Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Q for Fusionistas, restranding?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BirdOfEden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q for Fusionistas, restranding?!?!?!
    Posted: April 22 2005 at 3:50pm
I condition near my roots (I know it's a no-no, but I HAVE to because my natural hair is SOOOO dry).  So now it's been a little over a month, and my bonds are starting to get a little sticky and less hard, and my fusion strands are starting to slip off.  They come off intact, with the glue part still there, it just seems like my natural hair has slipped through them.  My question is, have any of you re-applied the strands as is?  I guess it would almost be like applying stick hair, but you'd be reheating the bond that you made at your previous install.  Maybe i'd add a bit more glue.  I think I'm going to try this.  I'm not doing a full install until next month when I have my hair dyed, so in the meantime I just want to put back in the strands that have come out.  In theory, seems like it would work.  I guess I'll try it out and post how it goes.  Anyone else ever done this?
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 8:17pm
I think I would just remove the rest of the old bond and put it in again. The oil would still be in the remaining bond and I think it would take just a min to remove and start fresh
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 8:20pm
Mmm thats a hard one.  You could try purging them but that might not work.  Also if you apply more glue then you may end up with large, clumpy bonds. Wound shrinkies or microrings work? by holding the hair in place till your next install? But then that would depend on the size of your bonds. Oh this is a hard one.  Anyone have any suggestions?
shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 8:21pm

Good point Marie. The only thing with that though is you may loss alot of the hair Bird

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 9:29pm

Bird - if your hair is so dry then you dont need to wash that often.  once a week is recommended.

(edited for spelling)

Edited by Kalika

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 1:28am
I only wash it every 3 days, can't go longer or it doesn't style right.  Anyhow, tried restranding and it worked pretty well.  I left the original glue on and purged with the heat tool as if I were applying stick hair.  I didn't add any new glue.  I was kind of worried about the oil still being on the original bonds, but the purging must have disintegrated it.  I was left with a nice hard bond, and it was even a bit skinnier than the original bond!
hairraisin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairraisin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 6:11am

Bird,

a couple of my fusion extensions fell out so I tried an experiment yesterday.

With one extension (the whole pretipped) I just reheated with the DrLocks heat want. The other pretipped strand that fell out, I heated with a shrinkie directly over the fusion part. The one with the shrinkie over it looks great, although it took forever to heat. The pretip strand that I applied with just heat came out flat and looks detectable. It was just an experiment that I tried, of course the hair will probably be a bitch to come off, and my hair will fall out, but I wanted to try it.

Did you roll the restrand after you heated it? Mine was flat as a pancake. (The one without the shrinkie) I had a rough time threading the hair in the shrinkie with that needle. I really don't know how people can do a whole head. I have to go back to the tuturials again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 8:55am
Yes, I re-rolled the fusion restrand.  It turned out pretty good all in all.  I expected a lot worse.  I don't use shrinkies because I tried them once and the residue was a *%$^$% to get out.  I like fusion so much because of how the glue dissolves and breaks up into almost nothing.  In my opinion, it's almost effortless to remove. 
elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 1:34pm

I'm still trying how to figure out how to get my natural hair and the shrinkie (using the needle) to not bunch all up. I'm stumped! The shrinkie method seems like an extra added step compared to the fusion, but I am going to keep practicing. What kind of glue are you using for fusion? Keratin?

I'm not even close to thinking about the removal yet. That will be saved for another day. Sure is fun messing around with different installation and pretipping methods so far.

Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 2:09pm

I know what you mean elvira.I have the same problem.Thats the only thing I cant seem to get the hang of.I also have the doctored locks regular threading needle which is crazy small.But I think I'll go to walmart and pick up a regular latch hooker(which is the same thing). Has anyone tried a regular latch hook,lol? Cause I tried floss,and all sorts of wacky things with little success.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 2:17pm

Elvira,

I use the X-10 keratin from Kristin's website.  I love it!

elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 2:56pm

Eden- cool, I have some of those Keratin's from Kristens that I haven't taken out of the package yet. What did you pretip with? Did you use the gluegun or the melting pot.

LHD- your gonna really like this one. I just got so fed up with trying to fit the hair and needle and pretip together so I tried something else. I CUT the shrinkie lengthwise (the long shrinkie) with a small pair of scissors. Then, I placed the pretip in back of my real hair and opened up the shrinkie flat and wrapped it around the pretip and real hair and then I took the heat wand and heated it together. It worked!

hairraisin- you should try this too. It still took me awhile to get my fingers working properly, but it was way neater than having bunched up hair, and way quicker too!

solution- screw the needle. E.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 3:01pm

Elvira,

I don't pretip.  It seems too time consuming to me.  I don't see a reason for it when fusion is already so easy.  I was using the glue gun but I heard that the dipping in a hot pot saturates the hair with glue better so I started using that.  But now I am going back to the glue gun because the hot pots don't heat up the glue enough. It ends up solidifying before you're ready.

elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 3:14pm

Not sure I follow. If you don't pretip, do you buy the hair pretipped or are you just taking bulk hair and placing it with your own hair and fusing them together? Need to know! E.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 3:22pm
I don't pre-tip hair and I don't buy hair that is already pre-tipped.  I usually cut hair from a weft,  but I'm getting ready to buy bulk hair because it comes in longer lengths.  I do regular fusion, no pretips whatsoever.
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 10:17pm

Thats a great idea elvira.Sounds like it cuts down  on time too. I will definitely try that.

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 11:24pm
For getting hair through the shrinkie, I usually take the section I need, then twist it, then pull it through.  for some reason that works better then if I leave it loose.
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 6:57am
Congratulations Long
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 7:16am

Thanks for pointing that out Amanda.......DUH Im a blonde!!!!

Longhairdreams.....CONGRATS!!!!!!

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 7:33am
Congratulations! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic