Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rinsing out relaxers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rinsing out relaxers
    Posted: April 20 2005 at 1:41pm
When you rinse out relaxers, do you have to use warm water? Because our hot water heater isn't working right now so we don't have any hot water but my mom is going to touch-up my hair today. Is it okay to just use cold water? 
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 2:38pm
I don't see why not, I think the warm water is more of a comfort thing. If you  can take the cold water go for it!

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 6:51pm
Cold water should be fine I think. Actually it helps to smooth down the hair cuticles.
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
mysweetevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysweetevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 10:20am
I have to say since my hairdresser washed my perm out with cold water my hair has not been the same.
sweet like honey!
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 11:18am

What happened? 

I ended up heating up water on the stove and using that to rinse and then finishing the rinsing with room temperature water from the tap.

mysweetevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysweetevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 1:46pm

The strangeness didnt happen immediately..... Why? I dont know.

But my hair has become less moisturized, brittle and the color is redder than before. I was told that lukewarm is the best to use. The cold water is supposed to make the lye react in a coating like way. That's why they never used cold water. But i had no choice, i was going to get overprocessed.

sweet like honey!
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 1:56pm
please wash out your relaxer with warm water. with warm water, its easier to get out all the relaxer. This is a relaxer rinse out not an ordinary wash day rinse out. The only time cold water could help is when you do it as a final rinse.
weaveitup^_^ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaveitup^_^ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by mysweetevie mysweetevie wrote:

The strangeness didnt happen immediately..... Why? I dont know.

But my hair has become less moisturized, brittle and the color is redder than before. I was told that lukewarm is the best to use. The cold water is supposed to make the lye react in a coating like way. That's why they never used cold water. But i had no choice, i was going to get overprocessed.

its because cold water seals the hair cuticle up, so when you rinse out the relaxer with cold water you can possibly trap some relaxer in the hairs and it can cause the hair to trap relaxer inside of it.

warm water keeps the cuticles open and the relaxer can rinse out better

Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 10:16pm

Sorry if I didn't explain. I use cold water (well, as cold as I can stand it) when I'm rinsing my hair normally, like conditioner out of my hair. I usually use warm water with my relaxers but I haven't tried it with cold water.

Sorry Layla, I don't want you to mess up your hair!!

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 10:17am

Don't worry I didn't mess up my hair. I heated up the water because I know when I'm washing stuff off of my hands or something it's easier to wash with warm water and cold makes stuff like shea butter get thick and hard so I didn't want it to make the relaxer get hard or anything.

sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2005 at 11:33am

I was always told that you should wash out your relaxer with very warm water and the conditioner should be washed out with cold water.  I've always done this.

I hear you mysweetevie, I had a hairdresser rinse my relaxer out with cold water and my hair came out really funky and stringy.  It took a loooonnnng time for my hair to get back to normal.

Edited by sugaplum
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic