would probably be
offended if you don't say anything. She expects you to be happy with
her work and if you aren't, she should hear about it. You should
always get what you pay for.

That said, be polite and don't yell. (I doubt you would.) You catch a
lot of flies with honey.
natasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote natasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 2:29pm
The cut might not be exactly what you had in mind -- but it still looks pretty good in my opinion. Maybe give it a little time to get used to it?

PS: I'd love to see it from the front and sides.
abs2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abs2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 8:42pm

Thanks so much for all your replies! (Usually newbies don't get much response from people!) I'm going in on Tuesday to get it fixed. I'm going to be really nice, but I'm going to point out that there are two spots where the hair is obviously shorter than it should be (I don't think the pictures were able to show that too well).  And sorry about the link. I've never posted pics before...

PS- I had some pictures of the front and back, but my fiancee didn't like the idea of me posting pictures of myself in an open forum--- so this was all I was "allowed" to post--haha.  But the front looks really good! That's why I'm so upset I'm going to have to get about another half an inch cut off around the whole thing to fix it.  Oh well, it will grow back and I've had even shorter hair before.

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 6:25am

Wow I'll be the first to admit it....Your stylist didn't even cut it even. It's uneven and it's easy to see that. There are points all in the baseline of that haircut. Definately go back to your stylist and tell her to fix it. I could never let a client walk out the door with her hair looking like that and feel good about the service if I was the person who cut that hair.

As for her cutting another 1/2" off the haircut that's ridiculous! She can even that out without taking another 1/2" off the whole cut. Your hair looks nice and thick from the images. Maybe her sections she was cutting we're too large and as she was cutting the hair was getting pushed as she was cutting it creating the uneven line. Whatever she did it's bad!

That's what I call a "JACKED UP" haircut!

Edited by Claude
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 8:25am
looks fine to me   simple a-line   very hot nowadays
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
loveitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2005 at 10:44am
Honey.. what are you talking about?  :-)  It looks fantastic!  Your friend must be strange to think that is a bad haircut.  Take a look at many magazines and you'll see this is a very popular A-line bob.  I'd even go shorter..

loveitshort
stuartSan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuartSan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 9:03am
Honestly its hard to judge as the first few pictures show a slightly left biased concave, but the bottom pics look good, and it might be your styling. Perhaps you could wet your hair and comb it straight down your nape to let us have a clearer picture on how the hair's really cut? Even then it'd be hard to see because we wouldn't be able to judge where the hair is growing from.

It could be a styling/blowing problem, or the stylist really went wrong somewhere. If a customer were to give me feedback I'd really be happy about it since I get to learn more  and correct the haircut according to their wants.

I'd say you have nothing to worry about going back like that. She should do it for free too.
abs2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abs2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 9:46pm

Oh wow! I just logged on and saw all the new replies! Thanks! Sorry, I haven't responded, but I had a couple early finals this week (I'm doing a second major). Anyway, to let everyone know-- I did go back in. She was really nice, and evened the back out a lot. There's still a bit of a curve, but she said that it's suppose to look like that, and the only way to cut it this way, is to make it go along the curve of your head (not really sure what that means) I think maybe next time I will get it a little more stacked in the back.

Thanks for all the advice!

cutmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cutmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 12:28pm
personal I think your hair looks great!!! You could always go alittle shorter
makeitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by abs2004 abs2004 wrote:

Oh wow! I just logged on and saw all the new replies! Thanks! Sorry, I haven't responded, but I had a couple early finals this week (I'm doing a second major). Anyway, to let everyone know-- I did go back in. She was really nice, and evened the back out a lot. There's still a bit of a curve, but she said that it's suppose to look like that, and the only way to cut it this way, is to make it go along the curve of your head (not really sure what that means) I think maybe next time I will get it a little more stacked in the back.

Thanks for all the advice!

You do know that you are now REQUIRED to post new photos.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic