Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Color Disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Color Disaster
    Posted: April 23 2005 at 7:13pm

So, I first joined this board because I had a haircutting nitemare.  5 months later, it's grown about 4 inches.  BUT, I just had coloring done.  Blonde hair is generally a few different colors, so I was trying ot get it to be one.  Now, my scalp is red, my hair is the color of dirt... as well as orangy by the roots and someone told me they even see green.  Anyone have any advice?

One thing I have to admit... bad hair coloring is not quite as upsetting as getting too much chopped off.  Although.. the tears were still there...  Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nekita

Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 8:23pm

First of all, I'm amazed at how fast your hair grows!

As for the coloring thing, that happened to me a few times last year.  I don't know what color you were going for, but what ended up helping me was using two boxes of my desired color (if you use drugstore dye- I don't know how many that would be at a salon)-  one for the top and one for the bottom.  I put all my hair on top of my head once I got the dye on and left it there for about 20 minutes, and when I rinsed it out my hair was all one color.

I hope this helps.  Good luck to you!

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 12:21am

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.  I'm pretty new to the coloring thing.  This was professionally messed up.  I'm not sure how to do the coloring myself, but it couldn't be much worse than this.  I used to use sun-in, until I learned how bad it was for hair, but I'm thinking of getting some just to make it lighter for now. 

-Nekita

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 7:46am
No, don't do Sun-In. That can wreck even healthy hair, and it's definitely not intended to fix color mistakes.

Go back to the salon and make them fix it. It's their fault, they should make good on it.

Otherwise, you should probably leave it for a month to see how much the color will fade. A demipermanent color will help cover the mess without causing further damage.
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 9:14am

Okay, I won't get the Sun-In.  Although I was very tempted.

What do you think of this.  I spoke to someone yesterday (a hairdresser) that said to use laundry detergent to try to get some of the color out.  I think it worked a little.  Or maybe it's wishful thinking.  I'm sure that's very damaging.  Curious about your opinion.

I went back to the place that messed me up and they wanted me to sign a release form for them to fix it in case fixing it made all my hair fall out.  Great, huh?  That wasn't going to happen.  So, I made them give me my money back and I'm never going back there, or possibly anywhere else.  I think I'm done with cuts and coloring.  Too many tears, too many times.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 9:43am
Some people say dishwashing liquid, but household cleaning agents can be very hard on the hair. I think you should deep condition and oil with jojoba, then give it a month to see how it looks. At that point you'll have some virgin roots coming in, and a colorist who specializes in fixing mistakes can give you a better idea of what can and can't be done.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 7:19am
One reason you may have had a problem is because your hair was so light (if it was still as white as in your avatar?).  Not to say the salon didn't screw up, because they still should have known that and been able to do a better job, but anyway the point I'm making is since your hair is so porous, color depositing shampoos may be for you.  If you don't mind being a redhead or ashy brunette, I used to get one called Complements (I don't know if they make that one anymore, but I know they make other color depositors) that would stick well to my porous dyed over, bleached white hair...and make it look relatively normal for a few months until it fades.  They build up with application, so after a week or so you'll notice a difference.  The instructions usually say to alternate it with your regular shampoo, but if you use it every time the color builds up more and more (which is better if you want to hide something). 

There are some annoying things about it.  For instance, the one I used was shampoo and conditioner combined, and to keep the pigment from washing out I didn't want to condition after I used it, so my hair was knottier than usual because I was used to coating my hair with 'cones.   But I suggest it anyway because it sounds like it may be an option for you since you want your hair long and don't want to dye it so much (they don't really stick well like that to hair that hasn't been dyed much).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 9:52pm

So, a woman at work today told me that if you dye naturally blonde hair with an ashy color, it will turn the hair green.  If only I had known that ahead of time.  This was my first experiment with haircoloring.  I've gotten highlites twice.  I'm very new to this whole thing.

My hair was definitely very light (the sun made it look lighter in that pic).  And I guess the Sun-In use of the past made it damaged.  I would think a professional colorist would know better than to turn it green tho!!!  When the green goes away, maybe I'll try that shampoo, but I wouldn't want ash or red.  Is there one that works for blondes?

laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 10:05pm
I can't believe a professional would make a mistake like that,  thats too bad.    What color is your hair naturally?  Mine is a reddish brown with some blonde highlights and I was thinking of coloring it dark brown,  but I am learning to like the color and it's less maintinance that way.  Good luck for next time.
Nekita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nekita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 6:35am

My hair has had that sun-in look for so long, that I wasn't really sure what color it really was.  Naturally blonde, but I guess it was growing in dirty blonde before this happened.

Your natural color sounds beautiful.  Ya know... I think that if you're considering dark brown, use one of those kits that washes out in 2 weeks.  I did that with red in college and thanked my lucky stars every day I did that.  2 Weeks isn't a long time to deal with.  And it will let you know if you really want to do it permanently.

SUSAN W: What was that you said about conditioner taking out color?  If that really works, I think I'm going to condition my hair 5 times a day for the next few weeks to get this green/dirt color out.  If you don't mind, I'd love to hear back on this one.

-Nekita

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 7:03am
They make a shampoo for blondes, but it's violet and for toning down hair that is too brassy or yellow.  I wouldn't recommend that one in this situation.

You said at the top your hair was the color of dirt and had orange roots, and that people can see some green, but now you sound more worried about the green.  Conditioners tend to make reds slide out pretty fast so that would help with the orange, but I don't think that will do much for green.  The dishwashing liquid or mixing baking soda half and half with some of your shampoo may work better than conditioning a lot.  You will have to DEEP condition after those though, it is very drying for your hair (I'd suggest putting fatty mayonnaise on your hair after that for an hour, then washing it out and conditioning as usual for deep moisturizing...don't use low fat mayo, or miracle whip). 

Good luck.  The good thing about chemical dyes (as opposed to something like henna) is there's always redying it, but that will be more damaging for someone who wants to grow it long.  You would have to strand test it to make sure you got what you wanted and it didn't get more damaged than you want it to be.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 8:48am

Hello Nekita!

I am new to the board and have never had the problem of green tints, probably because I always throw brassy tones and I have never attempted to dye my lightened hair dark by myself. I do remember though a girl in my high-school used loads of Sun-In to bleach her naturally light-brown/dirty-blonde hair to a yellowy white, I would say probably a Level 10 or 11. I was surprised that the Sun-In could actually turn her hair that light, but I guess if you are an ash-base naturally and not too dark to begin with, it can with repeated use. Well, come fall she tried to rectify the damage and dye her hair back to its natural color. I did not know her so I cannot tell you what she used to try and color it back, but i know it literally looked pale swampy green! I am guessing she just went and bought a box of haircolor that she thought was her natural (which would have been ashy) and threw this over the Sun-In and VOILA! green hair. I think after another attempt and an even deeper lovely moss tone, she finally had it fixed professionally. A few other people I know also did the Sun-In thing, but they got orange hair instead.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic