Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glue Recommends for Pre-Tipping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glue Recommends for Pre-Tipping
    Posted: April 30 2005 at 3:29am
Once a strong supporter of Liquid Gold (I now only use it as a topcoat for extra hold), I switched to Proclaim Super Bond and was in latex heaven. Now I found something I like even better:

Aleen's is white and dries clear. I can store all my tips together and touching and they don't glom onto each other like they do with latex. It sets up in almost half the time as latex and dries nice and firm. And the price is exceptional.
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 5:31am
Hey there chick, that sounds exactly like my household glue I've been using.  It rocks xx
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 8:27am
Hmm. Looks interesting. How's the smell? Heat resistance? How does it appear to handle once in a shrinkie?
Naomi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 8:29am

Whilst I can't guarantee success.....I have been experimenting with clear waterproof furniture varnish (maybe known as lacquer in the US?) as it comes in a tin that means you can dip the tip into. I cut the tip, dip into the varnish and leave it on the edge of the table to dry.

I have used these tips with shrinkies and PH and have not lost any, even after washing....

For all of you who like experimenting, it might be worth a try.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 11:20am
Hi Naomi, does this transfer into the hair though, what about shedding issues x
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by FinaFina FinaFina wrote:

Hmm. Looks interesting. How's the smell? Heat resistance? How does it appear to handle once in a shrinkie?

No smell unless your nose is right in the bottle. And even then, you need to take a big whiff. I may have to huff a little more just to make sure, though.

I just tested completely cured tips this afternoon. Totally heat resistant. Works great under a shrinkie and even pressing the wand down on the naked tip on the highest heat setting, absolutely nothing melts or transfers to the wand.

I'm sold.
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:34pm
Gravy Amm!  Oh and...huffings bad for you...I'd hate to see such talent go to waste!  Just another junkie statistic 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 8:56am
I'm sold Amm, please can you supply me this with my shrinkie orders ?
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 9:35am
Heck, it's less than two bucks. Next time I'm sending something your way, I'll toss it in for free. :)
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 10:13am
I guess my question is, do you think your shrinkies have enough adhesive in them to use alone with this, or are you still going to do a little LG layer? I've just had such bad luck with shrinkies not sticking if I don't use LG.

Also where did you find this fabulous product ? ?

Thanks,
Fina

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 11:49am

Well I've just done four clients with Amm's shrinkies and regular household glue, black and clear shrinkies and I must say they do respond really well and seem a lot harder when cool to the doc's.  I suppose only time will tell but I think we're onto a winner here, thanks so much Amm.

Amm - Can you get me say five bottles.  I'll put an extra $10 in with my next shrinkie order and put a remind in about the glue xxx Let me know if the $10 is enough, I'm happy to pay more. 

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 10:38pm
Amm I just tipped about 100 strands this evening with the Aleenes glue that you posted....what a charm! I also tried the Aleenes Fast Grab tacky glue and that worked like a dream too....
msfitns72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msfitns72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 3:45am

Hi, Everyone

I've been reading the boards for quite awhile now and have my first few questions! I am getting ready to have my hair done in 2 weeks with shrinkies for the first time. Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way about hairlocs, as I am a licensed Hairlocs stylist who absolutely HATES the method! (did I say that with my out loud voice?) lol. After I nearly lost all of my OWN hair wearing them...and seeing my clients have major damage as well, I have quit doing them. But my ex-partner has decided to try the shrinkies. I will be the first "ginuea pig!" Since we still have our hairlocs certification and know the hairlocs color ring so well, we are ordering the hair for to use on me from them. (It is actually really nice hair.) So here is the question: They wont tell us what they use to pre-tip their "sticks" of hair. I dont believe it is a glue...or at least not ALL glue. It is somewhat flexible like...a wax??? if that makes sense. But I am soooo nervous about it leaving a major residue along with the adhesive in the shrinkie! Do you think it would be ok to use the hairlocs pretip hair with Amm's shrinkies? I know there will be SOME residue...but my God...I dont want another NIGHTMARE! My hair is darkest brown, shoulder length,baby fine, but has quite a bit of body to it and we are putting in 150 strands to add 5-6 inches. Any recommendations to make this a successful install is GREATLY appreciated! I am very near Atlanta....so I am thinking about pinchbraids in the near future. I have several  photoshoots coming up and need my hair to look it's best! Which method would be best to wear longer term? (with maintenance of course!) Thanks so much for any advice!

~Denise

Edited by msfitns72
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 5:08am
Welcome, Denise.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people come here telling nightmare stories about hairlocs. I was told that I was the only one! LOL.

Anyway, I know that waxy bond you're talking about. I was told the it was a "keratin wax," and I'm not sure if it would melt into the hair or not (I do think it would when heated, though). It may be that you need to cover the hairlocs bond with a layer of something that's more heat-resistant for use with shrinkies. I'm sure others will have some idea of what you might be able to use. Those waxy bonds actually shed a lot for me (when installed with the hairlocs method), but that was really the least of my problems witn it.

I think shrinkies and pinchbraids are both good methods--each being far superior to hairlocs. The advantage of the shrinkies, imo, is that they're an easier method to learn and less detectable. The advatange of pinchbraids, imo, is that there's no glue residue at all and they're very secure in the hair.

For shrinkies, I would recommend ordering both the shrinkies and remover from shrinkies.net and the double-sided heat clamp from Doc's. For pinchbraids, if you don't have experience installing them, there's a Hairpolice-trained woman named Heather in Atlanta who's received excellent reviews.

Good luck! :)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 5:37am
maybe a layer of LG over the tips would be a good idea. Amm is the shrinkie and pretip queen around here, maybe she will suggest something!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 6:02am
Ahhhh Hairlocs. I know that animal well. The best hair I ever got was from them, though. It lasted a good year and I still have some of it saved.

The Hairlocs tips don't look any different than the 909 Remy Flashpoint from hairpiece.com. It is kind of a waxy bendable material. I never had them turn sticky under a shrinkie so perhaps the Hairlocs hair would perform the same way.

I tried something new this last install and put a coat of LG on last. When the shrinkie was applied, it also meshed with the LG under the tube so I think it really gave it some extra hold. Beyond the initial one I lost the same day, I haven't lost a shrinkie yet and I'm approaching 2 weeks post PH install.

TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 12:41pm

hairlocs hair does really well under the shrinkies- i just did  a switchout with them and they were great, i even had to take one out just to see and the only residue left was from shrinkie. the other nice thing is when you take the shrink and hair out, the hair is intact and doesnt need to be heated and spinned.

amms shrinks are outstanding! the black and the clear are both great- however, i prefer the black.

hope this helps.

msfitns72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msfitns72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 3:06pm

Thanks so much, Everyone!

You ladies are the absolute BEST! I really appreciate the suggestions. I will try the liquid Gold ona few and a few just by themselves and see how it goes. As far as hairlocs hair....yes, I have tried using hair from a few other places with crappy results! Hairlocs went through an ownership change awhile back and there was a period of them sending some REALLY horrible hair! Lately, the hair seems to be of great quality...but the customer service SUCKS!  When you order the hair, they tell you EVERY time that they are "backed up" with orders...then they charge you OVERNIGHT shipping fees even though it takes 2-3 weeks to get the hair! It's such bull. I have searched high and low for another QUALITY pre-tipped hair source.....no luck. Most pre-tipped hair from other places just doesnt last. I believe it is just highly processed to resemble "euro" hair....but then after 2  weeks, it's crap! If someone would source  good quality raw hair and PRE-TIP it FOR SALE....whoa! They would make a killin! If anyone knows of a source.....PLEASE, DO TELL!   Thanks again, Ladies!

~ Denise

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 3:36pm
You might want to try Extensions-Plus http://extensions-plus.com/, Denise. People seem to really like their software hair, and I believe they offer pretipped, as well. I know that stylists get a discount, too.

You and AMM must've gotten better hair than I got from hairlocs. Mine was OK, but definitely not best-quality hair by any means. It tangled quite a bit and got frizzy (I wonder if this is when the ownership change took place, hmmm....).

:)
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 9:09pm

EP hs some very good hair- i have just tried it. the tips are a bit longer then hairlocs so all i did was snip the ends. They installed perfect and so far so good.

they do discount if u are a professional send them an email and fax your liscense. The do not however do custom blending on pre tipped hair on bulk they do.  They have standard colors and a good aray of colors to choose from and the hair is already pre made and packaged in a package of 25 stands per pack.

it comes in 3 days MAX. (so they say) i got mine real quick, and shipping is around 15 or 20 dollars.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic