Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fabric softener to water ratio?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fabric softener to water ratio?
    Posted: April 30 2005 at 5:45pm
Can someone who wears synth help me out? I have a jug o' fabric softener and a squirt bottle (purple - because that makes ALL the difference!). Whats the of water to softener that you use?

While not tangly, these curls are unruly and the Revlon synth spray I got yesterday does not rock. Also, it smells like old lady perfume. I am thinking of putting some kind of scent in it.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 6:18pm
I mix only 10% fabric softener to 90% water in a spray bottle. That way, I can distribute it evenly throughout my head without ODing on it. :)
RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 6:21pm
You are always so helpful J, Thanks!
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 6:30pm
I do 3:1 water:softener for my spray bottle.

1:1 or just straight when I'm in the shower...
RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 6:58pm
How often are you spraying it on the synth? A few times a day?

I have old school velvet rollers that my best pal gave me a few years ago. Woot.
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 7:30pm
I'm spraying maybe once a day.  I use flasher two times or so a day

I love my velvet rollers!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 7:33pm
I only use fabric softener when I wash the hair--during the shower and then as a leave-in afterward--but I do think most people use it more often. And I use the Dome Care about twice a day (when I brush), and the flasher once. :)

Edited by Jenny_RR
RoseRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoseRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 8:48pm
Do you have much static?

The flasher is to detangle? I looked it up ont he Sally's website and it says this:

The ultimate, lightweight aerosol shiner spray. Industrial strength gloss that lasts for hours, yet light as air. Gotta see it to believe it!

• For blinding shine and intense luster
  • Works on fine hair without weighing it down
  • Lightweight shine
  • Super fine retro shine
  • Hair polisher

• I am trying to figure out my daily routine. I generallywash my scalp at night, so I will twist it up (boinks!) and secure the curls, then when I get up, finger brush, spray some flasher and go about my business?

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
    Super Elite Member
    Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 8:58pm
    Sure. I think that would work. I like the Dome Care a little better than the Flasher for frequent use, but I think it's really a matter of preference. I'm having more success with this hair by doing less to it overall. The only other thing I would strongly suggest you get (if you don't have 'em already) are a set of flocked rollers. The boinks work well when the curl is still somewhat active, but when the curl falls a lot, you'll need to reset it with the rollers. Do you wash your hair every day? If so, you may want to consider just washing the top and not the length so much, too.

Fortunately, I've had no static problems.

:)
    marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 9:25pm
    Jenny what are flocked rollers I may be needing these when my ph arives
    Jenny_RR View Drop Down
    Super Elite Member
    Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 10:57pm
    Velvet-covered hot rollers--they're the bomb for styling PH. Unless you like to wear your hair stick-straight, I'd really recommend them. For a loose wave, or just to add a slight curl to the ends, I'd get 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 only. For an allover wavy or curly style, you'll probably want more midsized rollers or a mix of sizes. Keep in mind that the vintage sets get much hotter and curl the hair quicker (with longer-lasting results, imo) than the newer ones, which heat up quicker and are easier to use. :)
    Skyeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 9:57pm

Hopefully your not getting that fabric softner in your natural hair. Fabric softner will break down the cuticle of your hair just the way it breaks down fibers in clothing. It's very damaging to human hair.

skyeam
    delin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 12:23am

Hopefully your not getting that fabric softner in your natural hair. Fabric softner will break down the cuticle of your hair just the way it breaks down fibers in clothing. It's very damaging to human hair.

No Kidding, are you serious?  I've been dousing my entire head with fabric softener for 3 months.  This is the first time I've ever heard it breaks down fiber in clothing...I just thought it coated it.
    sherrie215 View Drop Down
    Super Elite Member
    Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 6:03am
    Ive never heard this before. In fact anybody who uses synthetic that Ive known of for years has used fabric softener on their hair. But if there is any evidence or facts to support the idea, I would definitely be interested in knowing about it.
    Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 6:24am

I'm not sure, but in beauty school a rep from Proctor & Gamble came and told us that fabric softener had the same active ingrediant as conditioner, just in higher proportion (dimethicone).

Can someone verify this?

Skyeam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 9:58am
    It relaxes the fibers in cotton. Therefore it will relax your hair cuticle. Relaxers are damaging and will dry out your hair. I'm a licensed cosmetoligist and I never sleep on cotton pillows that have fabric softner in them. I sleep on satin.
    skyeam
    zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 10:44am
    Is it a relaxer in the sense that chemical relaxers are?

Does anyone have a bottle of fabric softener handy and can tell us the first four or five ingredients? Then we can compare it to hair conditioner and see!

-Rae
    sherrie215 View Drop Down
    Super Elite Member
    Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 6:47pm

huhhhhh....how strange is this. My ultra downy says this:

Ingredients: Contains biodegradable fabric softening agents (cationic)

It also says.....

WARNING: do not use on childrens sleepwear or garments labeled as flame resistant, as it may reduce the flame resistance.

And.... by increasing fluffiness can also increase the flammability of certain fabrics, such as fleece and terrycloth. Therefore do not use this product on fabric made with these fluffier type of fabrics.

wow.....you learn something new everyday!

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 6:57pm

ohh I wanna play :D

On my bottle of Xtra Nice N Fluffy (Im a bargain shopper ) I see

"An aqueous solution of cationic softening agent, fragerance, quality control agents, dye and preserative."

what a way to list things without actully SAYING anything.

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 6:57pm
    the fire hazard stuff makes sense.  If its fluffier then you can get more oxygen to the fire...

but i just did a quick google search on cationic surfactants (also what was listed on my trusty bottle of 'pure softness' direct from my bathroom floor).

the second link lists a bunch. many of which are familiar from reading the back of the bottles in my shower.  It lists which are appropriate for conditionerr ad which for textiles.  I'll keep hunting around...
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic