Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So frusterated I could cry...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So frusterated I could cry...
    Posted: April 17 2005 at 12:07pm

Hey all.... I've been a member of this board for what seems like forever.  Back when I first joined I had a horrible highlighting accident...and then this hair dresser bleached my hair 3 more times on top of that - all in one day.  As I'm sure you guessed my hair was hidious!   Back then my hair was 16 or 17 inches long.

My problem...

It is now 2005.  I believe I joined this board in ... I think 2002 maybe?!  My hair is now only 20 inches.  thats only THREE inches of growth.  My hair is fine and thin.... and all the "hidious" part has grown out and its all my natural hair color.  But the damage is still there.  I don't understand why my hair won't grow!! 

Yes, I do use a straightener and a blow dryer.    I know thats bad.  But my hair is THIN....I have to have some sort of volume to it.  My hair doesn't hold curl...it just lays there flat.  I'm sure one of you will mention layers...but I just think they are bad considering I already have some damaged hair and its harder to keep up with split ends on layered hair. 

My last trim was March 7.  I go every two or three months but only because I HAVE to ....  I believe that healthy hair looks better than long damaged fried hair. 

I use big sexy hair S & C.  I also use loreal mega moisture conditioner some times.. as well as, the heat control leave in cream by loreal.  I DON'T use any mousse, (makes my hair feel yucky) hair spray or anything like that.

I take 5000 mcg of biotin and 800 I.U of vitamin E a day.  I work out daily as well.

Sounds hopeless doesn't it?  What am I doing wrong??? Please help!

Edited by AmberJune
*AmberJune* http://twitter.com/AmberJune01
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 12:53pm
Ok, first the growth problem. You say that your hair was 16-17" long when you had that stylist bleach your hair four times in one day back in 2002. Now it's 20" long, and the damaged part is completely gone. So you've got 20" of virgin hair since then, right? That sounds like it's been growing at a rate of 6-7" per year, which is a very good growth rate.

I suspect what you're saying is that during this time your hair didn't get much longer, so therefore there was no growth. If you've got 20" of virgin hair, where did the length go?

It sounds to me like you trimmed it all off. How much do you trim off each two or three months?

If you want longer hair, you're going to have to take better care of it. Period. It looks like heat styling is your nemesis.

Just a choice you have to make for yourself.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 7:22am
You silly!  I just looked at your hair page and your hair is beautiful!  It does not look damaged to me.  I agree with eKatherine that you just trimmed off all the bad stuff and you're now into better hair, and it is growing, so keep your growth from now on and you will have long hair in no time! 
No, layers are not a good option for thin hair that you want long, they will make it look thinner.  If you really want more volume, but not damage, why not cut out the straightener, and just use the blow dryer on a cool setting?  Straightened hair is going to be flatter than unstraightened hair anyway, and this will be much less damaging for the future.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 10:34pm

...hey all!

Thanks for the comments so far...

I only get my hair trimmed about 1/2 inch or less everytime I get it trimmed.  My hair just gets soooooo stringy if I don't get it trimmed. 

Yes, I really do need to cut out the blow dryers and straighteners. But if I don't blow dry my hair is flat... if I don't straighten my hair is frizzy! 

I really do need to take better care of my hair...I really do try!!

Oh and also... why is it that my hair has been virgin hair for probably the last year now and it hasn't gotten ANY length.  If I cut only 1/2 an inch off every 3 months or so...I should still have A LITTLE BIT of growth...right?  Like at least 3 inches a year at the least!  I examined my hair in the back of my head with a mirror standing in front of another mirror...and my hair looks like it has broken off almost the whole way to the top of my head.  )o:

Edited by AmberJune
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 10:36pm

Originally posted by Susan W Susan W wrote:

You silly!  I just looked at your hair page and your hair is beautiful!  It does not look damaged to me.  I agree with eKatherine that you just trimmed off all the bad stuff and you're now into better hair, and it is growing, so keep your growth from now on and you will have long hair in no time! 
No, layThaters are not a good option for thin hair that you want long, they will make it look thinner.  If you really want more volume, but not damage, why not cut out the straightener, and just use the blow dryer on a cool setting?  Straightened hair is going to be flatter than unstraightened hair anyway, and this will be much less damaging for the future.

Hi.. (o:  That hair page was from last year... *frowns*  As you can see I haven't updated! But anyways...you see how my hair looks in the top picture?  Thats how my hair normally always gets if I don't trim every two months...which I just don't think is pretty.

Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 4:45am

Hi, Amber. You have beautiful hair, but as you say, it's fine hair. I have this type too, albeit lots of it, and I've found without exception that I can't grow it long and regularly heat style at the same time. The reason is that blow drying and especially flat irons break delicate hair, usually at the ends where it is weakest. So you're probably losing inches off the ends just from breakage (and this is what causes the frayed unevenness to which you seem to be referring).

You can help a little by using a deep conditioner every dayusing a leave-in such as Redken Anti-Snap, treating hair with the ultimate gentleness -- but I have definitely noticed that if I heat style with any regularity, my hair won't grow past a certain point, period. The ends of my hair get weaker and weaker (because all that damage is cumulative, and the longer your hair gets, the older it is on the ends) and break off gradually, giving the appearance of little or no growth.

Fine hair also shows damage faster than other types, unfortunately.

You're a beautiful girl with beautiful hair, but if you want /long/ hair, something might have to give in terms of your styling routine.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:33am

In addition to what's already been said, are you using silicone products?  (Anything in the ingredients of your products that ends in 'cone).  If you are, buildup can contribute to breakage as well after lots of cone use.  Clarifying once in awhile will fix that problem, and you can continue to use the silicones.  You can use a diluted vinegar rinse to do this (I use 1tablespoon in 1 cup of water...others here use more concentrated), poured over my head, then washed out.  You can also use a clarifying shampoo for the same purpose (use once every 2 weeks to once a month). 

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 2:21pm
If your hair is 3 inches longer than the last picture at your web site I'm sure it may not be what you had hoped for but I bet it looks great... Think you will be updating your site soon?  Good luck and stick with it, you'll get there.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 8:00pm

Sounds like my hair.  I dyed it monthly for a year and I also bleached it twice and dyed it within 2 days over the summer.  It's been over four months since I did anything to it but I still have some damage, and my hair has only grown about 3 inches in the past two years.  And most of that growth came in the past 4 months, after I stopped coloring it.

Although I've looked at your site and I think your hair is gorgeous, I know from experience (as you obviously do too) that it takes awhile for hair to recover.  Especially from chemical processes.  But I definitely say stop the blowdrying and the ironing, or at least don't do it as often.  There are plenty of natural ways to get the same results without the damage.

Good luck!

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 12:18am

Originally posted by Hal Hal wrote:

If your hair is 3 inches longer than the last picture at your web site I'm sure it may not be what you had hoped for but I bet it looks great... Think you will be updating your site soon?  Good luck and stick with it, you'll get there.

Thats the problem....Its not 3 inches from my last pictures...  It the same length and its been a year since I have taken those pics!

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 5:11pm

Looks great as it is.

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 5:34pm

Amber your hair has gotten much better in from the top photos to the bottom ones, once all the damaged hair is trimmed off, you will notice you hair getting back to normal again. You should possibly try a hair serum to protect your hair from the hot irons you use, i recommend a brand called Proclaim (which you can get at your local Sally's) its a frizz eliminating serum which you put onto wet hair, before you blow dry and is really good.  Proclaim also do a hot oil treatment which is also good.

Hope this helps!

x

GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 9:04pm
I personally think that your color and style is great, but if you want to make it long, I suggest you just keep trying. You don't have to stop, but try to cut down on irons, hair dryers, etc - wear your hair up!
Keep a healthy diet, avoid cones/sulfates, and all else I can say is good luck!
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 9:43am

GoldieLocks has a point when she suggests wearing your hair up. Perhaps you can make the "flatness" work for you instead of against you? Can you change "flat = ugly" to "flat = sleek and elegant"?

And I agree with everyone: your hair looks great. You have made wonderful progress.

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Viktoria Viktoria wrote:

GoldieLocks has a point when she suggests wearing your hair up. Perhaps you can make the "flatness" work for you instead of against you? Can you change "flat = ugly" to "flat = sleek and elegant"?

And I agree with everyone: your hair looks great. You have made wonderful progress.

Without the blowdryer and flatening iron my hair looks kinda wavy/thin/flat.  Its frizzy and unappealing....

I don't know what to do...I'm starting to think long hair just isn't gonna happen for me.

laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 3:51pm
I agree with Viktoria work with what you have and I think you have great hair.  The people with the full fluffy "big hair"  want a more flat less poofy style go figure.  By the way Amberjune do you use Linux because I am thinking of going with suse linux.  
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 8:08pm

Amber - Have you thought about extensions?  I use clip-on extensions to make the bottom of my hair fuller and longer.  I am waiting on a order of synth. hair from Plastikhaar because a lot of girls on the extension board have had amazing results.  I have been wearing clip-on extensions for two years now with no damage to my own hair.  Like you, I can not wait for my own hair to grow so I wear the extensions

Here is a couple of links for you:

http://www.plastikhaar.ch/wholesale/

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=34

Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 12:44am

I don't know if this is much help but, I began eating lots of fruit and vegetables, and started eating healthy foods. I take a multivitamin too and drink fruit juice.  I was sick and decided to start eating healthy food.  I have noticed that lately my hair is growing much faster than before and my fingernails are thicker too.

Maybe this could work for you too?

Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 9:50am

Kimbearly has a good suggestion, I think. I have no experience with extensions myself, but I can imagine it is less damaging than using heat and chemicals on your own hair. Perhaps it will do the trick and give you the fullness you crave?

I so much hope you don´t give up, there is really no reason to!

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
AmberJune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmberJune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 1:24pm

Just as a little update... I went and got my hair trimmed on June 3rd.  The stylist said that my hair was in better condition this time around.  My last trim was March 7... so that is almost an inch and a half.  .....On March 7 I was at 20 inches..and now i'm only at 20 and a 1/2.  My hair must not grow at the normal 1/2 inch a month....because I know she did not trim off a whole inch.

I'm not getting anywhere.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic