Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Totally divided on short and long hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Totally divided on short and long hair
    Posted: May 07 2005 at 6:00am

Hi everyone. I'm new here and am very glad to have found this site! I searched for a long time trying to find a discussion board for short hair, but found that most of them were kind of....umm.....strange.

Anyway, I have been thinking of cutting my hair in a short style for quite some time now.  That is, one day I really want to do it.and the next day I really DON'T want to.  I am completely 50/50 on the idea.  I've tried to convince myself to stay long and then I've tried to convince myself to go short. Neither works

My hair is red /strawberry blonde and quite curly. When it grows longer it forms nice ringlets / spiral curls.  When it is shorter, it is more wavy.  My reasons for cutting it short are: I am a Mum of two who also works and I feel it would save me some time, I feel that I am of an age now (32) where long hair is not really suitable, short hair would update my look and be better suited to my professional career path, and finally...I really want a "hair style" instead of just hair!  My reasons for not cutting it are: I sometimes really enjoy my curls when they are long and better formed, I don't use hair products (like styling products), I can wear my  hair up easily, I get compliments on my hair as it is, I feel secure behind my hair and think that my face / bone structure is not good enough to be shown off with short hair!   These are just a few reasons....

OK, so I'm going to attach pics of me now and I'm hoping that someone could just say "hey...yes...you NEED short hair" or "no way, you couldn't carry it off...better keep it long".  Or something to that effect   My face is sort of small and I'm a small boned person, but I hate my chin (I have a crooked jaw and a yucky little pouch of fat underneath my chin).  What styles would suit?  I really like the short messy/bedhead look aka Meg Ryan.

shorter hair

The last pic is what it looks like medium length (I really don't like this in between look though.....I like long or short)

So what should I do?

Thanks for reading

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 10:03am
I know this is a short hair board, but...[soapbox]

Your long hair looks lovely on you and suits you fine.

If you want short hair, good for you. But it sounds like a major reason you're considering a chop is that you're "too old" to have long, beautiful curls and it's time to retire that look, even though it seems to be what suits you best.

Updos are always professional. I personally think you should wait until it is you that wants a short cut.

There are way too many women who have lousy short haircuts because they think they're "too old" for long hair. [/soapbox]

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 10:25am

I think you're hair looks fine the way it is.

I know everyone on here will probably disagree with me, but this is the "short hair" thread. If you asked the same question on the "long hair" thread ie: "should I keep my hair long or cut it short?" all the replies will say keep it long. It all depends who you ask. Speaking as someone who went from longer than you to very short earlier this year and then hated it (and now has extensions), maybe I'm biased though.

Edited by redhairedgirl
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 3:12pm

Your long hair looks fantastic and your age and career (other than careers such as actress etc) are certainly not valid reasons for changing it and I can not see the alleged problems with your jawline.

I can understand the concept of "I want a hairstyle not just hair" but to me you have a perfectly good style at present.

I've never understood why some women spend 99% of the time with their long hair in an updo rather than succumbing to the scissors.

You sound more comfortable with the thought of longer hair and I'd say keep it long for now.  There is no harm in delaying your decision and accept that you will know when and if the time is right to cut it short in the future.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
DM61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DM61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 7:11pm

missrini

I can do a photography makeover for you if you want to see what you would look like with short. Just post a picture of yourself with your hair pulled back off your face and ears. Or you can just e-mail it to me and I send back the photo's of you with short hair. My e-mail is dm_61@yahoo.com. Good luck.

David

Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 10:24pm
Okay, here's the thing that's happening. Women with long hair who would
never cut it or those who cut it and didn't like it are telling you not to cut
your hair. Guys who like long hair will tell you not to cut it. Eventually,
guys who like short hair will tell you to cut it and women who like their
short hair will also.

That's awful. You're asking what's right for you, not them. Not what they
like.

The only way to know if you'll like it short is to cut it short. But that's
scary. If you're not ready for it, you may hate it. You sound like you like
your hair long... most of the time. But you're restless. You're intrigued by
short hair. But you're scared. Go to a wig store and try on a short wig. See
how you'd look. If that doesn't convince you one or another, wait a little
while. You could totally do short hair, but you should go in with the
attitude it's what you really want.
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 12:03am

OK...most people here know that i'm a big fan of short hair. However, I will give you an honest opinion instead of my standard reply(pixie cut of course)

My honest reply is this: if you are wanting to go short, I think the Elizabeth Shue look from the "Palmetto" or "Hollow Man" movies would look pretty good with your curls.  That's a pretty good shorter look with curly hair, IMO. 

Again, just my two cents. Follow the link below for a good pic of her.

http://us.ent4.yimg.com/et.tv.yahoo.com/lib/images/celebs/bi rthdays/10/133_elisabethshue.jpg

A good pic of the back:

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/ movie_pix/columbia_pictures/hollow_man/hollowman.jpg

We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 4:51am

Wow...thanks everyone for the replies! I think I may need to clarify something though....cutting my hair because I am getting older is just ONE of my reasons.  I do realise that it might sound like I am reacting to other ppl's opinions of my long hair and how appropriate it is.  I also think that it would be quite liberating to cut it off, sort of leave behind the old me whose self image was attached to her long hair!  Having said all of this, I am still undecided

I guess it might be more relevant for me to ask if any other ppl out there have had this same dilemma...ie had long hair and then went short.  What did you think about the short hair cut? Was it what you expected? Better? Did it make you feel any different?

Arch..thanks for those links to E Shue. I had not considered wearing it curly if it was short, so that was very interesting!

Incidentally, my husband (God bless him) says that it'd look great either way. He's really very sweet, but rather unhelpful

redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 9:43am

Hi Missrini,

Seeing as you asked so nicely , I'll share my experiences of going from long to short. Oh, and I wasn't trying to put you off going short, I totally understand why you would want to, I did it to try and get taken more seriously.

As I mentioned I had longer hair than you and went very short back in January. I hated it straight away. I felt plain and unsexy. On the plus side it's much easier to take care of and getting ready in the mornings was much quicker. I guess short hair just wasn't me, that's why I had extensions. I reckon the idea of a wig is cool, if I'd tried that I could have saved a lot of tears.

Hope this helps....

And I thought of something else! I went short in January when it was winter here in England and my head was freezing, I was worried about getting frostbite in my ears

Edited by redhairedgirl
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by missrini missrini wrote:

Wow...thanks everyone for the replies! I think I may need to clarify something though....cutting my hair because I am getting older is just ONE of my reasons.  I do realise that it might sound like I am reacting to other ppl's opinions of my long hair and how appropriate it is.  I also think that it would be quite liberating to cut it off, sort of leave behind the old me whose self image was attached to her long hair!  Having said all of this, I am still undecided

I guess it might be more relevant for me to ask if any other ppl out there have had this same dilemma...ie had long hair and then went short.  What did you think about the short hair cut? Was it what you expected? Better? Did it make you feel any different?

Arch..thanks for those links to E Shue. I had not considered wearing it curly if it was short, so that was very interesting!

Incidentally, my husband (God bless him) says that it'd look great either way. He's really very sweet, but rather unhelpful

Hi and welcome to the board! First off your hair is beautiful. The ringlet curls and waves in your hair are very nice and I love the color. You have a very strong jawline and chin and a shorter haircut will make that a more dominant feature on your face. So you might not want to go too short if you are still thinking short.

Also keep in mind that many women think..."Oh I'll cut my hair short it'll be easier to maintain!" This is not always the case. Shorter hair needs frequent trims to keep that salon fresh look....every 4-6 weeks and at times it can be just as frustrating as long hair to style or get it to do what you want it to.

But good luck to ya and let us know what ya decide to do.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 12:14am

You look great as you are, but if you wanted to try out short hair, I think you could pull it off well.  If you're still 50/50 on the idea, you should probably hold off until you're more sure, to make sure you don't regret it.  Maybe if you try on a short wig and like how it looks, you could buy it and wear it for a week or two as a test run before deciding.

I'm not sure if my personal experience is very helpful or not, since I never actually liked long hair, but I definitely look and feel better in short.  To me, there was more trauma in feeling forced to keep long hair all through childhood than there was in finally being rid of it.

More awesome than a manatee!
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 1:00am

My wife went from long to short just over a year ago after having worn her long hair for many years (and being mortified of having more than an inch trimmed off).  She loves it, wished she had done it years ago and has subsequently gone shorter still and has no desire whatsoever to grow it back again at present.  The reactions of other people to her style were all positive and the only questions she had was "what was wrong with my old style and why did nobody tell me it was a mess"

The main driver for her decision was that she spent most of the time tying her back and with a young child could not find the time or suitable occasion when it was worth investing the time to blow dry her long hair.  Her short hair is in a "messy" style and has significantly reduced her styling time - so she is one very happy lady.

Unfortunatley there is no way of telling if you will feel positive about going short or instantly regret it like Redhairedgirl.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 5:32am

Thanks for that. Redhairedgirl, isn't it funny how so much of our personality is attached to our hair? You mentioned how you felt plain and unsexy afterwards..and I wonder if I would feel the same way?

Claude, I know that some short hair styles take time to style too, but I envisioned myself with a messy, unstructured hairstyle. I fantasize that I will just be able to run my gelled hands through it in an "artistic" way and it would just look fabulous like that

Kuroneko, what is the deal with wigs? It does sound like a good idea to buy one and I will definitely look into doing that, but I would think that the shops probably wouldn't let you just try them on at random. What about the hygiene problem?  Anyway....it does sound like a great idea.

Heratic...I can totally relate to your wife. I have 2 young kids (3 years and 1 year) and I just have to wear my hair up around them (or it gets pulled out!).  Also, I don't get out to special occasions as often as I used to, so the times that I take the effort to wear my hair down (which, I might add, mainly consists of air drying time!) are becoming few and far between.  I agree with the sentiment: why bother having long hair if you wear it up all the time anyway?

Anyway, I think what I will do is this: buy a short wig, and wait until I am SURE one way or the other.  Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who has replied!  This seems like a great board and I think I will stick around for a while

Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 7:01am

I can help answer that question about the wigs!  They put like a plastic cap on your head so you can try them on.  That way it cuts down on the hygiene.  Then when you are sure that you try on the one that you want to buy you can try it on without the plastic on.  A short wig is a terrific idea!  They have got them in all kinds now---not like they were yrs ago. You are very pretty and your hair is gorgeous. But with having 2 kids at that age I can understand!  Have fun deciding!  Debbie 

There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 12:38pm

missrini, I'm not sure if you're coming back to read this BUT I have to tell you that I think you look GREAT the way your hair is! I agree with another poster that short hair may emphasize your prominent jawline and may be out of "balance" with your short hair.

I got all my hair cut off a couple years ago, I felt invigorated for one week, and then desperately wanted my hair back.  Lately, I've been wanting to chop it again, so with the help of this board I'm at a standstill.  I also looked back at pictures of my hair at various lengths and that helped me realize I look better with medium length, not terribly short hair.

Don't cut your awesome hair off just because you've never had short hair.  Also, since you said you don't use styling products, if you get short pixie hair, you'd need styling products to keep it looking like a "style".

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 1:10pm

Missrini, my wife is 45 with hair to her hips, tho' an inch or two must be trimmed soon. I think that long hair makes most, not all, women look younger and prettier. And your hair is scintillating now! (BTW, both DW and I succumbed to the age myth when she was 36.)

It's your hair, and I'm sure that short would look fine on you also, if the urge to chop becomes too great. Good luck. Hope you're happy!  Bob

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

Missrini, my wife is 45 with hair to her hips, tho' an inch or two must be trimmed soon. I think that long hair makes most, not all, women look younger and prettier. And your hair is scintillating now! (BTW, both DW and I succumbed to the age myth when she was 36.)

It's your hair, and I'm sure that short would look fine on you also, if the urge to chop becomes too great. Good luck. Hope you're happy!  Bob

Bob,

Please refrain from "I think that long hair makes most women look younger and prettier..." messages here.  This is the Short hair forum.  It is appropriate to comment on her hair, but not the general case of your preferences.

Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2005 at 6:53pm
I also think your hair looks great as it is.  But if you decide to go short and then don't like it, just remember that it will grow back! 
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
adhemar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adhemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2005 at 3:56pm

Hi missrini,

I agree with previous posters: you do look lovely like that.  But if you really are so much considering to go short why don't you just try it? I always feel that it's better to regret having done something then regretting not having done it (as long as we're not talking about illegal stuff ;-) )

If you don't like it, it will grow back anyway. So I would say: just try it. Also if you don't like it, you may find a new style along the way of regrowing it which you like more then the one you have now. And by the way: I wouldn't worry about your face shape, I honestly think short hair would look great with your face!

So I'd say: go for it but like I said, you're already looking lovely like that.

alvin8191 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alvin8191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2005 at 6:01pm

Missrini, you look great in your pictures and I'm guessing that you'll look great with short hair as well. Go for it! Find a good stylist and talk it over. See what he or she would suggest to go along with your face type. Just have a little taken off to start. If you're feeling confident, go shorter. Keep us posted! 

short is good, buzzed is better, bald is best!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic