Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GLUE questions!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
missy66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GLUE questions!
    Posted: May 06 2005 at 6:17pm

Hi, can someone please tell me...the difference between

these glue stick at $20

http://drlocks.net/cart/product_info.php/products_id/47

and a pack of 25 glue sticks at a craft store for under $4???

and this type of glue- is it better then glue sticks??

http://drlocks.net/cart/product_info.php/products_id/64

Thank you for anyone who can answer!

Missy

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 6:50pm
The problem is that there are many different formulations of hot melt glue. The kind you're supposed to use on your hair should come out with acetone. Any other kind, if you want to risk it, you'd better practice on a mannequin to see if you can get the bonds out after you're done with it.

It would be too bad if you damaged your hair removing your bonds.

But it would be really too bad if you ended up having to cut out your extensions when the time came to remove them.

Edited by eKatherine

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
missy66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 7:00pm

Hi

If i have a mannequin head with human hair and test the glue, and I have some remover- neither of which I have ever used= do I just rub it on with a cotton ball or something? The remover is in a squirt bottle- should it squirt on and just disolve it right away? Thanks

Missy

zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 8:29pm
See, those are two diffeent kinds of glues. The first one is a hot-melt glue, of the kind used for strand-by-strand fusion- usually wax or protein-based. It dries hard and lasts for a few months, after which point you have to remove it with acetone (or orange oil) and pick pick pick. The board here seems ot be split on the issue of fusion; some of us believe it's damaging, some of us elieve it isn't, and some believe it depends on the glue brand and the strength of one's own hair. Handle with caution, in any case.

The second kind is a cold glue- it comes in a liquid form, is latex-based, and dries slightly soft. It only lasts for a few weeks, though clever application (such as Sherrie's weft method) can make it last up to a month or two. This kind of glue is generally used for wefts. I've never heard of anyone having damage from latex glue. The remover for this stuff is basically oil- conditioner or braid spray will do the same thing. The removal can be difficult in getting all the gummy bits out, but I've never heard of anyone having hair pulled out by it- but that's because it's a relatively weak glue.

Here's some demos to help you understand the methods one uses with each glue:
Strand-by-strand fusion (for the X10 sticks)

Weft bonding (for the latex glue)

-Rae
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 8:32pm
Oh, and one more thing: dear god don't use glue sticks from a craft store. Keratin protein glue is hard enough to get out of hair, and that stuff at least has a remover. Hot craft glue _doesn't_ have a remover, can't be broken up by crushing, etc etc. You would have to cut the glue off of your head.

-Rae
missy66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 8:42pm
Ok thank you! it is just the glue sticks from the craft store and glue stick for hair look the same! LOL
TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 9:24pm

Ditto to Rae, a 17 yr old girl came to my salon one sat evening, in tears,about three weeks prior, her girlfriend HOT glued bulk hair into her head(they didnt know any better and didnt know to research) when she wanted them out, the girl took a flat iron and tired to get the glue to melt and come out, all that was left was a huge knotted mess of her hair, extension hair and glue, all knotted and matted together- literally it was ear to ear and was two inches thick, looked like a huge birds nest. i grabged my assistant and we tried to get the mess undone, all the while she cried..

After about three hrs and after trying, alcohol, acetone, heat, oil, conditioner, and tenderly trying to save her hair, we were able to get most of it out, she went home with conditioners and had her mom try to work it out- they ended up cutting the rest of the wad out.

PLEASE do not even attempt to use craft glue.

there are Plenty of other options out there. Read read read. this board is full of some highly intelligent women who have done hrs and hrs of research- even i as a professional have learned tons from them.

Edited by TanglesRC
BirdOfEden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BirdOfEden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 9:28pm
Okay, well since I've been one of those pro-fusion people, I'll chime in.   At first, I had to do a lot of experimenting:  with different glues, size of strands, how far away from scalp, how many rows, how big/small the bonds were, amount of glue to use, getting the hang of rolling, etc..  I wasn't quite as delicate with my hair as I should have been and I did get some breakage.  However, after a few installs I have refined  my technique a great deal and learned a lot through experience.  Now I get next to NO breakage at all and I'm pretty happy with fusion as a whole.  The key is that you really have to practice, observe, and fine tune your technique and above all....BE GENTLE!  Anyhow, I am pretty happy with fusion, BUT I am now trying out  pinchbraids because I'd like to not always have to be so "delicate and careful" with my hair.  Pinchbraids can definitely stand a little more wear and tear without breaking your natural hair.  Fusion is great if you want your extensions to be virtually un-noticeable, BUT I would not recommend it if you can't commit to treating your hair like spun gold!
Alexia81189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 3:03pm
is there any glue that doesnt come off glue remover? I make my own machine wefts and I wanted a way to prevent weft shedding. I need a glue thats a soft gel that I can put in the weft while making it. I make double drawn wefts using a sewing machine and I wanted a glue or some other form of "shedding preventor" to put on the weft before folding it over to do two more rows of stitching. Does that make sense? I use liquid gold to bond the wefts to the head and the liquid gold remover.
Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 3:29pm
will stop fraying glue work?
Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 5:08pm
bump.. sorry plz help
gsmilie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2005 at 10:00am
I read just recently read that someone was putting crazy glue gel onto the wefts prior to bonding them onto the hair, and that she was haveing no shedding problems.  Maybe that would work for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic