Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need suggestions, please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TaraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need suggestions, please
    Posted: May 12 2005 at 1:18pm

Hi Everyone!

I just got my hair cut from waist level to shoulder length a few weeks ago.  I kind of like it but I feel like I want more of a change and think that a short look would be fun.  Besides, it will always grow back.  The problem is that everyone, including my husband, is trying to talk me out of it.  I have always had my hair long and I've just gotten to the point that I want a drastic change but everyone keeps telling me that short wouldn't look good on me.  I can't help but think that perhaps they are just saying this because they've only known me as being the "long haired girl".  LOL.

Here is a recent picture of me...not the best.  What do you all think?  Should I try and go shorter? 

Thanks in advance for all of your help! 

Tara Myzie
Bethlehem, PA
buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzedboblover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 1:25pm

Hi Tara, It would be easy to say, "Oh yes, get it cut short", etc as I think you'd really suit a nice short bob but you must consider if that is what YOU are sure you really want ? Also it would be wise to remember that although it is your hair to do with as you please, If your hubby is really against you cutting it shorter again so soon, maybe you should give him a bit of time to adjust before going even shorter and avoid any unnessesary agro. Just my tuppenceworth. Hope it helps.

TaraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 1:34pm

Originally posted by buzzedboblover buzzedboblover wrote:

If your hubby is really against you cutting it shorter again so soon, maybe you should give him a bit of time to adjust before going even shorter and avoid any unnessesary agro.

My wonderful hubby is not totally agianst it.  He's just scared because he's never seen me with short hair.  He said that if I gave him some pics of different short styles that I liked, he would seriously think about it and perhaps go for it.  I would never completely leave him out of the decision making process but at the same time I want him to be a bit open minded about it.  That's where you all come in. 

Tara Myzie
Bethlehem, PA
buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzedboblover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 2:01pm
Ok, well yes I think with your facial features you'd suit a nice short bob or similar style
TaraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 3:51pm

Okay...This is the style that I like the best.  I have to say, I showed these pics to a couple of co-workers and they thought I would look great in it.  What's the verdict with all of you? 

Edited by TaraM
Tara Myzie
Bethlehem, PA
stacy615 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stacy615 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 5:50pm
I love the style...go for it!!!
sondraw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sondraw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 6:20pm
me too, its really cute!  have you thought about maybe doing the color too?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 6:35pm
The style looks great, but it's going to take a lot of styling and product to get your hair to do that.

Something to keep in mind when you're talking to the stylist.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
TaraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 7:10pm

Originally posted by sondraw sondraw wrote:

have you thought about maybe doing the color too?

I have but I think that if I got it cut I might just not color it...yet.  My hubby prefers my dark hair.  Can't have any fun with him.  LOL  Actually, I used to highlight my hair all the time and when I met my husband, my hair was almost completely blond.  He talked me into stopping with the highlights.  My hair lightens a lot in the summer so I'll play things by ear and see how things go. 

As far as the amount of styling needed, I assumed there would be some amount of styling to get the back to curl up but when my hair is cut short it curls naturally so I don't think that would be too bad.  How difficult would it be for me to style this in the morning?  I have no fear of products, I just never had the kind of do that required them.

Tara Myzie
Bethlehem, PA
TaraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 7:13pm

By the way...
If anyone has any other style suggestions, I am certainly open to hearing about them.  If possible, could you provide a picture?  My husband asked that I show him pictures of styles so he can help choose before I go get it cut.

Thanks!

Tara Myzie
Bethlehem, PA
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 12:03pm

I LOVE the cut that you posted!  I think it would look really good on you.  If you do get it cut that style, make sure you watch the way the stylist works your hair to get it to flip.  Let us know what you decide to do!!

Goodluck!

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by TaraM TaraM wrote:

By the way...
If anyone has any other style suggestions, I am certainly open to hearing about them.  If possible, could you provide a picture?  My husband asked that I show him pictures of styles so he can help choose before I go get it cut.

Thanks!

Tara your hair looks thin and fine....not so sure if you went that short if you'd be able to get your hair looking that exact way. That short style requires alot of product and with fine, thin hair like your picture shows that actually might weigh down your hair and you'd never acheive that particular look with the fullness that that model has in that picture. But it is a nice haircut and you do have the facial features to carry a shorter look like that off.

Personally I think you should go gradually shorter. Also keep in mind shorter isn't always less maintenence and it does require more frequent trims to maintain that look.

G'luck and let us know what ya do.

What about something like this with some lighter brown highlights?

or how bout this?

TaraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 7:18pm

Yes, my hair is fine.  However it's actually quite thick.  The day that this pic was taken, I had been wearing a hat all day and the weight of my long-ish hair really makes it look thin.  That's actually one of the reasons I want to cut it.  Stylists and friends who have cut my hair always look at it first and say, "You have such fine, thin hair." But then after having to comb and cut it for a bit they always say, "My gosh your hair is so thick.  It never ends." 

I am worried that the fineness of my hair will make the sort of style that I want unattainable but I am hopeful that my stylist can give me something that's just as fun and carefree looking.  It doesn't have to match the style I posted exactly...Although it would be really cool if I could have that style.   As for maintenance, I don't mind the amount of time spent in the morning or the regular trimmings. 

Anyway, I went by the salon this evening and got an appointment for next Saturday morning, the 21st.   

As soon as I get home, I will have the hubby take pics and post them here for you all to see.  There's nothing worse than someone who asks for advice, gets everyone's hopes up, only to not share the results.

Tara Myzie
Bethlehem, PA
kateadreena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kateadreena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2005 at 10:41am

Hi Everyone!

I just got my hair cut from waist level to shoulder length a few weeks ago.  I kind of like it but I feel like I want more of a change and think that a short look would be fun.  Besides, it will always grow back.  The problem is that everyone, including my husband, is trying to talk me out of it.  I have always had my hair long and I've just gotten to the point that I want a drastic change but everyone keeps telling me that short wouldn't look good on me.  I can't help but think that perhaps they are just saying this because they've only known me as being the "long haired girl".  LOL.

Here is a recent picture of me...not the best.  What do you all think?  Should I try and go shorter? 

Thanks in advance for all of your help! 

well today i got my hair cut into an A-line bob from having short hair all my life and i love it!

TABA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TABA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2005 at 12:31pm
Kate, Are you showing pictures?
loveitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2005 at 3:28pm
Tara... go with what YOU like, and forget about everyone else.  Your husband will get use to the change and probably like it a lot.  If he doesn't, hair grows back.

How about some of these...

Just some of my favorites.  Good luck  We'd love to see what you chose!
loveitshort
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 6:38am

Yes, my hair is fine.  However it's actually quite thick.  The day that this pic was taken, I had been wearing a hat all day and the weight of my long-ish hair really makes it look thin.  That's actually one of the reasons I want to cut it.  Stylists and friends who have cut my hair always look at it first and say, "You have such fine, thin hair." But then after having to comb and cut it for a bit they always say, "My gosh your hair is so thick.  It never ends." 

I am worried that the fineness of my hair will make the sort of style that I want unattainable but I am hopeful that my stylist can give me something that's just as fun and carefree looking.  It doesn't have to match the style I posted exactly...Although it would be really cool if I could have that style.   As for maintenance, I don't mind the amount of time spent in the morning or the regular trimmings. 

Anyway, I went by the salon this evening and got an appointment for next Saturday morning, the 21st.   

As soon as I get home, I will have the hubby take pics and post them here for you all to see.  There's nothing worse than someone who asks for advice, gets everyone's hopes up, only to not share the results.

Your hair can't be fine and thick it's not possible. What they are probably thinking is thickness as they comb thru your hair is the density of your hair which is the number of hairs per square inch on your head that many people mistake as thick hair. Thick and thin has to do with the actual diameter of your hair. Typically hair has 3 layers the cuticle, cortex and medulla. The inner most layer the medulla is usually not present in thin hair or it's very small. Well G'luck with your new look and post some pics.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 9:22pm
Thick and thin is how much hair you have, coarse and fine is the diameter of the individual hairs.

So my hair is fine and thick.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 3:07am

Yup, some males can be very resistant to change, so they'll kick and scream and make a huge fuss at first, to try to get their way :-P .  But after they get over their pouting session, they'll get used to the change and come around.

Anyway, I like this red one here ^_^ .  And if it gets in the way too much, it would look cute with a little hair clippie or two, as well!

Originally posted by loveitshort loveitshort wrote:

Tara... go with what YOU like, and forget about everyone else.  Your husband will get use to the change and probably like it a lot.  If he doesn't, hair grows back.

More awesome than a manatee!
TaraM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaraM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 4:31pm

OKay...Today was the big day!  I had scheduled my appt. for tomorrow (Sat.) but had to reschedule it to today and boy was it fun!  My stylist was awesome!  She gave me a great cut that should be very easy to maintain.  She gave me a razor cut because she said it would help my hair to strand up and boy was she right!  All she needed to do was blowdry and wow did my hair stand up! 

And the best part of all....My husband LOVES it!  I told him that I looked better with short hair but he didn't believe me.  Well, now he does and he's very happy with the results.  I'm going back next week to get some highlights and lowlights to finish things up.

Here are the pics:

Thank you all for all of your help! 

Edited by TaraM
Tara Myzie
Bethlehem, PA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic