Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damaged Facial Skin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damaged Facial Skin
    Posted: April 25 2005 at 6:10pm
Can Exfoliants help with dark spots on the skin? Or can a cream help?

I have a few dark patches of dry/dark skin (very small) due to occasional pimples, (ACK I did pick at em!) and I dont' know how to get rid of them.

Even my makeup cant' really mask them, they show up under the foundation and it annoys me, I always think I have dirt on my face! LOL

I could go in for a lazer peel but I can't afford it nor do I really think that is safe. Can any at home remedy help, slough off dead skin?

~Bambi~
~* Bambi Lee *~
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 9:11am

Hi Bambi

I have a similiar problem and have been to numerous dermatologists over my 25 years I do not have bad acne by any means, but when I do get a zit (usually around my period) it is cystic and stays FOREVER, then I get a mark that sometimes lasts for months! It stinks but unfortunately this is what happens to those of us with more melanin in our skin. I am white of Scandinavian and Dutch/German descent, but I have a light to medium complexion that is yellow-based rather than blue or red-based. I tan very well without getting red and rarely burn, which is an indicator of how much melanin you have in your skin. My doctors have said this basically means superficial damage from zits or cuts will leave a brownish or dark tan mark that can take up to 6 months to clear up on its own. The good news is Retin-A can help clear these up faster, so if you can, try to get a prescription or high-tail it to Mexico where you can buy it over the counter!  Nothing except drastic measures like an glycolic acid peel or dermabrasion will be a quick fix, even Retin-A can take a month or so before you see improvement. WORD TO THE WISE THOUGH:I do know that if you tan at all, try and cover the marks with concealer with sunscreen because sun exposure will only DARKEN these marks. I have found that tanning moderately but covering the marks usually blends them in and the marks look less noticeable. Hope this helps, I know these pesky marks have always driven me crazy.

Edited by norskygrl21
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 1:02pm
Oh my god thank you so much. I tried to find other people who had a problem but most people I know have serious ACNE problems and I don't by all means. I do not burn in the sun very often, and if I do it is only in certian spots. I am of German/Scottish/Indian decent so I have rather a similar skin color as you've described. Maybe that is my problem I have alot of  melanin. Hmmm... do you use a special kind of colored foundation that helps?
I've used so many different colors trying to find the perfect blend, but can't really find one. Classic Ivory I use merely cause it covers well and isn't too dark, it is rather light compared to my skin color but I like that. LOL I've settled on using Almay Sand, it's a little TOO dark but a light powder lightens it a bit. But you can still spot those little dark patches. :(

I think I could live with them, thier isn't very many, maybe two or three (I always get those god damn zits around my mouth and chin.) But thank you so much for the help. I think I will try the sunscreen thing this summer. I don't need them darker!!!

~* Bambi Lee *~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 2:08pm

Hello Bambi

Glad I could help. I use the Vincent Longo Liquid Canvas Foundation w/ Dewy Finish. Awesome foundation, medium coverage and makes skin look amazing but it is very expensive. Use with a foundation brush, not your fingers. Can be found at Sephora or Barneys. My shade is "Natural" but they also have a shade that is called "Sand Beige" which would probably be my color if I wasn't quite so dark (I just got back from St. Thomas.) To answer your question, a foundation alone will probably not be enough to cover these spots, I recommend a cream concealer (MAC makes a good one in a little pot) and they have a zillion shades so you can match it up perfectly. If your skin is flawless otherwise ( you look young so it probably is!) then skip foundation and just use the pot concealer on the marks.

Another thing I forgot to mention. Retin-A is also great for sloughing off skin and can get rid of superficial damage caused by the sun. A lot of women also use it for anti-aging since it is proven to reduce fine lines and age spots, stretch marks, etc. HOWEVER, if you do use it, there is a good chance it will increase your sensitivity to the sun, which in turn can increase your risk of skin cancer. NEVER TAN OR GO OUT IN THE SUN IF YOU HAVE IT ON YOUR FACE. Always wash your face before UV exposure, even if you use Retin-A before bed (which most people do.) Hope this answers any questions.

Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 12:58pm
Your awesome tahnk you.
The makeup you just spoke of I most likely can not get due to the fact I have no Sephora nor do I have a Barneys.. Lets just say WALMART and SEARS. LOL

My skin can stay pretty flawless for a while, I do get the occasional blemish here and there.
What is a foundation brush and where can i get one? What does it look like?

~Bambi~
~* Bambi Lee *~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 1:30pm

Hello Bambi!! (and whoever else is reading this painfully long post)

A foundation brush looks like a cross between a blush brush and a paint brush! It has flat bristles and you use it to apply either liquid or cream foundation. 

Just so you know, you can order tons of things off the Sephora website and they are awesome about returns if you get the color and do not like it or it does not match. But if you do not want to spend that much on foundation or do not have access to department stores, I also recommend Loreal Tru-Match foundation. I have it in the Warm Level 4 and I really like it.  

I would recommend getting a foundation brush in a natural bristle, but if you are a member of PETA or a vegetarian and do not use animal by-products you can also find them with synthetic bristles. My brush is from Sephora (you can order it on-line ) and it is the Smashbox natural bristle foundation brush, #13. You can use this brush with other foundations too, but some foundations go on better with brushes than others, so if you buy a professional foundation ask the person at the counter what application they recommend. I know Stila recommends using your fingers, while some brands strongly discourage that because too much foundation is generally applied and because you can have bacteria and oils on your fingers that you are rubbing in your skin then. I personally have found that when you use a brush you use less and it look more natural. Let me know if you need any other suggestions or if you have any other questions, I am a bit of a makeup connoisseur!

Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 4:15pm
Thank you once more. Ur very handy. I was never taught to put make up on. I had to teach myself.

I will look into a foundation brush. I like Loreal' I will try that.. Tru-Math, I've looked at it a few times but have kinda passed it by.

I really like Almay's Nearly Naked but it doesn't work enough to COVER any blemishes so I only use it when my skin feels like being good.

I have always applied foundation with my fingers. I've tried sponges and even my ol'blush brush, (i'll try anything once. LOL) but I liked neither and well a blush brush.. is for blush. LOL.

My boyfriend complains that I apply too much or I don't blend it and it looks like I wear too much makeup. I am using Almay Clear Complexion. I like it cause it does actually keep ur complexion clean, however it drys rather quickly and I can't blend it fast enough to make my skin appear smooth. So I takes a long time or quite a bit of foundation to spread it around.

So since ur a makeup connoisseur.... I had a question about eyeliner but nobody wanted to help. Perhaps I was confusing them.
Do you put the eyeliner right in the rim of ur bottom lid or along the lash line?
Either or my eyeliner ends up bleeding everywhere and I look like a racoon. (I liked Rimmel EXTRAVAGANT but it costs too much so I use cheap-ol' Bonne Bell black Ink.) I am terribly obessed with heavy dark liner but do not want to end up looking like a racoon at the end of the day as I usually end up doing.
Thankies, U ROCK!

~* Bambi Lee *~
xoxsn0whitexox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xoxsn0whitexox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 12:07pm
hey you should try Mac makeup if there isnt one near you go to maccosmetics.com I use the studio tech, and it covers EVERYTHING!!!!!! i have spots too from the same thing both of you had and this covers everything. It is the best makeup, I have tried everything from Clinique to walmart brands...it costs more but is definately worth it..you get a nice even skin tone! hope this helps, they also have the brush u can get from them...
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 2:53pm

I've got the same shopping problem.  If you're looking for coverage from Almay, I really like the Kinetin foundation.  It's $11

Good Luck

Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by xoxsn0whitexox xoxsn0whitexox wrote:

hey you should try Mac makeup if there isnt one near you go to maccosmetics.com I use the studio tech, and it covers EVERYTHING!!!!!! i have spots too from the same thing both of you had and this covers everything. It is the best makeup, I have tried everything from Clinique to walmart brands...it costs more but is definately worth it..you get a nice even skin tone! hope this helps, they also have the brush u can get from them...

Where can one purcharse MAC?
~* Bambi Lee *~
ckizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 11:15pm
hey Bambilee-- i know there are a lot of good foundations that can cover up scars or marks from acne-- but if you would like to greatly diminish the mark and color of the scar and let it fade into your skin tone, use Neosporin-- it can be found at any local Longs, Walgreens, Walmart, you name it-- u put it on at night and after a couple of days the scar really begins to fade-- it's really good. it also prevents bacteria from clogging up that same pore by healing the skin. it costs about 10 $.
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 8:35pm
Can that work for stretch marks!?
~* Bambi Lee *~
Kimberly D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberly D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2005 at 2:23am
I dunno about Neosporin on the face; yes, it's antibacterial, but it isn't
made to be used on the face for the purpose of killing acne bacteria. Try
a 5% benzoyl peroxide gel, it's made for your face, and it's an
antibacterial. I use a prescription called Benza Clin (a mix of benzoyl
peroxide and clindamycin) which disinfects, and a prescription called
Diffren gel, which exfoliates so that the disinfecting stuff gets to where it
needs to go, into the pores! I haven't had a zit in over a year, and my
chin used to be a BIG problem, too.

I really recommend "The Beauty Bible" & "Don't Go to the Cosmetics
Counter Without Me" by Paula Begoun. To get an idea of what she does,
go to www.cosmeticscop.com
and read a few of her suggestions & reviews of products. She looks past
the claims and promises of advertisements, and bases her opinions on
non-biased medical research (not labs hired by the cosmetics company to
give a glowing review!).

As for stretch marks, she has a good article about them,The Skinny on Stretch Marks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic