Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeia’s Falls FAQ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leia1979 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leia’s Falls FAQ
    Posted: April 30 2005 at 12:13pm
I'm putting this up per Jenny's request...I sent it to Karen, but didn't hear back (she's a very busy woman, after all).  Feel free to ask other questions or add to it!

Falls are an easy way to change your hairstyle.  You can add length or change your hair's color or texture in just a few moments.

How long does my hair have to be to wear falls?

Generally you need to be able to get most of your hair into a ponytail or pigtails.  You need to provide a solid base for the fall without putting too much stress on your real hair.

How do falls attach to my hair?

Falls come in a variety of styles, including:

Banana clip 

claw (butterfly) clip

drawstring

comb

elastic

lace

The clip methods are probably the easiest as they simply snap shut around your ponytail.  Drawstring falls often have a comb anchor and are pulled tight around the ponytail or bun.  Bobby pins may also be used for extra stability.

To attach an elastic-mounted fall, feed the elastic underneath the base of your ponytail (right next to the scalp) so the fall is above the ponytail and the elastic is poking out below.  The small knob at the top of the fall should be between your ponytail and your scalp, hidden by your hair.  Take the free end of the elastic and wrap it around your ponytail.  Arrange the fall to cover your real hair or wrap your hair around the base of the combined fall and ponytail for added height and support.  Bobby pins can also help support the fall and arrange the hair.  Ponyfalls don’t have to look like ponytails (or pigtails).  Experiment, add accessories, the possibilities are endless!

Can I make my own falls?

Sure.  You can make a wide variety of falls without paying much.  Elastic mounted falls are the easiest, but it is also possible to make clip or lace-mounted falls.

Elastic falls can use any kind of bulk hair--your choice.  You can use anything from jumbo braid to doll curls to braids to dreadlocks! Do note that silky kanekalon isn't the best choice because that kind of hair is very fine and flat.  Also, human hair probably isn't a good choice either because if it has any cuticle left, it will get tangled.  Most bulk human hair will also be too short, because you have to fold the hair in half.

To make one elastic ponyfall you need two sturdy elastics (I like the braided elastic kind with no metal bar) and about ½ to ¾ inch diameter amount of bulk hair (thickness is a matter of personal preference).  Fold the length of hair in half (this is why long synthetic is good) so you have a loop at the top (1). 

Take the first elastic and pass one end through the loop of hair (2) and back to the top (so the hair hangs from the elastic) (3), then feed one end of the elastic through the other and pull tight (4, 5). 

You should have a loop of elastic around your finger, and the rest of the elastic should be holding the hair in a tight bundle.  Keep tension on the elastic loop so it doesn’t come undone (you can pass the free end under the rest of the elastic a second time for extra security, if you like).  Now if you pull the hair straight down from the elastic, you’ll get a little knob of hair at the top. 

Wrap the second elastic around this knob of hair the same way you’d use an elastic to put your hair in a ponytail.  Make sure it’s really tight--you don’t want any hair to slip out.  You should now have a ponytail with a small knob (around an inch in diameter) with an elastic loop sticking out of the top.  If you like, you can take some scissors or a razor to shape the ends of the fall.  I would suggest trying the fall on your head before you do any cutting, though.

That’s easy!  You can even go back and undo the elastics if you want to add or remove hair from the fall.  Just be sure to make the little knob at the top of the fall as small as possible, since you have to hide it under your real hair, and a large knob pressing on your scalp can be uncomfortable.

A banana clip or claw clip fall should be made using weft hair.  Sew the wefts to a netting base and then attach the base to the clip.  These may take some practice, and it's a good idea to examine one that's already made to figure out how to construct one.

How do I care for my falls?

That depends on the type of hair.  In general, always carefully comb or brush them after you take them out of your hair (except with curly falls).  Store them in such a way that they won’t get tangled.  I hang mine on a row of hooks mounted to the wall.  With long straight falls (especially elastic ponyfalls) you can also loosely braid the hair and store it in a bag.  Falls don’t need to be washed often, but if you choose to wash them, use cold water and mild shampoo.  Washing can sometimes help restore curly falls, especially if the curls have become separated.  You might also consider using Febreeze on synthetic falls.

You’ll find greater detail on how to care for the various types of extension hair within the hair extension forum.

Edited by leia1979
mtolady View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 3:21pm
wow...clapping for leia!! how about some pix??? i'm kinda confused on the first elastic....is it a slipknot kinda thing?
has someone been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool again?
Gina E View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 4:56pm
Yeah..I don't understand the first elastic either. Are you saying to make a lark's head knot with the hair around the rubberband?
leia1979 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 10:56pm
Yeah, I had a really hard time explaining it without pictures.  And I have no idea what one knot is called versus another.  I want to add pics, just haven't had time. 

Okay...back in a moment w/pics

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 10:59pm
This is awesome, Leia. I'm in the process of updating everything this weekend. I haven't heard from Karen in a while, so I'm assuming she's on vacation or something and will be able to create stickies out of all the kiosks when she gets back. :)
Gina E View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 12:05am

Thank you Thank you Leia!  

(Yeah, its a larks head)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic