Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color is lighter on top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Color_Diva928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Color_Diva928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color is lighter on top
    Posted: April 25 2005 at 8:03am

Hello!  I'm noticing that my hair color on the top of my head is getting progressively lighter than the rest of the hair.  My natural color is dark brown, but I have my hair professionally colored a medium to light auburn w/ golden blonde highlights.  My colorist tells me that this is normal, and it's from the sun.  I, however, do not spend much time in the sun at all, so this doesn't really make sense to me.  Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what are my options to rectify it?

Thanks!

akiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 5:19pm
I'm not a professional, but this doesn't sound like sun exposure. I, too, have dark hair and I colored mine auburn. older hair (ie hair towards the bottom) tends to be much more porous and to 'grab onto' color more fiercely.

My guess is that as your auburn is fading (reds fade fast) the underlying lighter hair is being exposed (before laying down the red over your dark brown, your dark brown would probably have to be 'lifted' to a slightly lighter color or else the red wouldn't show) and that this is happening more quickly at your roots than your ends.

But, of course, I can't be certain. i've had very similary experiences with my hair. I'm also not quite sure what to do about it beyond touching up the red color at the roots.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...
Color_Diva928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Color_Diva928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 3:55pm

Thanks for your reply, Akiz!

To Innamorata Italiana:  I know that you're a stylist, so, I'm curious to see what advice/thoughts you have to offer.   Thanks!

Edited by Color_Diva928
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic