Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

plz rescue me! peroxide on peroxide!!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
x_kaila_x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x_kaila_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: plz rescue me! peroxide on peroxide!!?
    Posted: April 10 2005 at 10:47am

last thrusday - 31st march, i dyed my hair with "smart colour - intense red fashion styling kit." this contains hydrogen peroxide in the activator. first day was fab! then the min i washed it, the water started goin pink, and has done every time ive washed it since! oh, i only used this as an undercolour to my dark brown hair.! anyway, its gone from red, to pink, to paler pink, to pale pink with orange tinges in it!!

so yesterday, i bought l'oreal feria colour booster technology in pure scarlet power. however, this too contains hydrogen peroxide in its developer!!!

some have said it'll be fine to dye it, some said not too...

what do you lot think?? DESPERATELY need help cos i'm going back to school tomorrow!! thank you!!

xXx

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 11:02am
Unnatural reds always fade really fast. If you want to keep it up, you should get a color product like Manic Panic or Special FX, and recolor weekly. They come in lots of colors, and as they fade you can change the shade, too.

I'm not sure how much bleaching your hair has taken, either from other products or from this one, so I would hesitate to recommend using a product that contains a peroxide activator. Somebody else may know more about this than me.
x_kaila_x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote x_kaila_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 11:08am

hia!

firstly, thanks for replying! wasn't sure anyone would be about!!

secondly, the smart colour is the only real bleaching i've ever had done - the last colour i had on my hair before that was xmas eve i used a l'oreal multitonal thingy.

i don't think i could afford to buy new hair dye every week 2 be honest with you!! lol.

oh, and i've used red once before and it took really well to my hair - infact, when i haven't dyed it red it always seems 2 fade 2 red neway!!  lol.

xxxXxxx

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 11:59am
Most unnatural (scarlet, magenta, hot pink) reds fade to an icky pinkish tone after a week or two, and people just recolor as often as needed. It may seem like a lot of $$$, but just think of how much it would cost to have it done at a salon.

Even natural-type reds fade badly, and often fade in such a way that they seem to change to pink or peachy colors.

Even if that red you had took well before, the other colors on top of it did not. Therefore, it always faded back to what was left of the red.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 1:24am
If you want red, Katherine is absolutely right.  Get some Special Effects (with several lovely red shades to choose from).  If you're only doing an undercolor, then you probably only need to use about a third of a bottle.  Even if you have to refresh your color every three weeks, you'll get two months of color out of a $10 bottle. 

Also, veggie dyes (such as SFX and Manic Panic) tend to stick well to previously dyed, porous hair and are better than repeated usage of permanent color.  If you keep stacking more and more permanent color on your hair, soon it won't hold anything.  Veggie dye, on the other hand, won't contribute to the damage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic