Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with remedy to a dry face

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tbctbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbctbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with remedy to a dry face
    Posted: May 02 2005 at 8:54pm

When I was in high school, I had super oily skin...

Now, I have an oily t-zone, but around my nose, and at my chin, and at one dime size circle near my mouth is incredibly dry...these spots so dry that it is constantly peeling...

I've used Clinque moisutizer, extra strength (the pink one) Clinque...I've used Neova, an Neova night therapy (from a skin institute place)...I've even used advanced copper therapy from Neova ($80 for one box)...nothing works...

I even used this special moisturizing oil stuff (from the skin institute place)...

The only thing that works is if I slather (literally) vasoline on my face...

Now, I realize this isnt great...but its the only thing that seems to work, otherwise, in those places my skin peels/flakes BAD...

Do any of you have any suggestions...this has been going on for more than a year...I had tried microdermabrasion, but cant handle it, cause I cant slather my face with enough moisturizer afterward for it not to peel all over the place...

I have a prescription for RetinA but I wouldnt dream of trying it because it is so dry (but just in those places...

UGH!!

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 9:23pm
I used to have peeling skin around my nose in particular, but just in general. When it peeled up, it would leave sore areas. Anytime I tried to wear makeup, it would peel up in obvious flakes. At the time, the only thing that seemed to help was putting vitamin E oil on it a couple of times a day, but this was pretty greasy.

After a while, I discovered that the problem is I don't shed dead skin, it hangs around and waits to be removed. So whenever I take a shower, I thoroughly scrub my face with something abrasive, like a body scrubber. This removes the dead skin and I no longer have any problem.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
tbctbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbctbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 9:35pm

I'm not sure, microdermabrasion does just that, I've done it about 4 times, but the peeling got much worse after that...maybe vitamin e would work?

I have an MD Forte glycolic acid fae wash that shoul also do the same thing, but it makes the spots peel even worse...

so I dont think that its that I dont exfoliate?

PS-Thanks for responding...I've been lurking for a while, this is my first night actually posting:)

Edited by tbctbc
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 8:28am
This sounds like a condition my husband and sister get. THey use a prescription topical cream with steroids in it. It is an actual dermatological condition (nothing serious, just aesthetic) and the only reason I know this because my husband is a physician and he has had the problem for years, but like you only in certain areas. It is most common around corners of the nostrils and the area between the mouth and chin. For my sister it flares up at certain times, like after she had her children (all five of them). If this is truly what you have, heavy moisturizers will probably not clear it up, but they may help. Unfortunately, the only cream that has worked for my husband is La Mer, which is a ridiculously expensive face cream made with seawood concentrate and algae. Since he started using it he has not had any of the dry spots. Please don't run out and buy this unless you are truly truly desperate, you could feed a small country on the price of one little jar of it! Plus it is very heavy, if you have oily zones like I do your face will look like an oil slick by midmorning!
tbctbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbctbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 7:13pm
Thanks so much...I'll try to find it on ebay, usually it costs less there...I am...ummm...pretty desperate at this point
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 8:32pm
I would hesitate before you buy any kind of expensive cream
on Ebay. Even though the cream retails for $200, paying $30
for a "knock-off" would still be a rip-off. These jars do not come
sealed and with all the scam artists out there, you could be
buying some drugstore brand that was put in a LaMer Jar.
Please use caution before shopping for pharmaceuticals or
health/beauty products on Ebay, you truly never know what you
are getting.    If you are determined to try it, go to a high-end
department store (Neiman's, Saks, Bloomies, Bergdorf,
Marshall Fields, Nordstrom) and ask for samples. If you explain
your situation I am sure they would at least give you a couple to
try. Good luck!!
jstele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jstele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 8:24am
This sounds like an internal problem. But first, make sure that you are using the right cleanser for your skin type.

Try adding more essential fatty acids to your diet. This softens your skin naturally. I go into it at more length in my other post "Acne Cure".
jstele
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 11:46pm
Go to Lamasbeauty.com. They have the best products. Nothing worked for me. Even the expensive department store products. Trust me, these products are amazing. Get the anti-aging package. It repairs, tones, balances, brightens skin. It does it all. The products are 100% natural. Alot of people in Hollywood use these products. And the products have been featured in many mangazines as the best products. Specially the moisturizer. Try the pumpkin spice facial polish. It works great for combination skin and removes black heads from the first time you use it. They have a 100% money back guarantee. If they don't work for you, they give you your money back. And their customer service is incredible. You will love them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic