Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pinchbraids/Open-Ended Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
purrmachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pinchbraids/Open-Ended Opinions
    Posted: April 21 2005 at 8:44am
I have thin, super-straight hair and i find that the pinch braids have to be as small as possible and match the color of my natural hair as best as possible.  So far, they've remained undetected at least as far as I know.  The only people who know I have them are my husband and my stylist!  Not even my sister or closest friends know.  Wearing the braids all the way at the top isn't an option for me as a I work in a somewhat conservative environment, and it isn't really the look I'm going for anyway.  But if you like the look, go for it!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 6:05am
Thanks, girls! I think I'm going to give it a whirl, then. :)
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 3:31am
There's no difference in damage or health between pinch and open-ended. TBH they're actually the same thing, only a pinchbraid is a specific kind of open-ended braid- one that is braided&tied with string. So yeah, putting pinchbraids on the top of your head will make no difference except in appearance. If you're having problems with visibility, I think it's a good option; it makes it obvious that you -intend- the braids to show, and that it's a style choice instead of an accident.

-Rae
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 9:44pm
Jenny, I can really only comment on aesthetics, but if you're going to add some funky colors next time around, why not have braids all the way up so you can have a funky style, too?  I think it has to do with the look you want.  When they're very finely-sectioned braids, they can look good all the way to the top.
ccross6032 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccross6032 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 8:01pm

hey jenny - for what it's worth, the only thing i can address here is that when heather did my pinch braids she went up pretty high on my head...and my hair in those braids (i took out a couple as my hair grows like a weed) is as good/healthy as it was before the install. i think if the pinch braids are small, there isn't really an issue with having roots showing and then a little bit of braid. it all looks like a short braid. also, i will say that i have really slick, slippery hair and not one braid came out on it's own.

cheryl

AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AfroPuffs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 7:23pm

In that part of your hair, I think full wefts blend better with your natural hair than individual extenstions.  There's a chance the wind will blow and all but a full weft is less detecteble.  So my opinion is at that part of your hair, glue or sew in a track to hide the pinch braids underneath and give yourself a better blend. 

Just experiment with different stuff until you get the blend you like.  I don't think your entire head has to be weaved the same way.   

Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 7:17pm
Go ahead...do it. If you don't like...then you'll know for next time and you'll never have to wonder!
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 7:13pm
I'm not sure I know what you mean for difference of open enders vs pinch braids.  I am definitely doing pinch braids all the way to the top every last bit of my hair included for my next install.  the only difference between that and my open enders  is I'm planning on smaller sectioning and not braiding as far down.

I mean clearly that's the difference but I don't know how it would effect the condition of your hair. I've never felt my hair in such good condition since I started chemically going wahoo as when Ifirst took out my openenders

I say do it!  But I'm biased cause i'm sure to be doing it soon.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 7:01pm
So I've been thinking.... There's one thing that always drives me batty about extensions (regardless of the application); it's that when the wind blows at all, the extensions become visible and the top of my hair sort of blows to the side or wherever (I have very thin, light, flyaway hair), no matter how much hair spray or styling I do.

So...I'm thinking that maybe I should just get the pinchbraids (or open-ended braids) done all the way to the top of my hair so they're completely visible. That way, I wouldn't have to worry about it blowing in the wind or whatever. Here's an example (this is the work of Heather from Atlanta, a HP affiliate):

And here's what my hair currently looks like (when it's not blowing in the wind):

Now, if I got pinchbraids or open-ended braids on the top, do you think that would enable my hair to grow better, or compromise its health? (Keeping in mind my hair's pretty thin on top.) And what's the advantage of open-ended over pinchbraids and vice versa on top?

I know I'm being a bit vague here...

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic