Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

salon straightening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenyluv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenyluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: salon straightening
    Posted: April 14 2005 at 7:28am
I just have a question, I have thick dry corse curly jewish type hair.(only 1/8th jewish, but hell, i got the hair)lol, anyways, I was wondering, is it worth the time and $$ to get my hair professionally/chenically straightened? Will it make it "normal" or is it a waste of $$. do you know any web site I can see before andafter photos of hair straightening?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 8:44am
Considering how much money permanent straightening costs, any stylist who does this should be able to show you not only before and after pictures, but give you references from satisfied customers.

If you search on this board on "chi straightening" you should find some threads full of very unsatisfied customers, people who spend a thousand dollars or more, only to have their hair break off. I have no experience with any sort of straightening, but you should probably read those threads before investing money.

If what you're looking for is a lye relaxer (like the kind women with African-american hair use), you can probably get it at a salon where they specialize in that type of hair. It's damaging, and who knows how your hair will respond, so get a strand test, especially since you have previously colored your hair. As far as how your unique hair will look after this type of relaxing, there's really no way to predict. Until you try it, you can't really know whether you hair will look kinky straight, naturally wavy, or what.

Do not try this at home. Some home straightening kits can destroy the hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic